Roll Bar Question?

gtiblklv

I HAVE A QUESTION THAT MAYBE SOME OF THE MORE EXPERIENCED GUYS CAN ANSWER? HERE IT GOES..... I DONT WANT A ROLL BAR IN MY CAR BECAUSE I DONT PLAN ON TAKING IT TO THE TRACK. I REALIZE IT SERVES AS A SAFETY ISSUE PRIMARILY BUT I WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE ONE TO ACHIEVE THAT SLEEPER LOOK.

I HAVE A STAGE II W/ STAGE II HEADS ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER GOODIES. NOT SURE WHAT TURBO I'M GONNA BE RUNNING BUT IT WILL BE EITHER A 76MM TURBONETICS SUPER SERIES OR A Y2K 78MM. NOT SURE YET.

MY QUESTION IS DO I NEED A ROLL BAR TO KEEP THE CAR TOGETHER. I DON'T PLAN ON LAUNCHING HARD OFF THE BRAKE. MAYBE ONCE IN A WHILE, BUT RARELY. MOST OF HARD HITTING WILL BE AT ABOUT 40-60 MPH ON THE HIGHWAY. THAT SAID, IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE A ROLL BAR OR CAN I GET AWAY WITHOUT ONE?

ANY HELP GUYS WOULD BE GREAT. THANX....

I know you will get as many opinions as post on this subject. If you are just worried about the sleeper look you can have a custom roll bar installed at the door posts and almost not be seen unless you stick your head in the car. As for the side bar you can get one that can be removed so as a daily driver your don't have to step over it or even see it. The roll bar will help stiffen up the frame and give it more support. Over the years I have seen a number of cars with much less HP than you will have running in the low to mid 12's start to crack the body in the upper right corner of the drivers door going toward the opra window because of body flex.

Down side to a roll bar in a street car is that if your racing and have a roll bar you are wareing a helmet and if you hit or get hit by something your head won't come in contact directly with your head. On the street you probably won't be wareing a helmet so there is a risk of being hurt worse if you get hit. The padding would help some but I don't think much.

In answer to your question unless you go to a track and run the nunbers you can get away with not having a roll bar. Your car is yours and if or if not you want a roll bar is up to you. There are reasons for and against having one.

Good Luck