SEFI8LO and Accel VIC (Alternative Individual Cylinder Control Options)

V

VPREATR

Has anyone interfaced an Accel VIC with a Speed Density SEFI8LO? The reason I'm asking, is to obtain individual cylinder control a sequential upgrade is needed on the SEFI8LO. Using the VIC would provide individual cylinder control (25% fuel trim) without the required SEFI8LO software upgrade.

Now upgrading to a sequential normally wouldn't be a problem, but in Optispark driven vehicles; only one company offered the ability to convert the resolution signals into Cam/Crank signals the SEFI8LO could use in SEFI mode. (Bothwell Automotive) Unfortunately that harness is no longer available (Lynkx), nor was it reasonable in cost.

Next option would be modifying the Optispark to drive a cam signal only and use a crank trigger in concert; however using a crank trigger on the LTx cars hasn’t been painless nor does it function mounting-wise in a blower driven setup. It may even be possible to use the eDIST and drive LS1 coils using the Optispark as a cam position sensor; however a crank signal issue remains. The key is to obtain even a minimal approach to individual cylinder control.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You don't need a cam sync signal to do individual cylinder fuel control on a SEFI system. Since each injector is driven from a dedicated I/O port on the cpu, the correlation is always correct. Snychronization with the valve event is another issue however. The individual cylinder option also allows control of the spark timing of each cylinder independantly. You can experiment with these features whether or not you have the option by simply changing the values in the individual cylinder parameters. Without the option however, the settings will be erased when the ECU is powered down.

Also, I have talked to many people who have altered the small trigger disk in the opti-spark distributer to provide both crank and cam signals. I suppose it would be possible to either make a new disk or epoxy closed the appropriate holes in it. We also successfully experimented in retrofitting a Cadillac Northstar ignition on a LT-1 engine. I would expect a kit to be available for this purpose soon from another source.

Lance

Lance:
I appreciate your reply, might you have any further insight on the Northstar ignition retrofit? As for the Optispark modification, I’ve spoken with several on the modification to a cam sensor only; but nothing on a cam/crank signal conversion from the Opti. Last I heard Bothwell Automotive offered a costly conversion box that split the resolution signals accordingly. If anyone has information on this type of conversion (cam/crank signal from modified Opti), please let me know.

Additionally, if I were to upgrade my SEFI8LO WB to Individual cylinder control; I presently use a splice harness, but would this effect the stand alone harness that was shipped with the LT1/LT4 system (used for dyno testing purposes)?

Thanks!

Lance:
Also, I have talked to many people who have altered the small trigger disk in the opti-spark distributer to provide both crank and cam signals. I suppose it would be possible to either make a new disk or epoxy closed the appropriate holes in it. We also successfully experimented in retrofitting a Cadillac Northstar ignition on a LT-1 engine. I would expect a kit to be available for this purpose soon from another source.

Would it be possible for you to announce any of the companies possibly working such a solution or any of the people that have done a successful trigger disk modification? This would open up many new opportunities for LT1 owners.

Other options are dual sync distributors, however extensive modification is needed. Your help/assistance would be appreciated.

Also, is there any pricing on the eDIST at present?

Thanks!

Why aren't you just sending your intake to Chris Sikora and allow him to modify it for a distributor?

this would be your easiest route.

i know he did it to his

VPREATR, I have an LT1 in my 95 Chevy K5 Blazer. I am using both the factory ecu and an accel DFI system. The guy that did it for me was Rene Leflame (sp). Mac at FastTrack hooked me up with Rene (he is in the Dallas area).

I don't know if he did to mine what you are looking for but I do know that he is very good! If you are interested I can try to dig up his contact information.

Butch