Rock guard coating on rocker panels and lower doors ??

Did all 1987 Grand Nationals have rock/chip guard from the factory?

Garth
Yes. I recall a story in Dennis Kirbans book that he came across one GN that had the chip guard on only one side of the car, I think. Lol.

My GN is all original with only 21,000 miles...however when ever I go to a car show many people insist that this is covering bad body work and that it isn';t factory. Thinking of having it removed and repainted to match rest of car.
Thoughts?

My GN is all original with only 21,000 miles...however when ever I go to a car show many people insist that this is covering bad body work and that it isn';t factory. Thinking of having it removed and repainted to match rest of car.
Thoughts?
Well, if the rest of your car looks like how an original 21k mile car should look like I wouldn't be concerned with comments from people who don't know what they're talking about. A car is only original once and if the paint is still nice I wouldn't do it. Nice original paint is a rare find these days...I know, I had one :). If your car needs paint and you're not concerned with preserving its originality, then I would consider it.

No problem. Keep in mind its only one man's opinion. Others may feel differently. In the end its your car to do as you please.

Post up some pics of your car. I love looking at the all original ones :)

It was the factory's way of covering up bad body panel quality. Hell, I just had my car painted, factory defects all corrected and got the chip guard redone!

Im doing a full frame of factory restoration. Do you think i should keep the chip guard or get rid of it? Cars at paint now.

Im doing a full frame of factory restoration. Do you think i should keep the chip guard or get rid of it? Cars at paint now.
Personal preference I guess. But if you're doing a factory restoration I would assume you would want to keep it looking factory with the chip guard?

Personal preference I guess. But if you're doing a factory restoration I would assume you would want to keep it looking factory with the chip guard?

I think I'm going to remove it. It will be a lot easier for whoever buys this car to add it if they want than to remove it.