Sealed Power L2481F30 - Speed-Pro Powerforged Buick Pistons

88_pacifica

Are these truly 'forged' or are they merely re-badged 'hyper' pistons. I find it VERY hard to believe they are forged, but if so, I may give them a whirl. My experience is that Jegs has minimal perf parts for our applications, so I am very skeptical. I have 'limited' experience with these forged parts, but I am shooting for a higher hp application, so, any recommendations and opinions. Anyone running these maybe? I need a slight bit of room for tuning 'error' as I gain more experience, so shoot out your ideas. Thanks...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Sealed-Power/844/L2481F30/10002/-1

stock can go further than where you are now

the trw (speedpro) F = forged but compared to JE and others they are heavy and the pin is heavy ,

thing about the trw is its dirt cheap, have seen some deals on ebay under a hundred a set

The TRW piston is forged, it is a very good piston but the pin is almost solid to get the weight back up to mimic a stock piston to avoid balance issues. You can install a lighter pin but then the cost goes up to weisco, Diamond, JE, land

Mike Licht said:
The TRW piston is forged, it is a very good piston but the pin is almost solid to get the weight back up to mimic a stock piston to avoid balance issues. You can install a lighter pin but then the cost goes up to weisco, Diamond, JE, land

+1. The forged pistons trw sold in the past were designed to be run with very close to stock balance. Thats the reason the pins are heavy. They are drop ins once piston to wall is verified. I ran these in my blue car for 3 years and thousands of hits. Over 200 dyno pulls at 475+whp and the car ran 10.61 with them. I got them with a used rotating assembly with unknown history other than it they ran 11.20 with them and a te44. They are a stronger than stock piston. The only thing is they only offered stock and +.030". no .020".

The early design of these pistons were known to have issues with the skirt and scuffing of the piston skirts. This was before the manufacturer got all "fancy" with applying a teflon coating to the piston skirts and displaying their logo in this coating.

It was therefore recommended to do a mod to each piston - commonly referred to as the "Pin Oiler" Mod - and is shown in the attached pic:

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 300
If they scuffed they were too tight and or installed dry

+1. The forged pistons trw sold in the past were designed to be run with very close to stock balance. Thats the reason the pins are heavy. They are drop ins once piston to wall is verified. I ran these in my blue car for 3 years and thousands of hits. Over 200 dyno pulls at 475+whp and the car ran 10.61 with them. I got them with a used rotating assembly with unknown history other than it they ran 11.20 with them and a te44. They are a stronger than stock piston. The only thing is they only offered stock and +.030". no .020".

I noted that when doing simple comparisons. I am not trying necessarily to cut any corners and cheap out on any rotating assembly parts, I just need a realistic idea of what I am in for. :D

The early design of these pistons were known to have issues with the skirt and scuffing of the piston skirts. This was before the manufacturer got all "fancy" with applying a teflon coating to the piston skirts and displaying their logo in this coating.

It was therefore recommended to do a mod to each piston - commonly referred to as the "Pin Oiler" Mod - and is shown in the attached pic:

I saw a couple threads on that while doing research here, but I wasn't sure how much that creates a 'stress-point' if not perfect. i have done many other mods to N/A stuff, but I am always leery on boosted parts. Thanks for the great thoughts everybody and I am preliminarily doing my handiwork to acquire stuff. Just like everybody with big aspirations, I have ideas, HOWEVER, reality is that I am slowly getting the parts a few pieces at a time. I am balancing life, budget, and kids so I need to use common sense. :(

Save your money,for another $150 you can get a much better wiseco piston, with more options. Compression,Bore, etc