Scorpion rockers

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Is it common for scorpion rockers to be noisy? I have a Full Throttle X3 215/220 comp roller cam. Comp calls for 1/2 turn past zero lash, so I go exactly 5/8 turn just to be safe. Very happy with the cam and valvetrain, just seems a little loud. Thanks, Dave

Is it common for scorpion rockers to be noisy? I have a Full Throttle X3 215/220 comp roller cam. Comp calls for 1/2 turn past zero lash, so I go exactly 5/8 turn just to be safe. Very happy with the cam and valvetrain, just seems a little loud. Thanks, Dave

is this your first roller cam...im guessing with comp lifters? does it sound like a typewriter under the hood. As long as it is not too loud it is a normal noise that you will learn to live with:)

I had the same questions, was checking everything under the hood, pulling valve covers and more! then i figured out it was just a normal noise and have lived with it for the last 18K or so. my theory was that my cam, .496" lift and only 206 duration at .050" has a very aggressive slope/ramp, acceling the lifters faster than factory, causing the extra valvetrain noise. dont know if its true but i can now drive the car without worrying about the noise:biggrin:

Since the Scorpions are made for a Chevy engine, when adapting them to a Buick, the valve train geometry is not exactly correct.:confused:

One of the results of this is that they are usually noisier than the shaft mounted roller rockers.:)

Since the Scorpions are made for a Chevy engine, when adapting them to a Buick, the valve train geometry is not exactly correct.:confused:

One of the results of this is that they are usually noisier than the shaft mounted roller rockers.:)

ive heard roller rockers in general are noisey, is this true, when compared to stockers?

and also, are there pics of how you adapt scorpions rockers to a buick? ive always wondered how this was done:)

I am running them also and I thought they were too loud, but everyone that has run them said they are just that way.

mine sound like a type writer also not super loud but make some noise yes.

i went back and adjusted mine now they are a tad louder than stock with typewriter sound that is ,, since i redone mine they were loud & thought is was normal but i went back and adjusted them i cannot believe how quiet they were at first just like stock but a few days of driving they went back to the typewriter sound but not loud at all in my opinion, not the ticking, clacking sound i had at first it just have the mellow type writer sound or slight diesel truck sound to let you know you have a roller. Now for the hydraulic roller the lash on the comp web site said to adjust it 1/4 turn past zero lash.. i thought it would be louder with that preload but it is not, i only did one side for putting in arp studs after the champions broke on me i gotta do the other side this fall. im scared its gonna be loud if i bother with it, id rather leave well enough alone but i need to put the arps in just in case the studs break again it was not pretty with oil going every where when it broke the last time.

Attachments

• EBAY 001.jpg
    EBAY 001.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 212
I have T&D 1.65's with a 218 flat tappet and they are definately a bit noisy....I have learned to live with it!

I went 3/4 turn on my Scorpions and they are much quieter. Still make noise but not like before.

Bryan

1/4 turn. 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, doesn't matter, I've tried them all and its still the same, sounds like a solid cam. I've set the preload per ATR, per Comp Cams, Per Conley etc. Now I go with 1/2 turn and roll with it.
Mike
86 GN