Scott Kalitta F/C crash at Englishtown

smart call with the google maps.

I guess it was just the video made it look like there wasn't much sand to me. I couldn't see any from where I was but i knew it was there.

Wow,thats a very horrible way to go. Gave me the shakes watching the car hit at the end.God Bless them all.

WOW NORDY! It hurts to think you saw that in person. RIP, this is sad. MPH+ and we still use sand traps, can't we build something like what carriers use to stop the dragsters in case of emergency?

DS

It made me sick watching the chutes flopping around back there. I can't help but think they may have slowed the car enough to save his life, had they deployed properly.

ESPN 2 is doing a special now

This is a tough day for alot of people.

:frown:

He's only 4-5 years older than me. I remember when he started racing pro.

Godspeed to the Kalitta family. :(

Camera guy too.

Reported that a camaraman lost his life from debris from the car crash!

There was a camera in a bucket that got sprayed with debris at the end of the track. I can't see if there was a person in the bucket or if it was remotely controlled.

It was an awful wreck. At Island, a small local track I go to, there is a sod farm beyond the sand pit. Unfortunately as civilization encroaches upon the drag strips they have to take measures to protect what lies beyond the end of the track like at E-Town.

Jim

Looks to me like maybe the sand is raised up higher than the race track.
I see this a lot and it happened to me once. If this is the case , if you hit it a a realatively slow speed it works ok. But if you hit it at a high rate of speed as Scott did , then it launches you upward!!! I had a chute failure once and basically launced over the whole sand trap:eek: Looks to me that Scott launched upward and that exploded the fuel tank or he hit the arm lift with the camera which would not have been good. I see the arm lift with a person in it shaking after the initial hit , but Im not sure that it took a big hit or most likely was struck by some misc debri and sand. Reguardless RIP Scott. God bless the Kallatta family!!! Mike:(

Sad very sad. RIP Scott!

Nordy you were there actually that close, had to be a horrible experience...

Sad day for all racers.

Sad very sad. RIP Scott!

Nordy you were there actually that close, had to be a horrible experience...

Sad day for all racers.

Yes, myself, my dad and two fellow GN owners (Matt he is the MAGNA Prez, and Ryan he owns a 87GN).. we were at the top end right near the 1000ft mark in the stands.. the explosion shock from his engine shook the stands.. Right before this round we were right near the DHL team area and were talking to his team mate (top full driver) and took picks of the rail car.. we didn't see the funny car due to it being in the staging lanes :(..

like i stated, when i saw this unfold, i know that he must of passed out due to the explosion and wasn't going to make it.. i'm still sad today that i witness his death..

I was up by the 660' and you could hear the explosion was different than other cars that had popped that day. It's usually just a little pop that can barely be heard/felt over the running motor.

Just sucks.

Sad Day

R.I.P Scott Eternal Rest my friend and see you in drag racing heaven. prayers to all his family friends and all that know him.

GODSPEED SCOTT KALITTA.

CHRIS

Very sad to hear about this!:( I guess if you can take one positive from this tragedy it is that he died doing what he loved.

Godspeed and May God be with his family.

Wow, that’s a sad event, I just found out a few minutes ago, I had recorded the race and just sat down to watch. Hope something is done to prevent it again. Probably a freak thing but its one that should not be given the chance to happen twice. RIP

All i can say is that Scott will be racing in heaven so rip here but have all the fun in heaven we will miss him greatly :(

God bless the Kalitta family in their time of need. I am very sad about this situation, and consider all of them my friends. :frown: