sad rememberance

gnbeginer

My uncle - gnbeginer - on this board past away early Tuesday morning. He was way to young to pass away as he did. He died of a massive heart attack, he was only 47. He had a severe stroke in late march which left him with a deterating heart condition. My name is Ricky, he was always messing with me about if something ever happened to him that I would get his car. Its a 1985 GN that he converted to a 87 driveline. I don't know alot about it. I didn't get to work on it with him as much as I would have liked to, I am a deputy sheriff and I don't have alot of spare time, I am hoping to get it back together soon. He was going to switch it over to e85 and then he past. I will be attempting to do this - but like I said - I don't have alot of extra time. I really want to get it done as a keepsake/heirloom. My uncle Wayne(he hated being called that) was my favorite of all my uncle's. I will be joining this website soon and I'll have a million questions. He said this site was very informative. So please bare with me as I start and hopefully finish this journey I am starting on.

Thanks for the future help
RIP uncle Wayne

Ricky Borchert

Sorry for your loss, that sucks... Take care of the car, he will be smiling down on you while you are cruising it and kicking the crap out of other cars on the road! Might consider keeping his username too. Kinda cool that way. Again, sorry for your loss and welcome to the Buick fam.

Sorry to here that but good luck and enjoy that Buick...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry for the circumstance. Do not be in a hurry to complete the project. You will gain the same knowledge your uncle did by using the SEARCH function and many of the Board members will help. Where are you located? We may have Board members by that can help. Again, Welcome and sorry for your lost. BTW, your Uncle blessed you with one of the GREATEST CARS GM ever made... You will make your Uncle proud by working on and loving his car:)

sorry about your uncle. 47 is way too young to go. Enjoy what he left you. There is more help here than you will know what to do with. honor his wishes and get that car going and then drive the hell out of it. you will not regret it. I'm sure there is someone on this forum that will lend a hand to help you with the project. Ive had my GN now over 20 years-when I tire of it or when my number is called it goes to my son who already knows what to do with it as it shuttled him to his senior prom and a cruise or two.

I'm sorry to hear of Wayne passing. Welcome to the board, and before you go any further please joining yourself rather than use his ID. Add the info to your sig and start reading as well as asking.

Very sorry for your loss. Too sad for words.

I got my '87 GN almost the same way from my late Dad. He gave it too me a few months before he passed away from cancer at 82 years, saying: "It's too fast for me now."

I wouldn't part with it for the world.......though it makes me still feel sad every time I work on it or see it, as it was Dad's favorite, I'm still fortunate to have it to remind me of him. It does kill me that I didn't get it up and running in time to give him "a last ride" in it as he asked, I do hope to take his ashes up to his home town in it someday.

If you are a sentimental dweeb like me, and wear your heart on your sleeve (as my Dad always said I did) you will always cherish this '85 GN of your late Uncle's. It's really a one of a kind feeling having a car in this regard.

Again, I'm truly sorry for your loss. Fix it up and drive it like hell. And never get rid of it. It's meant to be yours, so enjoy it like your Uncle would want you to.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Sorry to hear also. Is this car in Lafayette, IN? I don't always have alot of time either but if you get stuck, please ask. I'm in Indy.

Wow, that's rough. Too young to go for sure. Good luck with keeping his GN going. Maybe someone in your area can help you with it.

Ricky,

Sorry to hear about Wayne. That is too young. I will keep your family in my prayers. Welcome to this site and our Turbo Buick family. It does put a smile on our face when we can help out a brother or sister. There's tons of good info here to search out and learn. If you can't find the answer to your questions, just ask the great people here. You'll most likely want to get with the people in your area to make sure things are sorted out before driving the car or things could get damaged from being out of tune. I hope this car turns out to be more than a keepsake. I do have to ask. Have you ever gotten a ride in this car? They are a real kick in the pants, to say the least.;)

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your uncle, and hope to see you around here.

