Roll Call !!!! What's going on with your Hot Air?

boostmaster

Just like the title says. What's new with you and how is your project coming along and what are your goals? I'll start things off by saying I'm in Iraq until August and then on my 85 T Type I will be upgrading to a progressive controller over my current DIY alky system. I will also be adding a wideband and power logger. My goal is consistent 11.20-30's. It's already run a best of 114 mph in hot air trim. This is my daily driver with working AC.

On my newly acquired 84 T Type I will begin baseline testing for R&D on a few ideas I have been thinking of over here in the desert. After that I will make this my full time race car since it already has a spool and the AC has been deleted. I've been aquiring parts while I'm over here and lets just say I'm gonna have a couple of monsters on my hand. Brent it's a race to see who hits 10's first!!!!:biggrin: Just kidding your cubic pockets are wayyy deeper than mine. lol:biggrin::D;)

Pete

Well I took my 85 GN on the Hot Rod Power Tour last week and it ran pretty good...until the MAF fell off...twice....(don't ask):mad:...other than that, it ran great. Still had an exhaust leak between the ex housing and the center section of the turbo, so I pulled the turbo and ex housing to replace the housing with a spare I had on the shelf...only to find that the spare I had was the wrong size.:mad: So now I'm on the search for the right one. I also think I figured out my slow spool issue at the same time. I believe the wastegate hole has been over-ported and was not sealing very well. Hopefully the next housing I get won't have this issue. So now I get to look in my garage and see BOTH my TR's broken down...my 87 T has a smoked transmission, and my 85 GN has no turbo on it now....Gotta love having Buicks.....:rolleyes: ---Keith

Lets brake it up into categories:
Body: Have all the needed body parts cut off the donor car, and soon welded in. Once that is done, the body will be taken off the frame for an undercoating and eventually painting.

Frame: I plan to strip the frame, and paint it with Eastwood Chassis Black Ceramic. As for the A-Arms etc, they are going to be painted a nice ride color. New shocks all around, body bushings, bushings in the a arms and such. Hopefully getting the wheels re-done. Maybe new engine mounts, and fuel lines will be either new or cleaned up. Tank will be cleaned and made to shine a nice silver color. In the tank a new Walbro pump with Hot Wire kit. Anything else I am missing?

Engine/Trans: Hopefully I will pull the engine and have no destruction on the inside. New gaskets, and whatever else is needed if there is such a destruction. Painted a black, and heads a silver. Valve job, and maybe porting.. Im undecided. Eventually a Razor Alky kit, Jays up-pipe, down-pipe, and TA-33C will follow. Trans will remain stock.. until something is broken :D. TT Chip, and Scanmaster, 42.5lb injectors.. Maybe ported intake as well? All in due time :D.

Electrical: I believe I am going with LED Tailights and rear light, new speakers on the interior. Who knows?

Interior: All new door panels, seat covers, and freshly painted trim. Rear package tray, and upper dash panel needs replacement someday.

There is so much to be done.. So little time and money ;)

I was changing my uppipe several weeks ago and lost a header to uppipe bolt. I thought it may dropped down into the exhaust header or onto the frame. Replaced the bolt and went for a test drive...... Damm-no boost what-so-ever. WTF?

I then removed the uppipe, downpipe and crossover. No bolt anywhere. Looked into the turbo, no bolt. Turbo spins normal and no play nor fin damage on the turbine side. No bolt-no boost-no vacuum leaks. What is going on?

I had the car inspected with one of those seeing eye cameras into the turbo, uppipe, exhaust header and crossover. No bolt. Magnets could not find it either.

Time to give up and replace my turbo with the spare. Damm. Removed and shook the turbo and the damm bolt fell out. The bolt was lodged way way down behind the turbine wheel blocking the exhaust. Put the turbo back on and it runs just fine. You can see the wear on the bolt from the Turbo below. Either Precision makes a great turbo or I got really really lucky. Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 650
Brent it's a race to see who hits 10's first!!!!:biggrin: Just kidding your cubic pockets are wayyy deeper than mine. lol:biggrin::D;)

Pete

Pete, you have till november

As for my car i have a few things going on currently and i also have a few tricks up my sleeve for next year. I had that downpipe in my head for awhile to so can imagin what its brewing in there now :eek:

As for whats going on right now, well i switched converters so that should help big time at the track as far as slip #'s. going from 20% slip to less the 5% is a huge difference alone. also the new converter is 8lb's lighter thus letting the car spin up fast and have less weight hanging on the back of the motor

i also have a new trans this year that has a trans brake :eek:. I played with it on the street and its going to be sweet at the track thats for sure.

