Restrictions on new members in the Marketplace

6gunn

high on gas fumes
From what I've just seen, there isn't any restriction on new members selling items. A new post in the "cars for sale" section prompted me to make this thread. I think a seller must have a certain number of posts and should be a member for a certain number of days before they're allowed to post items for sale. This would probably cut down on the number of members getting ripped off...because a seller isn't likely to become an established member of the board just so they can post an item for sale and rip someone off one time. I say one time, because they'd be left negative feedback here and likely not be dealt with again. Also, I know for dang sure I wouldn't buy anything from a newbie. Seeing someone with 100+ posts and having been here for a year or more would make me feel more comfortable about doing business with them. If there are restrictions on newbies, ignore this thread...but I figured I'd throw in my .02 since I'm becoming more active with the forums.

The thread you're talking about has been reported to admin. It sounds like either a scammer or a dealer and will be delt with. I agree that we need more control over the for sale section and we're trying to do something about it.;)

thats mostly a good idea, but...
the problem is this...
From an honest (newbie) sellers point:
I occasionally buy 'lots' (bundled packages) of (mixed bag) parts.
Instead of listing all this stuff on ebay or elsewhere, sometimes I'll join a (new) forum to sell off this stuff.
It's another avenue for me to get rid of the stuff, and gives buyers a good deal & chance to acquire stuff they might not have otherwise, at the same time.

If I'm forced to wait &/or make a certain amount of posts (& if its a forum/car I don't know/don't care anything about), what am I suppose to post about to get to this magical number of posts? I can't add any real value (helpful info/statements/comments, etc) to the forum, since I'm not really familiar with that particular (item/car), so I (personally) don't post (or join the forum).
I 'could' however just find 'general' posts and simply add 'I agree' or some other useless statement to the thread to get to the # of required posts, so I think that requirement restriction is basically pointless.
Same like a waiting period, (for me, as a seller) its not really worth it to wait.
My thought process here is, I'd like to be able to sell some stuff, AND give buyers a deal & opportunity to buy, but as an (honest) seller, its not worth the hassle to overcome the restriction obstacles.

Not all newcomers to a site are trying to rip people off, although there are bad apples out there.

I get/understand/mostly agree with, the restrictions though (for THIS forum, as a member), but if someone is going to TRY and pull scams, those restrictions can be easily overcome, and really won't solve the problems.

Perhaps the forum should start charging for anyone selling anything (like $1 per ad or so, or $10 for a 10 pack of ads - good forever until used, those who 'really' want to be a member here will eventually use the ads, so shouldn't be any complaints for the charge; or {best idea} like a one time $25/yr charge for the unlimited use of the marketplace section by non-vendor members of this board).
That 'could' help cut down the chances of dishonest sellers (more than the previous 2 mentioned restrictions).
I wouldn't pay $25/yr on a forum I'm going to use one time to sell some oddball stuff, but I would gladly pay it for THIS forum (knowing I'm active here & going to stay around)!

That idea could help solve the other problem of generating some income for the board too, as mentioned in another thread...

Ive tried my best to put something like this in place and all I get is pushback. Those same people pushing back are the ones who are coming crying to me when a deal goes wrong. EVERY DAY THIS WEEK someone has reported a bad deal to me and when contacting the seller, basically they're telling me "Fuck you."

Im really at the point that Im about to wash my hands of the marketplace. Buyer beware is the best thing I can say at this point since you guys wont allow us to put any kind of safeguards in place. The 3rd party broker company would have been great here but sellers dont want to lose a portion of their money. When they arent shipping parts, I can see why.

charlief1: I didn't even finish reading the ads before I got a bad feeling. Funny that the third post was basically saying the same thing.

GNcollectables: I hear you loud and clear...and it's definitely unfair to those who are honest. It's tough to punish everyone for the actions of a few...but how else will we weed out the dishonest? You're right...there's no way to 100% prevent dishonest people from getting through, but atleast we can make it harder to do so. Like someone stealing a TR...if they really want it, they'll get it...but atleast all the anti theft devices could make it a little harder for them. If they see a collumn lock and no steering wheel ect...then they may just give up and move to an easier target. That's about how I see this working...by making requirements for sellers. Also...TR parts are pretty bug bucks(compared to other vehicles) and one sour deal can easily cost someone some serious coin. I really think it would be beneficial to the community.

JayC: Are you serious? Every day? Un freakin real. These people don't want to be ripped off...but also don't want you to do something to protect them? If that's true, then color me confused. Of all the sellers who are accused of ripping members off...what's their average post count and length of time that they've been a member? There's probably a trend there.
Regarding nixing the marketplace...I understand your reasoning, but that's such an important resource for us. I'm mostly relying on the "cars for sale" section here to find a GN. Of course there's ebay and craigslist and such...but I'd really like to buy from an established forum member.

Jay's serious.o_O Nods get involved quite often and we watch feedback to see whats's going on. Most of the time it's pretty tame but once in a while one of us have to jump in and try to calm things down. If you didn't see it, I posted a moderators view of the board in the lounge and that might give you a better idea of what we have to deal with on a regular basis. I did it to open some of the members eyes since most of the time they don't get to see what happens behind the board.;)

I would think when a seller gave Jay the F U... their IP would be on the block list pretty quickly.

I don't see a problem with a waiting period or post requirement.. that simply will stop people coming on here with their only intent to scam people on sales unless they are going to take the effort for posting and waiting. The only way I would pay is with paypal linked to my credit card. Both offer protection over fraudulent sales and I have used that protection successfully myself.

The problem with nuking them off the site is if I do that, the odds of the buyer getting anything at that point drop to close to zero. But yea, every day this week Ive had someone complain about buying something and it either not getting shipped or showing up damaged and every time Ive approached the seller, Ive been told to fuck off.. in those terms.

Almost every time its been a new user with the exception of 49Blues but he wont be selling here anymore unless he signs up a new account and Ill catch him sooner or later if he does.

Ive suggested so many things to try to curb this.. 6 months and a minimum post requirement to be able to sell, a 3rd party escrow company that holds the part and the money and doesnt release the money until the buyer has the parts and are satisfied with their condition, etc. All Ive gotten is pushback. No one wants safeguards but they dont want to be ripped off.

Im not going to do away with the Marketplace. I know its great 95% of the time but I think Im going to not get involved with transactions any more. Getting me involved doesnt seem to be really beneficial and its really hard to hold my tongue when people tell me to fuck off. Im just not wired that way.

People have just changed... We can't please everyone. We try our best. If we had a vote it bet it would be 50/50 on getting a 3rd party involved... Just post the bad deals and if people are stupid enough to buy from a known dead beat seller I can't help them to begin with....

When I have time, Im going to create a Known Bad Traders list in Feedback with real names and contact information.

Another thought...how about some sort of disclaimer that the buyer HAS to agree with before having access to the marketplace? This was implemented on another forum I'm a member of...and I think it was VB based, so the code might be used here as well. It was basically a page that has the disclaimer...and once you click "agree", it takes you to the for sale sections and you can browse what ever. The disclaimer page appears each new time you want to view the for sale section. This probably won't cut down on the amount of people getting ripped off, but atleast it'll cut down on the amount of people bitching about being ripped off. hopefully

When I have time, Im going to create a Known Bad Traders list in Feedback with real names and contact information.
Love it. Stick it to them. I cannot fathom what it takes to be dishonest. I offer $$$ back if they are even a little dissatisfied.
That is how confident I am in my parts.
Too bad Paypal does not offer a 3rd party notification. Then after both parties are satisfied and both post written feedback...$$$ can be released.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

another forum i'm on; if you sell anything there has to be a picture with a piece of paper next to the part that says your username, website, and date.

wouldn't stop all the problems but atleast would limit the serious scams

o_O

another forum i'm on; if you sell anything there has to be a picture with a piece of paper next to the part that says your username, website, and date.

wouldn't stop all the problems but atleast would limit the serious scams

o_O

That is a good thing Gerry. And so sorry to hear of that scam pulled on you's a while back. that's why I have a bad feel for negitave posts because it can get out of hand. And some of these complaints come from stuff that was never sold on this site. I think feedback is a hard thing to do for you guys because sometimes some people don't have a traceable name just a screen name so they can talk the talk but can they put their name and back up their comments. Some people don't even come on here to see some stuff that is being said about them or their family's or personal effects.

I think it should be a seller feedback under each username with both positive and negative counts and the username who gave it so the person can pm the individual for their opinion in they are interested in it. And then there are those who post this person did this or that and never had any dealings with that person. That is why I feel this way. I do hope something good can come out of all this Shane and Jay.