Running horrible after installing heads?

ADJMART

Got a set of champion irons this winter and put them on last week.Fired it up today for the first time and it is running aweful.it isnt idleing well like it has a miss and when i tried driving it down the street it wanted to stall a few times and i had to feather the gas to keep it going.Only code it threw was 34 for a few seconds and went out but it has a new lt1 mass air that has always been trouble free.
Ive changed head gaskets a few times and never had any problems like this?
do u need to get a new chip if you only added ported irons?
Im gonna try a fresh set of plugs and see if it helps.any suggestions?:confused:

are you running an egr? did the egr potrs on the head get welded upor are they open and no egr?

Plug wires installed correctly? Are the valves being held open due to improper preload from thinner deck, or taller valve stems?

Did you re-attach the grounds on the back of the head?

double checked plug wires and they are good.the new heads have the egr filled.I have no clue about deck height or valves,they deff had after market seals.ground wires were put back on the head.
The car is able to build boost and rev to maximum rpm,it just idles and drives awful.also sounds like it has an exhaust leak I will work on tomm.
I will try and post scan master numbers asap.

Were heads decked? I've seen heads decked where the intake manifold didn't seal when bolted down.

not saying you did but i was in a hurry one night and started my car up and it missed alot and ran like crap and here i took the valve covers off and one of my pushrods wasnt under my rockerarm.:eek: i guess when i tightened them down i didnt make sure that they were all under the rockers

filled egr passage in the head, but what about the passage in the intake manifold?

BLMs? Trouble codes?

Bob

filled egr passage in the head, but what about the passage in the intake manifold?

BLMs? Trouble codes?

Bob

Stock passage in the manifold,not filled.just has the egr in place like stock.I think the egr function is off with the tt chip.no trouble codes except for code 34 for a couple sec then went out.ran like a dream before i changed heads.shouldve left it alone.

Did you re-tune the car to compensate for the extra air the ported heads are pushing?

Eric at Turbo Tweak told me I have to re-burn my TT chip once I add my Champions.

Just at thought.

Good luck.

Did you re-tune the car to compensate for the extra air the ported heads are pushing?

Eric at Turbo Tweak told me I have to re-burn my TT chip once I add my Champions.

Just at thought.

Good luck.

Chip re-do's really only affect WOT operation. Part throttle should be fine.

Bob

Did you check compression? Did you adjust the valves properly ?if not you might have valves not opening and closing properly too tight to loose it happend to me on a 4.3 chevy

Correct valve springs installed? Different springs are used for roller cam vs. hydraulic cam. When I switched to Champion Iron Heads, no noticeable difference until WOT, then noticed more power at the track.

Chuck

IDLE VALUES
02 volts- .400
tps - .42
maf - 6
int - 128
blm -142
lv8 -36
iac -21
knr -0

Also,this is the first time i have tried to use header gaskets the felpro 1400.Could a bad exhaust leak make it run horrible? possibly spreaded my cross pipe to far to reach?it sounds better at idle now with the new plugs but if i hold the brake and give it gas i swear it sounds like a helicopter from inside the car at about 1,500-2,000 rpm like the exhaust noise vibrations are hitting the floor boards.

IDLE VALUES
02 volts- .400
tps - .42
maf - 6
int - 128
blm -142
lv8 -36
iac -21
knr -0

Also,this is the first time i have tried to use header gaskets the felpro 1400.Could a bad exhaust leak make it run horrible? possibly spreaded my cross pipe to far to reach?it sounds better at idle now with the new plugs but if i hold the brake and give it gas i swear it sounds like a helicopter from inside the car at about 1,500-2,000 rpm like the exhaust noise vibrations are hitting the floor boards.

Sounds like the balancer or crank sensor bracket is loose.

Also noticed the fuel system isnt holding pressure anymore.It use to hold 40lbs for weeks and now its at 0 lbs in an hr.