I upgraded to 1350 yokes and im going with a inland empire driver shaft 3.5 alum. haven't ordered it yet but will soon.

i also went with an external trans cooler setup just like marks. not sure how its going to hold up to the arizona heat but that will be addressed later. went cruising 2 weekends ago at night (75deg) and the trans fans would kick on (stat 175) so i might have to do something with it.

Also got the bailey 2 step in except for wiring the switch. i going to be getting a relay from cal so i can wire it into the trans brake button. That should also help the 60 foots this year as i have only been able to get a 1.56 off the foot brake using ET Street Radials.

With that being said im also going to order some slicks before november and this will be my first outing with slicks :biggrin:. so with the new trans, trans brake, 2 step and slicks i think its going to be fun :eek:. i still havent put light weight wheels on my car at the track as im trying to get my et's where i want them using my T wheels.

Im also going to have a little different tune this year. Cal hartline is going to help me tune :biggrin: so im sure we can get more power out of it. also if all goes well i will make a 28psi pass at least.

Goal for the car is to beat the magical 10.71 but im shooting for 10.50's

I will also be logging exhaust back pressure to see where i'm at as far as turbo. if its like what i think it is i will be going to a .85 housing probley for one more year then im going to sale it and move to a mans turbo :wink:

anyways that's about if for now, so goals.

10.50/ 1.4* 60 foot wheels up

Keep em' comin!!!

Brad, I had that happen to me before also a while back after changing my headers. I found the bolt lodged in the same exact spot. There is a little divet in the turbine housing where a bolt can fall into and if your lucky that's where you want it otherwise it's by by turbo.

Brent, all I can say is.......Damn that's all!!!!

Now where the hell is everbody else? JERRYLL??????

You got a 100 million posts and I haven't heard a peep about your car since you ran 15.0 lol.:D:D:D:D

This post is open to all Hot Airs intercooled or not........FYI if you have the 86-87 set up your not a Hot Air.

Pete

phvrod

Adding Intercooler and making all kinds of custom parts adaptors and brackets ..Added new TA33C as well..Havent officially started her yet with intercooler so maybe still considered a hot air ? cant wait to get this thing running..next is installing the Kenne Bell Headers ,new up+ down pipes then send Brent some power logger readings for some review..hows it going Brent ? PHVROD

Attachments

• DSC_0985.jpg
    DSC_0985.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 647
  • DSC_0978.jpg
    DSC_0978.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC_0979.jpg
    DSC_0979.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 629
rod, looking good. everything is good here. wish i could find a damn house and get the car out here. i have been close to finding one but things come up. i found a 6 car garage house but it was in a bad area. also found a really nice house but someone got it before i had time to put a offer in. anyways your car is looking good. From what i remember people where having a hard time making the v2 setup work. maybe you will have better luck as it might have been a tunning issue. Now that you have the TB after the turbo why dont you get a mans turbo on there ?

brent

Looking great Rod! That thing is going to be kick ass! Hopefully I will get mine looking that good someday!

Ok, Ok, don't laugh at my project. It is a work in progress and I'm keeping all the stock parts incase it doesn't work as I hope it will. I'm putting a DIY remote mount turbo system under my 84. I've heard all the "it will take an eternity to spool" and "there isn't enough exhaust heat to be effecient" and all this. Doing my research on the sts type systems on other cars it seems like it should work for this application. So far I have made the intake adapter and mounted the TB. I'm using a set of NA Hooker headers and straight pipes with no mufflers or cats leading back to two yes two stock hot air turbos. Keeping small turbos will hopefully help with quicker spool. That is about all I have done so far. I still need to mount the electric scavenge pump to return the oil to the engine and install external wastegates. I'll be wrapping the headers and exhaust to try and keep as much heat going to the turbos as possible. I'll be talking to TT to get the best chip for this application. Taking the turbo off the top of the engine really cleaned up the look of the engine bay and gives me room to possibly mount the coil on top for a different look. Their will be a ton of other stuff that I'll be doing to tie all this together but this is it in a nut shell. The rest of the mods are in my sig. I won't be done right away. My goal is to have it completely done by this winter or next summer at the latest. Just trying to think out side the box (but not too far) and have a solid street machine and weekend track worrior.

Sure, it's still a hot air. As a matter of fact it's the original hot, hot air...lol

Thanks Pete. I've got a simple idea for an upgrade for the passengers side header but I haven't been to the salvage yet to do it. The 3800 FWD engine has the same spacing on the ports but is using a 1.5" primary tube and a 2.5" log. Shouldn't be to hard to put the two together.:biggrin: Now I just need the free time.:frown:

nope, dont really want to look at your junk :eek:

J/K :p

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: Kiss my grits Brent.:biggrin:

Keep'em coming

Man we got over 100 looks and only 14 replies so far. I guess that's the sad state of the Hot Air world. Still looking for you Jerryl.

I’ve done quite a few things to the GN recently. It has two new front tires, front end alignment, new GN Lettering differential cover, hallow front swaybar and ATR style rear swaybar.

Most of my recent time has been spent working on the ISAC Alky and Boost controller. I have the alky tuned very close to were it should be and all of the sudden the wideband sensor decides to take a crap. I’ve ordered a replacement and hopefully it’ll be in the week so I can resume. Once I’m happy with the Alky, I’m turning my attention to the boost control and getting that tuned in as well. I can’t say enough good things about Bob Bailey and all of his help.

Exhaust Leaks!? Yep, I still have about two of them. The first one is on the front passenger side where the header and the head aren’t quite flat up against each other. I’m waiting for when I blow a head gasket before trying to tackle this one. The other exhaust leak is where the uppipe attaches to the turbo. Ever since changing from a stock turbo to a TA-49 the Lee Thompson uppipe doesn’t seal well with the turbo and I get a little exhaust leak. I’ve tried several exhaust gaskets, but haven’t found the right one yet that seals it good.

I stall have one mod that’s been sitting on the shelf for quite a while. It involves routing the exhaust from when the Racegate opens up back into the test pipe. That way I can be a bit more stealth at WOT instead of having the wastegate vent to open air.

Exhaust Leak

Once I’m happy with the Alky, I’m turning my attention to the boost control and getting that tuned in as well. I can’t say enough good things about Bob Bailey and all of his help.

I didn't know Bob had anything to do with the design of the ISAC controller.

Exhaust Leaks!? Yep, I still have about two of them. The first one is on the front passenger side where the header and the head aren’t quite flat up against each other. I’m waiting for when I blow a head gasket before trying to tackle this one. The other exhaust leak is where the uppipe attaches to the turbo. Ever since changing from a stock turbo to a TA-49 the Lee Thompson uppipe doesn’t seal well with the turbo and I get a little exhaust leak. I’ve tried several exhaust gaskets, but haven’t found the right one yet that seals it good.

Eric, get you a flex coupling, take the proper measurements, cut your up pipe and weld the flex coupling in between. That will help with a good seal from the up pipe. Your turbo might also need to be slightly reclocked on the exhaust side also. That is probably the real problem.

Pete

I didn't know Bob had anything to do with the design of the ISAC controller.

Yes, there's some kind of relationship between Bob and Big Wood Racing with the ISAC. But I do not know the story.

Eric, get you a flex coupling, take the proper measurements, cut your up pipe and weld the flex coupling in between. That will help with a good seal from the up pipe. Your turbo might also need to be slightly reclocked on the exhaust side also. That is probably the real problem.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I've thought of this as well and may end up doing the flex pipe in the end. I've also rotated the turbo some and it's sooooo close to being sealed it isn't funny. Everytime I get it good and sealed, all it takes is a nice little blast down the road and there it is again.

Even with all it's little idiosyncrasies, I just love this car to death.

......... Now where the hell is everbody else? JERRYLL??????
You got a 100 million posts and I haven't heard a peep about your car since you ran 15.0 lol.:D:D:D:D
Pete

Well Pete ............... where do I start.

Previously, the car had a mismatched combo.
The car has been down for about 1.5 years due to excessive thrust (0.014"), and some other things.
(10" TC, Anti-ballooning plates, 0.130-140" TC/Flex gap, balanced, flywheel was tight, hot oil pressure was 18 with 5W30 when I pulled it . . . etc)

So, decided to build a motor that can handle way more than I am going to throw at it. :eek:
I pulled every trick I knew out of my little book, and took "Zero" shortcuts.
If it did not fit, look or smelled right, it was not installed, period.
The machine shop I selected had build quite a few 109's in the area, and some S2's.

FINALLY, started the fresh motor this past weekend, 109 +0.030", roller cam, oil pump set to 0.001-0.0015. . . . . . . . 10 minutes total, no load looking for leaks, temp, etc . . . . . . oil pressure "warm", not hot . . . . 25-18-12-5, shut it down, metal in the oil, . . . . . .
It will sit for a while, until I can find the physical, mental and emotional motivation to get it going . . . . again. :(

The positive?
No oil leaks anywhere (yipee!!), no exhaust leaks, and the cometics sealed up well with HYLOMAR!
So, while I have 4,755 post before this one;), I will still have a +15 second car for a few more years. (Actually closer to 16 seconds ;) )