Rollmaster timing chain noise.

1BADWE4T

I recently installed a rollmaster timing chain in my stock shortblock and within 30 miles the chain seemed to have stretched and was making lots of noise between 1200 and 2300 rpm, sounds like the bottom end of the motor is coming apart, and the idle was erratic. Anyone else have an issue with these? The motor is a stock bottom end, never been align honed, standard chain.

I recently installed a rollmaster timing chain in my stock shortblock and within 30 miles the chain seemed to have stretched and was making lots of noise between 1200 and 2300 rpm, sounds like the bottom end of the motor is coming apart, and the idle was erratic. Anyone else have an issue with these? The motor is a stock bottom end, never been align honed, standard chain.

A roller chain will NOT stretch, it will break links before then. :mad:

Did you use a chain tensioner when doing the installation?

Maybe this is a silly question but did you put the cam button back in?

NO, I did NOT use a tensioner, and yes I did install the roller cam button. The chain was loose but according to the vendor thats the way they are?

Rollmaster timing sets come in various sizes so you can get a proper fit and the correct play in the chain.

If yours is loose enough for the chain to contact the timing cover, a smaller size is needed. :confused:

Rollmaster timing sets come in various sizes so you can get a proper fit and the correct play in the chain.

If yours is loose enough for the chain to contact the timing cover, a smaller size is needed. :confused:

They come in what stock and .004 under? the .004 is in case you had the block line honed/line bored correct? Has your block been line honed/line bored when a girdle or caps or something was done?

They come in what stock and .004 under? the .004 is in case you had the block line honed/line bored correct? Has your block been line honed/line bored when a girdle or caps or something was done?

Installed a standard timing set with a tensioner and the noise is gone now, and NO its a stock block and I'm 100% sure of that. When I ordered the chain I made sure it was a standard set and thats what came, maybe its possible it was misboxed? Either way I'm out the $ for it seeing as it cant be returned. :mad: