Replacing Te45a

Two T's

Long Time member
Was thinking of replacing Te45A/w.63 hng. have stock block,heads,Ic, 60 lb injectors rjc power plate warbrow pump, hotwire kit, pats 3600 stall 10" converter,
When I put converter in I had a Te44 car was Extremly responsive was actulely insane then put Te45a on car Love the neverending pull of this turbo and that it is a big shaft turbo. Was wondering who has owned Te45a and what you went with, would like the responce of smaller turbo but the pull of 45a and do not want to spend 1,500 on new turbo. What's out there that people have already switched to. Looking for advice I know ic, upgrade would help just want to swap out turbo for now for a change.:confused:

Do you have any pre-turbo exhaust leaks?

What boost controller are you running?

Yes an intercooler would be a great upgrade..... but IMHO....you at least need to do a Dutt neck mod......and then alky....

You have plenty of converter IMHO....

If the tune is FAT down low.... it can greatly effect spoolup as well....

No exaust leaks as far as boost controler its a rjc adjustable,not sure about tune down low though its a turbo tweek chip by eric have direct scan but do not have a older laptop now to run program my current laptop has windows xp, running 46 lbs of fule pressure like recomended by eric. other than spooling or off idle lag the thing is sick pulls hard just seems like when you get into it from stop no boost it takes i bit to get it going then boost starts cumming up hits about 10 lbs. boost controler kicks in then straight up to 20 lbs. real quick just was hoping for a little morre down low
Thanks For any & all Help
Tom:cool:

You can convert it to BB - dont know the cost; but im sure it would be cheaper than spending on another turbo... Give Jack Cotton a call - I know he has converted a lot to BB, so he should give'ya a price right away. HTH

Tom give me a call, I think I know what might help a bit.

But these things would deffinetly help:

1). PTE - Stock location IC
2). Larger exhaust & better mufflers

Try to adjust your actuator rod out to where it only takes about a 1/8th of an inch to fit onto the puck.
Then adjust your RJC controller "IN" to you get to the boost you want! The more that thing is screwed in, The more re-sponsive the boost will be..

But I would guess you probably already knew that? :biggrin:

John Craig from Limit Engineering built that turbo, You might want to call them and ask if they can rebuild it as a Dual Ball Bearing. I know that would make a difference.. :biggrin:

Give me a call and I'll get you squared away!!
Scot W.

Yeah...you could convert to Garrett DBB Center but thats would require also buying/plumbing coolant lines or you could convert to Single Ceramic BB CHRA and be done with it TE45A is a 66[7] - Ptrim, right? well i have a 66 Ptrim BB with a 3200 and stock head and i really dont have lag issues... FWIW

i do have a FMIC, Free Flowing Exhaust and a translator GEN II to tweak fueling

What about the 6152 Turbo.Seems like the new street/strip ,Turbo many guys are going with nowadays.Im thinking of pulling my Te-44 and replacing it with a 6152.:cool:

I had a TE44 on the car before with current combo the thing would jump as soon as you matted it if you stayed in it would smoke tires for about the length of two intersections but if you were in it for any length of time say like on the freeway or at the track on the top end you could tell you were running out of turbo. That is why I took the recomendation from two wise friends and went with TE45a In that situation the thing just dose not stop pulling and as apposed to like the 6776 I have herd if running alot of boost they run out also just what Ive herd from other members not nocking anything just trying to figure things out to get the most out of this one or find one that is better suited for me. Scott nice pm:D will call you later. If anybody else has been through this do appericate any and all feedback Thanks Guys
Tom:cool:

Yeah the TE45A would be a great Turbo on the street when racing from a 40 MPH roll.Must pull incredibly on the top.For me and guys who mainly drive there Turbo cars on the street the TE-44 is more fun to drive on the street.Im looking for more,maybe a 6152 but don't know much about that Turbo yet.:cool:

Got her fixed

Scott was right went back and played with acuater did sime tweeking and also played around with boost controller. Unbeliveable this thing is sick I now need some stickys the thing just is melting tires. Leave from stop no gas just off brake then nail gas and you jump then tires start spinning get out of it a bit then get grip back into it second gear large bark then start spinning again
this is what I was looking for. Thanks again scott for the info just needed to go back to basics tweeked everything Like we discussed everything worked. Am still playing with boost controller have more to go boost around 22 lb. knock around .o2 probably false knock. Will keep ya posted on inprovements
this is what I was looking for no lag at all with big shaft turbo TE45Arules.Again thank you every one for your support that is what this board is about.:cool:
Pease out
Tom:biggrin: :cool:

I'm switching fron TE45a Q-Trim to Cotton's P66 BB P-trim, TE45a ran good, but too much lag and I got sick of having to re-build center every 1-1.5 years...so I'm hoping I'll have beter luck with the single BB turbo. Also hoping I don't loose top end with the P-Trim exh housing.....

Faster spool off line issue

Try to adjust your actuator rod out to where it only takes about a 1/8th of an inch to fit onto the puck.
Then adjust your RJC controller "IN" to you get to the boost you want! The more that thing is screwed in, The more re-sponsive the boost will be..

Scot W.

Hello, don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I am having same problem and wondering what you mean when you say "1/8th of an inch to fit onto the puck"

I have PTE 70 journal bearing turbo, RJC boost controller, stretch SLIC, TH 3" dp, 2.5" exhaust, ported stock heads, H-beam Scat rods, JE pistons, 3500 stall converter. I'd like it to spool quicker off line. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello, don't mean to hi-jack the thread but I am having same problem and wondering what you mean when you say "1/8th of an inch to fit onto the puck"

I have PTE 70 journal bearing turbo, RJC boost controller, stretch SLIC, TH 3" dp, 2.5" exhaust, ported stock heads, H-beam Scat rods, JE pistons, 3500 stall converter. I'd like it to spool quicker off line. Thanks in advance for any help.
What I mean about the "Puck" is: The arm that your actuator rod goes to! You must remove your actuator rod then with one hand Push that arm on the downpipe so the Puck on the inside of the downpipe is against the turbo, Then move your actuator rod just in-line with it and see if it's 1/8" away from it, If it's NOT then adjust it so it is...

The goal here is to make SURE that the actuator is pulling the wastegate puck (thats inside the downpipe) against the turbo real good. Then you can adjust the Boost acordingly with the RJC boost controler.

SW.

What I mean about the "Puck" is: The arm that your actuator rod goes to! You must remove your actuator rod then with one hand Push that arm on the downpipe so the Puck on the inside of the downpipe is against the turbo, Then move your actuator rod just in-line with it and see if it's 1/8" away from it, If it's NOT then adjust it so it is...

The goal here is to make SURE that the actuator is pulling the wastegate puck (thats inside the downpipe) against the turbo real good. Then you can adjust the Boost acordingly with the RJC boost controler.

SW.

Thanks Scot. I got it. One more question, if you don't mind. Will a front mount IC make a difference in spoolup. I also have KB 70MM TB and plenum. Thanks again.

Tony

You are running 46# of fuel pressure? Wouldn't that make it fat on the bottom and cause a slower spool?

Why did Eric say to increase the pressure from 43#?

Thanks Scot. I got it. One more question, if you don't mind. Will a front mount IC make a difference in spoolup. I also have KB 70MM TB and plenum. Thanks again.

Tony
I think so, I seemed to notice it with my car that I have now. Not sure about quicker spooling but it's definitely more responsive and allowed me to run more boost than with the stretched stock location I/C.

Your converter will be most important for quicker spooling. I ran a 3800 Non lock up with my PT70 and it still needed more as far as I was concerned but that was with a Art Carr. My dusty Bradford converter that I have now is a night and day difference.

SW.