Seized shock absorber studs

Robert Dean

I picked up some new front shock absorbers for my 87 GN because i noticed one was leaking so i figured i'd change them both. The front end felt kind of bouncy so i thought it was time for some new ones anyways. The first thing I tried to do was take the top mount nut off the shock stud.........it just spun the rod of the shock around. So I figured "ok, gotta hold the stud some how and crank the nut off." I found a socket that fit real tight on the top of the stud and hammered it on, got my tools ready and thought it would break loose and away i go. Nope!!! The nut is seized on so bad that I actually twisted the top of the stud off trying to break the nut loose. Has anyone else experienced this before? How do I get the shocks out if the top nut is seized? Only thing i can think of is to heat the nut up with a torch and then try turning it out, but if I'm going to do that then why not just cut off the top of the shock stud, nut and all with the torch and be done with it. Anybody done this before or have any suggestions on how to get this done without a torch?

Impact
Try holding the chrome shaft with a pair of vise grips
Go in through the spring to clamp the shock rod

Or use a die grinder and cut it off at the top, whack it with a big hammer

Gas axe is usually the best plan or at least the quickest. You aren't reusing the shock so getting it out even In pieces is a win. Impact, air hammer with a chisel on it to split the nut/shaft, a sawzall or rotary cutter of some type. I sure am glad they don't salt the roads down here.

Put the socket on and the ratchet, hopefully it's a decent one. Rock the handle up and down bending the stud. Eventually it will snap. Safer than a torch, that's the last option.

Jam nuts back to back snug the top one against the bottom one then use two wrenches opposing.

Sent from my Spaceship.

Cut off wheel is first but kind of a pain. If you're got a propane torch heat the shaft and nut, then put a candle on it to melt the wax onto it. The wax will work it's way down and act like a lube. Hold the shaft with a pair of vice grips and use and impact to finish the process.

Update on my shock absorber issues. I got the job done with a torch. I'm a welder by trade so I have lots of leathers kicking around. I covered everything up around the area of each shock with all my leathers and just cut them off as quick as I could. Had a buddy stand by and eyeball things while I did the job. It went well and no issues. New shocks are in and life is good. :)