Mike Barnard

Thanks everyone. Well I finally got a few minutes and got set up on here. John - yes this is the car in Lafayette. Mike - yes I got to ride in it a few times. Including a time where we raced a 02 Camaro ss. We smoked the Camaro. Guess that's when I really got the turbo bug. Although I wanted to write my uncle a ticket but I didn't. I was still in uniform and out street racing - lol. I have so many parts to sort thru and go pick up, he has a few blocks and some other parts in Ohio. I didn't know even had all these parts. Hopefully he has another set of heads somewhere. The aluminum ones that were on the work bench are rough. needs exhaust holes welded and redrilled and heli-coiled. He had them boxed up with someones name on them. Over in georgia - Earl someone. Well got alot to do so i am outta here.

Have a good night
Ricky

It may be Earl but you can PM him to find out. His board name is actually Earl Brown so it makes it simple.

The aluminum ones that were on the work bench are rough. needs exhaust holes welded and redrilled and heli-coiled. He had them boxed up with someones name on them. Over in georgia - Earl someone. Well got alot to do so i am outta here.

Have a good night
Ricky

Holy Crap. I talked to Wayne on the 13th. I wondered why I haven't heard from him for the last couple weeks.

When we spoke last he was going to send me the alum heads just to see if I could save them. I guess boxing them up was one of the last things he did. :( From what he described the heads have heli-coils inside of heli-coils that are stripped out and I think the seats are pounded out. I've got a set of irons here that he wanted from when I wrote a "hot to build heads" article on the other board.

In Ohio there's supposed to be some 4.1 blocks and I believe at least one 3.8 engine. Once of those 4.1s was supposed to make it down here for a forged stroker build I was contemplating. There's also an old school forged crank with a spun bearing. Wayne's plan was to turn that crank down to BBC journal size and get a set of my custom Buick pistons with a big Chevy wristpin installed set up to use BBC rods on the Buick crank. Not sure on the rest of the pats but he did say that they belong to him and they weren't going anywhere (still might want to expedite getting the stuff though)

With the engine that's in the car, you need to finish building the custom fuel lines for the M&A intake (or get a stock intake setup) and get a timing cover. The endplay hasn't been set on the cam yet since he didn't have a cover. Everything else was pretty much done. There's a smaller than stock balancer on the front so you'll need to get a piece of metal and make a custom timing pointer. It should be pretty easy since he's removed the heads.

I think if you search his name in he for sale section (you'll probably have to log in under his name to see that section since you're using a new ID) I think you'll find more specifics about the engine. He got pissed off about 2 months ago and listed it for sale. I had to call him and tell him to take his Midol and finish the V6 :D

He mentioned you on the phone quite a few times too.

Thanks earl - your post has made me aware of a few things as to where he left off with the motor. I found the crank that he had turned down for the bbc rods. And now I kinda know where and whats left to do on the car. I know he has a 6.0l and 4l80 trans with the harness and ecm here - he had talked about putting that in the car. I think now that its mine I am going to put the v-6 back in it and drive it - thats how I remember the car and the few times I got to ride in it. I am going this weekend to get the motors and other parts he has in Ohio. I found a list of parts and the contact number of his army buddy who has them. All is there and ready for when I come and get them.

Unfortunately - the part of your post about him mentioning me has hit to close to home. I'm gonna get off here and go act like a little kid and cry. My uncle was a different kinda guy - he would do just about anything for anybody and ask nothing in return. He was one of my best friends and a mentor for me. I really miss him.

Ricky

Unfortunately - the part of your post about him mentioning me has hit to close to home. I'm gonna get off here and go act like a little kid and cry. My uncle was a different kinda guy - he would do just about anything for anybody and ask nothing in return. He was one of my best friends and a mentor for me. I really miss him.

Ricky

I almost hung back with that part......

....but I'd been as ass if I did.

The 6.0l and 4l80 was what he 'was going to put in the car' when he made the for sale post for the V6... When I called him and advised him to get the sand out of his vagina and put the V6 together.

He put he engine in the car even though it wasn't ready just for the move. then he got to his new house he pulled it back out to remove the heads and finish building it. That was a couple weeks ago.

Also, there's a judgement in his favor from a couple of undesirables in reference to a Monte Carslow SS. Try and make sure his estate collects. It might help you finance finishing the car.