Replacing rear main seal...

EWveteren

Hello guys. I picked up an 87 GN that will need a rear main seal. My question is should I replace the seal with the orig type, or something else? Don't want to replace it for awhile after doing this job. THANKS!!

Tim

Replace it with the rubber neoprene lip seal.

Install it slightly crooked so the parting line of the seal doesn't match the parting line of the block/cap. Smear a 1 molecule thick layer of sealant on the bock from the seal area to the vertical seal area to seal the back of the cap to the block. Use 'The Right Stuff' on the vertical parts of the seal where the cap meets the block. That section will be leak free after that. (The Right Stuff makes a good oil pan gasket replacement too)

Personally I use only The Right Stuff and no gasket. Pretty sure I'm in the minority though.

Since you are new to turbo Buicks, I suggest you very closely examine your engine to determine the it is actually the rear main seal leaking? :confused:

More times than not, the oil leaking at the rear of the engine is NOT the rear main seal.

Over the years, I have had hundreds of customers complain about oil leaks and say it is the rear main, but only two or 3 have actually leaked there.

If you are not a mechanic, you should go to a shop that is knowledgable and honest that can examine you car on a lift to see if oil is present around the front edge of the flexplate starting at the crank.

From that point of view, the rear of the valve covers, oil pan and cooler adapter can also be examined as these are common places for oil leaks to occur.

I agree with nick. Get a couple of cans of brake clean and spray the oil pan rail area down all around the engine real welland then pin point the leak.

Nick is right on target since I too at one time had my engine rear seal leak. At first I replaced both Valve cover gaskets, then replaced oil pan gasket, and it continue to leak after that so I then replaced the rear end seal with rubber neoprene lip seal.
Not knowing what the car mileage and since the oil pan is removed I would also replaced the cam nylon sprocket, cam button, timing chain, timing chain damper, front seal, and oil pump pickup if it's not clog.
You didn't mention how knowledgeable you are with these cars, and if not then you should take the car to an mechanic who knows about the TR.

Since you are new to turbo Buicks, I suggest you very closely examine your engine to determine the it is actually the rear main seal leaking? :confused:

More times than not, the oil leaking at the rear of the engine is NOT the rear main seal.

Over the years, I have had hundreds of customers complain about oil leaks and say it is the rear main, but only two or 3 have actually leaked there.

If you are not a mechanic, you should go to a shop that is knowledgable and honest that can examine you car on a lift to see if oil is present around the front edge of the flexplate starting at the crank.

From that point of view, the rear of the valve covers, oil pan and cooler adapter can also be examined as these are common places for oil leaks to occur.
I'm having a leak on the back of the passenger side of my engine.I replaced valve cover gaskets but still no change.What else could it be ?

Oil can come from many areas on our turbo engines.

A leak in the front of the engine can and will run down and back, usually along the oil pan rail and exit out the converter cover drain hole.

I have seen the turbo drain-back lines leak and do just that, the oil filter housing can also do the same thing and I have even seen the front seal on the timing cover produce oil.

If you have breathers on the valve covers, oil vapors can and will come from there when under boost.

Do you still have the stock vent pipe on the pass valve cover to the turbo inlet? If not, then crankcase pressure will help force oil out at any weak spot.

Like Jason said, clean best you can, and get under the car to find the leak with the engine running.

It will be easy to do this if the car is on a lift, but you can jack it up as well.

I'm having a leak on the back of the passenger side of my engine.I replaced valve cover gaskets but still no change.What else could it be ?
Back of intake manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk