Roll Call !!!! What's going on with your Hot Air?

That sucks!!!

Well Pete ............... where do I start.

Previously, the car had a mismatched combo.
The car has been down for about 1.5 years due to excessive thrust (0.014"), and some other things.

The machine shop I selected had build quite a few 109's in the area, and some S2's.

FINALLY, started the fresh motor this past weekend, 109 +0.030", roller cam, oil pump set to 0.001-0.0015. . . . . . . . 10 minutes total, no load looking for leaks, temp, etc . . . . . . oil pressure "warm", not hot . . . . 25-18-12-5, shut it down, metal in the oil, . . . . . .
It will sit for a while, until I can find the physical, mental and emotional motivation to get it going . . . . again. :(

The positive?
No oil leaks anywhere (yipee!!), no exhaust leaks, and the cometics sealed up well with HYLOMAR!
So, while I have 4,755 post before this one;), I will still have a +15 second car for a few more years. (Actually closer to 16 seconds ;) )

Darn dude sorry to hear that. I've ran into that problem before and most likely the problem is incorrect bearing clearance. If you did not run the car that long most likely you can drop the pan, pull the bearings one by one and inspect for the damaged one. Check your clearances on the others, sand with a little emery cloth and make your adjustments from there. Sometimes in our effects to get tight clearances we get a little too tight. Also I once ran into a problem where a small bead of silicone from the rear main cap had squoze onto the main bearing. It was just enough to wipe the new bearing. Did the same thing dropped the pan, polished the crank and kept it moving. But I'm like that though I can't be defeated.

Well take care, Pete

Waiting on the turbo to come back from Blaast Perfomance and in the mean time this morning I picked up the intake and valve covers from being glass beaded, I was going to powdercoat them but they look so good I will pass on that. Later this week putting the intake and covers back on.

Darn dude sorry to hear that. I've ran into that problem before and most likely the problem is incorrect bearing clearance. If you did not run the car that long most likely you can drop the pan, pull the bearings one by one and inspect for the damaged one. Check your clearances on the others, sand with a little emery cloth and make your adjustments from there. Sometimes in our effects to get tight clearances we get a little too tight. ......

Well take care, Pete

Don't want to turn this into a "mechanical thread", but the block was line bored/honed, -0.006" chain, mains at 0.0018-0.0019 target, crank fresh 10/10.
Oh yeah, WIX filter, brand new pump gears, and pump cover . . . ;) . . . same front cover, so I know it works.
Will call the shop and see what they say.

Don't Give up!!!

Don't want to turn this into a "mechanical thread",
Will call the shop and see what they say.

Again, I don't want to turn this into a mechanical thread either, but call your machine shop to see what they say. But unless they put the engine together you might be SOL. If I were you I would not pull the engine. I would jack it up pull the pan and inspect the bearings for failure. Then make you determination from there.

I'm sorry to hear that too Jerryl. I haven't been around Turbo Regal as long as some of you have, but I'm convinced that a properly built engine will explode on startup. There has to be some slop somewhere, it’s just gotta leak

I'm such a noob that I'm almost embarrassed to post among the likes of you guys, but I feel guilty about lurking. So...

The "new-to-me" '84 GN is still waiting for me to have time to start poking away at 'er. (That may happen sooner than I want, though, due to circumstances beyond my control, but that's another story!). I have tons of stuff lying around waiting to be bolted on, tuned, adjusted, beaten on, cussed at, etc. I can't wait to get started!

I just had a TA33C rebuilt at Precision, and I'm taking extra time tomorrow to pick it up @ the local FedEx facility. I'll probably only have time to take pics, stare at it, and drool for a few weeks.

I still can't decide if I want to go alky, IC, or both. The only pain about alky besides tuning is buying & filling the methanol; no big deal, but what fun is that? At least with an IC, I can drive myself (and my closest loved ones) crazy, staying up until 3am every night fabricating the pipes and professing my disdain when it all doesn't work. Plus, my 7-year-old will have the opportunity to learn how to enhance his speech with colorful metaphors. Who can put a price on that :p)

I'm such a noob that I'm almost embarrassed to post among the likes of you guys, but I feel guilty about lurking. So...

The "new-to-me" '84 GN is still waiting for me to have time to start poking away at 'er. (That may happen sooner than I want, though, due to circumstances beyond my control, but that's another story!). I have tons of stuff lying around waiting to be bolted on, tuned, adjusted, beaten on, cussed at, etc. I can't wait to get started!

