Seeking 109 Engine Building Advice

I would build this in a stage 2 block. I would also reconsider the compression ratio. You can get it done around 22-23psi with everything in place. Dont scrimp on the converter. HV pumps are overkill most of the time but id run one with those clearances.

Maybe I'll do a stage block in the future but I want to do a stock block. I should clairify that I just want the bottom end components/setup capable of touching the nines (For future combination changes and a little extra head room). This car will be setup to run mid to low tens.

About the oiling, I was thinking that too. Will the T/A Pump Cover really compensate for the larger bearing clearances? I would think with this extra flow & volume using stock pump would cause pressure to drop below it's already low idle pressure.

...... I want to do a stock block... This car will be setup to run mid to low tens.

About the oiling, I was thinking that too. Will the T/A Pump Cover really compensate for the larger bearing clearances? I would think with this extra flow & volume using stock pump would cause pressure to drop below it's already low idle pressure.

We have never run a high volume pump on a 109 block even into the 8's, there is no need for the higher volume pump gears if the oiling system is set up properly. Our builds run 35-45 psi at idle hot to 60-70 psi at RPM.

Low oil pressure at idle in our performance build is under 25 psi? :eek:

As far as the bearing clearances quoted in this thread, they are normal for a performance turbo Buick build. The factory specs apply to an economy V-6 engine, NOT the turbo engines.

I have yet to see a V-6 bearing problem from too loose a clearance, but MANY with them too tight. :smile:

The TA pump cover/external supply is not workable on a 109 block.

Maybe I'll do a stage block in the future but I want to do a stock block. I should clairify that I just want the bottom end components/setup capable of touching the nines (For future combination changes and a little extra head room). This car will be setup to run mid to low tens.

I'd just run the cheapest forged kit you can find and have someone familiar with these do the machine work. The TA cover is a great idea unless you or the machinist is familiar with cleaning up a stock one. If you run the tall gears in the pump you will be adjusting the viscosity down even with those clearances. More oil pressure doesn't help if you had enough before. 12psi per thousand rpm under load with hot oil is plenty. Pressure at idle doesn't matter. If you can get the car down to 3200lbs you would only need about 560whp to run 9's

I choose Diamond because they were lighter than JE pistons. I do realize there is some article floating about how little crown thickness the diamond pistons have. I have not seen it and cannot find it for the life of me. I'm still going with diamonds because I have not heard any reports of the piston failing because of this.

The heads will be Champion GN1 or TA aluminum and have not made up my mind as to if any porting will be necessary. I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Here's what your looking for.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/308688-broken-diamond-piston-pics-why.html