scanmaster or power logger?

I was looking at buying a scanmaster but I noticed that the power logger isn't much more.

Would it make sense to just go for the power logger? I have a laptop. I use it for day to day stuff so I couldn't leave it in the car, but it isn't my daily driver.

My car will probably never run faster than mid 11's. I will rarely (if ever) go higher than 17psi. It also won't spend much time (if any) on the strip. I mostly just want to know what is going on with it, so it may be overkill.

It seems like the power logger is the obvious choice. Am I missing something?

I guess the other option is to stay on the lookout for a used scanmaster. I could save money that way.

I drive an 87 GN. I have a 4.1, 50 lb injectors, te60 and a bunch of bolt-ons.

I have been told that the 4.1 will probably not survive much in the way of detonation. I really can't afford to fly blind and I want to turn up the boost.

Thanks in advance.

The Power Logger requires you to to run a laptop to view it. it also gives you the ability to log and chart you readings making it easier to go back and review everything later instead of trying to read things while doing a WOT blast. As a tuning tool I find the power logger to be more valuable but too much of a hassle to use every time I drive the car, that's where the Scanmaster shines. it's always there and convenient. Once he car is tuned with the Power Logger, the Scanmaster lets you monitor your state of tune without any extra equipment. If you get the upgrade chip for the Scanmaster with the Power Logger the Scanmaster displays even more information for you.

There ya go, clear as mud huh? They both have their place and are even better together.

That's what I thought.

I can't afford both right now, so I should probably start with the scanmaster.

A couple of guys from the local Buick club have been helping me out. One of them (former owner of a 9 sec GN) said that once I get the car setup how I want it (at this point that means getting the intercooler I want to use and working out little bugs) that we can set the boost (probably 17 psi), hook up a wide band O2 sensor and fine tune my turbotweaks chip using his stuff (don't know what he uses).

If I took him up on that I could just use a scanmaster to keep an eye on things after the tune, correct?

I would probably never bother hooking up the laptop if I had the power logger, or I would end up leaving it at home when I really need to see what is going on.

thanks.

But if the powerlogger is better in that it can record and get more data points, then why get a scan master? It seams that once a tune is set it is not magically going to change. So if any other modifications are made that require an adjustment to the tune then once again set the tune. I am not seeing the need for a scan master.

I do understand that the data is always there for reference with a scan master, but if there is ever a question about the tune then just connect the laptop and check for an issue.

Set it and forget it, unless an issue arises.

would this concept be acceptable?

Scanmaster first and power logger second if you have to pick one over the other.

It's better to be able to see 02 and kr on the fly when jumping on it.

I leave mine on coolant temp when just cruising because knowing the coolant temp is important to prevent issues an idiot light won't.

Also setting TPS, IAC and BLMs are easy with the scanmaster and also will let you know if there is a problem and where to look for it just by toggling through the menu.

I have both P/L and S/M and I only use the P/L when I want more info than the S/M provides when I'm tuning for the track which isn't often.

I rely more on my W/B and S/M than P/L and think that most would agree that the S/M should be first and then P/L and W/B in that order if you have to buy one at a time.

But if the powerlogger is better in that it can record and get more data points, then why get a scan master? It seams that once a tune is set it is not magically going to change. So if any other modifications are made that require an adjustment to the tune then once again set the tune. I am not seeing the need for a scan master.

I do understand that the data is always there for reference with a scan master, but if there is ever a question about the tune then just connect the laptop and check for an issue.

Set it and forget it, unless an issue arises.

would this concept be acceptable?

You are correct. The powerlogger also allows you to share your logs with everyone here for help. Try and email a scanmaster reading.

The problem I have with the scanmaster is the lack of detailed info across the rpm range. When your car gets to a certain power level the only thing you will be watching is the road. The PL allows detailed recording so you don't have to try to watch something while getting down with WOT action. I use an AEM wideband gauge in the A pillar along with a boost gauge. Its everything I have just to glance at it once or twice while in the gas. I vote get the PL.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You shouldn't be watching the scanmaster during a run anyway! It's for monitoring "typical" parameters to watch for trends or faults. It's still the best thing since sliced bread for daily usage. The powerlogger is the logging device to look over mountains of data that can pinpoint most problems and also aide in tuning.
I'm a firm believer that scanmaster is and absolute requirement for daily needs, and powerlogger as a tuning aide and backup.
And With SD and SD2 now so popular it's amazing what can be done on a budget.

The scan master only seams to make since if a person wants to know what parameters the car is performing on a normal basis. It's a tool for the lack of guages GM installed on a stock car. I agree it has great info but the need is just not there over a power logger. Everything points to a power logger, even from a daily driver to a 100% strip car. Personally go for the power logger and save $250.00 on not purchasing a scanmaster.

Set it and forget it with the power logger

It's worth the $250 to me to monitor what's going on in real time. The power logger is great to collect and review data after your pulls/runs (or whatever you do), but to be able to watch everything as your car is running, I think that is $250 well spent. My vote is run both. The last thing I would do is set it and forget it.

The scan master only seams to make since if a person wants to know what parameters the car is performing on a normal basis. It's a tool for the lack of guages GM installed on a stock car. I agree it has great info but the need is just not there over a power logger. Everything points to a power logger, even from a daily driver to a 100% strip car. Personally go for the power logger and save $250.00 on not purchasing a scanmaster.

Set it and forget it with the power logger

I completely disagree! I have gauges (vac/boost, water temp, oil pressure). My car is just a weekend cruiser/show car now (retired from racing over 6 years ago).
I've always had a scanmaster and have one in both my GN's and it's absolutely required for proper troubleshooting without a Powerlogger. Not everybody needs a powerlogger, but yes it shows more data and can log if you've a need.
I run a PL on my 86 and have since it was introduced (used to run DS). But for those of us that do run both, especially on a daily driver, it's just not always convenient or desirable to run with a laptop sitting in the passenger seat all the time.
I hook up the laptop to log data if I want to make a tweak to my SD2 tune(not very often), and that's usually a 5-6 mile cruise log to get plenty of data to make some VE tweaks for the cruise loads. I may on rare occasions record a WOT pull to log the AFR and correction for that area. But I don't have to do that much anymore because what some folks don't realize is that the PL feeds several data points to the Scanmaster which makes reading them on the Scanmaster even easier!! Those items that now can be seen on the SM as fed from the PL are: Wideband, MAP and/or Boost. The wideband data replaces the O2 reading on the main screen so that's the BEST part. Don't need to spend extra on a wideband gauge. I know the following doesn't really pertain to this discussion, but.... So with just a few gauges and SM my interior is now clutter free and much cleaner looking than it used to be! Also was able to get rid of the tacky looking A pillar gauges. Take a look.

New un-cluttered look:

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

X2 I agree

Run both....but at the absolute minimum you've gotta start with a ScanMaster, then save for your PL , then WB set up.

Attachments

• Skyway Jacks 4.jpg
    Skyway Jacks 4.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 124
  • Skyway Jacks 5.jpg
    Skyway Jacks 5.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 116
I am with you Dave on my stocker I use the SM as all my vital signs come through it now coming from the PL , I have nothing but the SM to read all the info I want to read , afr , boost level , rpm , mph, batt volts and coolant temp , just to name a few and my dash is now clutter free from all those guages . I do not leave home with out it like MasterCard .

And they say texting will drive is dangerous. My passenger set is for my wife when we cruising the DQ. Laptop hangs with me on race day. PL all the time.

Yes saw it was old deezdad doing his research. I could not decide if it was . taken or what’s the point?