I just had a TA33C rebuilt at Precision, and I'm taking extra time tomorrow to pick it up @ the local FedEx facility. I'll probably only have time to take pics, stare at it, and drool for a few weeks.

I still can't decide if I want to go alky, IC, or both. The only pain about alky besides tuning is buying & filling the methanol; no big deal, but what fun is that? At least with an IC, I can drive myself (and my closest loved ones) crazy, staying up until 3am every night fabricating the pipes and professing my disdain when it all doesn't work. Plus, my 7-year-old will have the opportunity to learn how to enhance his speech with colorful metaphors. Who can put a price on that :p)

Why not teach him to weld while your at it ;)

Switched to E 85 on my combo and will be back out shortly to get more timeslips. Have done a couple little things ;) and hope to run some new personal best before the year is over. Tuning the suspension is next on my list.

The latest on the '84 GN

Converted to the Wide band O2 setup with PowerLogger, and the Innovate LM1, and upgraded Scanmaster (I had the earlier Scanmaster from over 10 years ago - Lasted awhile didn't it?)

The top end of the motor is coming off for inspection at the moment, a new timing chain cover/high volume oil pump and new gaskets. I am deep into it at the moment.

A new turbocharger t-66 is replacing the 60-1.

I'll take pics when completed.

Sandbagging 12's here I come.

Ok my 1000 piece puzzle is together and running pretty good. It Idles like a wet dream but still needs more time. This year I have put in all the body fillers,up graded the radiator to f body with dual fans,kept the original fan shrout just modid it,oil cooler,tranny cooler,tranny filter with oil,86 ecm with tt chip,have walboro with hotwire that I have to put in.It's 100 deg here its hot!!!.

Phvrod

car runs strong....The powerlogger was critical setting the tps and iac ...creeping up on the boost.....Even got pulled over by the sTATE POLICE 2 OFFICERS..i THINK THEY JUST WANTED TO CHECK OUT THE CAR...nO TICKETS....THAT LEAVES MORE MONEY FOR PARTS..JUST BOUGHT HURST LIGHTNING ROD SHIFTERS,,,,,hEADERS JUST CAME IN --cERAMIC COATED kENNE bELL MOST LIKELY GET a Mans Turbo this winter and install exaust with 3inch up/down pipes..Also torque convertor ,,PHVROD

Your car is getting better by the day Rod ^_^. I can't wait to see some data on it.

Update: I have pulled my parts car all the way a part, and plan to pull my GN a part maybe tomorrow? Who knows.

What's New With My Hot Air

I'm in the midst of a hot air build-up that includes an engine test stand. This is bullet number 2 and my second build. For this next build I ported and polished my heads, went up to the bigger intake valve, TD roller rockers and a roller cam. I'm going up to the TA33 turbo. I'm testing each external part to give me the best chance in getting it running on the first attempt.

I need a fuel pump bung for the tank I'm building for the test stand. Anybody know where I can get a bung?
89f4b5d9fe.jpg

phvrod

Starting to drive her a bit..now the inside starts ......Just installed hurst/olds lightning rods..i love these things!!! also took the GNX to a car show..got best in Class...trophy sitting on radiator in picture..not hot air but it was 100 degrees outside if that helps.....definately hot air with all that humidity.....still need alky installed and a real radiator . gonna get a becool or the ones on gbody parts....

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC_1064.jpg
    DSC_1064.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC_1082.jpg
    DSC_1082.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC_1083.jpg
    DSC_1083.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 380
Phvrod, those lightning rods are the shiznit! They look like they belong there.

As far as what's going on with my Hot Air, unfortunately, Darth Vader has convinced me to join him; I'm about to complete my journey toward the Dark Side. The Hot Air will soon be experiencing a serious cooling off. Acquired an '87 GN IC setup and will start the project next week. But not before I take tons of before pictures and shoot some in-car video.

SNEAK PREVIEW: Lots of good, clean HA parts soon to become available, including fresh Precision-built TA-33C (never installed), Mark's cold air kit sans filter, new R-134a A/C compressor & lines, etc, etc... Watch the For Sale postings.

Well, I got rid of my 86, And after about 2 weeks of getting my 85' ive already aquired some ported heads, 86/87 ecu 86/87 ported intake manifold/plenum intercooler, Im ordering my TT 80lb injectorsw/chip this week, Still need to order the turbo (t66) and get a decent fuel system. after all thats said and done, Off to paint and Body she goes.