Roller vs. Tappet....again!

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Here is my dilima. I currently have a Compcams 206/206 Roller, .050 duration, 496 int/496 exh 206 int/ 206 exh

Saw a good deal on a Precision Flat tappet Cam 218/222 with 478.int 479ehx. 050. 218.int. 222.exh.

What would you do? Stick with my cam or go to the flat tappet? Will I get more power with the Precision? Have been reading for hours and it seems the flat tappet tends to wear out faster. Take a look at my signature and give me your opinions. Seems I am not getting the power I need with my upgrades. Could my cam be holding me back? Thanks!

Is my cam too small? If I stay with a Compcam roller, could I just replace the cam, it being a roller or do I need to get new lifters? It has about 5k miles on it now.

Even with the increased duration of the flat tappet cam.... I would bet the roller would make more power and you don't have to worry about wiping a lobe and trashing your engine. Roller all the way..... Flat tappets are dinosaurs.....

I've run the 206/206 roller in a few cars, including the (2) in my signature. I think they make pretty good power, without sacrificing any drivability or reliability.

K.

vader87 said:
Here is my dilima. I currently have a Compcams 206/206 Roller, .050 duration, 496 int/496 exh 206 int/ 206 exh

Saw a good deal on a Precision Flat tappet Cam 218/222 with 478.int 479ehx. 050. 218.int. 222.exh.

What would you do? Stick with my cam or go to the flat tappet? Will I get more power with the Precision? Have been reading for hours and it seems the flat tappet tends to wear out faster. Take a look at my signature and give me your opinions. Seems I am not getting the power I need with my upgrades. Could my cam be holding me back? Thanks!

I'd go with a bigger roller cam...
They're just so much easier on the other valvetrain parts. While they can support a higher valve accleration rate, I wonder if as small as what we're talking about here, if it's even applicable.

60 PPH's, I'd be watching the Duty Cycles, even with alky.. Some guys run a ton of alky so they're not as injector limited as some other folks.
BTW, I had to run a double pumper to keep my 60 feed as sustained WOT. For a quick trip down the 1/4, I'd still be watching the AFRs close.

With the GN1s you should be able to pump a bunch of air thru the motor....

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it.. :)

There is no dilemma. go w/ the roller, problem solved.

(Are you noticing a pattern to the answers here. :) )

vader87 said:
Is my cam too small? If I stay with a Compcam roller, could I just replace the cam, it being a roller or do I need to get new lifters? It has about 5k miles on it now.

Since you already have all of the roller componets, why go back to a flat tappet? You can just upgrade to a larger roller since you have all of the roller stuff anyway, no reason to have to change lifters that I can think of. Higher ratio roller rockers may need a pushrod change but maybe not. Stay roller whatever you do!!

Roller Lifters

You can change the cam and use the same lifters. Since thaey are rollers they never develop a where pattern like Flat tappets. Hope that helps.
Dave

Thanks everybody! I am staying roller and will get a bigger one down the road!

Fellow "Sith"...

I have the EXACT PTE 218/222 cam in question and can tell u this is one NOISEY flat tappet! I followed along your cam specs with my PTE cam card and realized my cam WASNT the 218/218 I thought it was! lol! it pulls like hell with very little trottle and even lopes like a big gas guzzling v8...but the metalic clatter from this fooker was enough to make me wonder if my vlve train was even getting oil! a Roller will definately be going in if and when this thing wipes! almost afraid to get quiet exhaust now! you'll Hear the cam before the exhaust note! hehehehe