reusing main caps on a different block?

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
I recently broke a crank & after ordering a RJC girdle & sending RJC my main caps for modification, the machine shop down here found a 1" crack in the block near the rear main seal.
I'm going to get a new block, but since I've already received my modded main caps back from RJC, can I use them on another block if it's line bored/honed???

I would bet they dropped the block and cracked it. Otherwise it would have had serious problems before.
Yeah the caps can be reused. they just have to regrind them and re-line hone the block and caps with the girdle installed.

I just want to be sure it's understood that the main caps I want to re-use are stock caps that have been machined by RJC so they'll work with the RJC girdle. Like I said in my beginning post, the original block the caps came off of is cracked so I had to buy another good 109 block.
I just didn't want to spend another 125.00+ to get the caps off the block I just bought machined "if" I could re-use the caps off the cracked blocked motor on the new motor..
Anyone ever done this & had no problems???

Put the caps on, tq them down, have your machinest have a look.. and then make the decision.

On a blanket statement as it pertains to every single 109 block made, your answer is NO. As a possibility you may get away with absolutely. Just like the chances you can get away with instaling the girdle without a line hone.. its always a possibility.

gotta check the line bore when you use different caps on a different block.

mock ot all up and have the machine shop check and hone/bore if needed.

good luck

definately

IMO you will definately have to have it line honed. How the caps fit the girdle now is another? My understanding is when they line hone they take very little off the block with most of the material coming off the caps.
This something that maybe Jason would be better to ask.

if you are going to go through all that trouble might as well get billet caps if they are available...

Lee Thompson said:
IMO you will definately have to have it line honed. How the caps fit the girdle now is another? My understanding is when they line hone they take very little off the block with most of the material coming off the caps..............

With a line hone, the block and caps have equal amount of material removed. When line boring using steel caps, more material is removed from the caps, as they are made oversize.

The problem with using other caps on any block, is the registration. This includes fit and side-to-side alignment. The fit MUST be perfect, or crank walk will occur.

The rotating assembly is the absolute last place you should cut costs and cheat. Spend the extra money and machine the new caps or get billet ones, I be RJC could even get them for you and have them machined and into your hands and save a step on the shipping if he doesn't already have modified billet front 3 caps done. If I remember correctly the rear cap doesn't need anything since its already flush with the pan rail since its part of it.