Replacing the outer window felts

HP Man

I'm wondering if you must lower the window glass or regulator to replace these outer felt window wipers. Reason; repaint and badly weathered. I'll probably remove the doors too to change the color somewhat. Different white? Anybody do this before or know for sure? Thanks. Gene

I'm wondering if you must lower the window glass or regulator to replace these outer felt window wipers. Reason; repaint and badly weathered. I'll probably remove the doors too to change the color somewhat. Different white? Anybody do this before or know for sure? Thanks. Gene

NO- You don't! Get a flat, 1/4" hexdrive ratchet, and shorten a magnetic phillips screwdriver bit with a grinder. That tool will barely fit between the glass and the two sheetmetal screws that are really hard to get at(there are five in all), but it'll save you the trouble of dropped the glassworks.;) The ratchet looks like this, but with a 1/4" hex drive on the end: (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00942171000)

rodman99999 has it right. I just did mine about month ago without dropping the window. Good Luck!!! and Take Your Time On It!!!!

NO- You dont

Heck of a lot easier and cheaper just to lower the glass. No special one time use tools needed.

At the bottom of the door is the lower glass stop. Should be in the middle. Just loosen the bolt and let the stop drop about 1/4" or so. Lower the window so you can reach all of the screws and you're halfway home. Just R&R and you're done with it. Just bring the lower glass stop up to where it was by matching up the washer to the painted part of the door. Simple,easy no extra expense.:)

Heck of a lot easier and cheaper just to lower the glass. No special one time use tools needed.

QUOTE]

To each his own! To me- It's easier and faster to simply remove 5 screws, than to remove the parts holding the window in place and THEN the five screws. Less to put back together too. He asked- I answered!

Both ways should work just fine. :cool:

That tool can be used for dash pad and speaker screws too, good to have one anyway. :smile: