Replacing Air Temp sensor

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hi, once my plug and play harness comes in for my MAFT Pro I will be replacing my charred Air Temp sensor. I was wondering since I will be repositioning the sensor into the intake pipe in front of the Throttle body can I just get another Delco stock sensor is is there something else offered better. I mean for a sensor as long as it reads the data correctly and quickly it should be good right? Thank you in advance.

Just get a replacement delco sensor. They're not that sophisticated.

Ok thanks. Will the MAFT pro work if I leave the sensor positioned where it normally is by the MAF pipe or do I have to put it in the uptake pipe in front of the throttle body?

If you're running the pro in speed density mode, it's most ideal to run speed density with temp compensation ON. To do that, the best place for the temp sensor is somewhere post intercooler, like the up pipe.

However, you can run speed density mode with temp compensation OFF. Don't know how well that works since I've never tried it.

Of course if you use the pro to run a MAF, temp compensation isn't really used.

I've ran mine in speed density mode for several years and have my tune perfected. Now I'm running it in translator mode to control an LS1 maf, and perfecting that tune. :cool:

I just put the temp sensor in the back of my intake last night, was super easy, used a harbor freight 3/8 NPT tap on a 9/16in hole.

The sensors don't respond instantly to temp changes so it will never be a perfect sensor for tuning. They lag by about 1.5seconds, but any sensor will have some lag because you have to wait for the actual thermocouple to change temp, which will never occur instantly.

Oh ok cause I thought I had it all figured out, but the new MAF pipe I bought was too big so I need to send it back to RJC. So I am just hoping to use the stock size MAF pipe. I wanted to put the sensor in the up pipe, but my friend who will be doing the work says I'll need a bung to securely put the sensor in the pipe. He says I won't be able to find a bung around here. My car is barely driveable so I didn't want to wait to get any other stuff shipped to me. So I was hoping I can just leave the sensor where it is. On the other hand I want the car running it's best. Decisions...decisions.. Any easier way to get that Air Temp sensor in the up pipe without me having to wait for more shipped parts?

Thanks again everyone.

I don't use a bung. I obtained a 3/8 NPT tap from my local Ace Hdwr, and drilled the proper sized hole, and tapped the stock steel up pipe. Works just fine.

I have a couple more small concerns as the date to put this MAFT pro in approaches. I have a precision front mount intercooler which I believe has a aluminum up pipe. Will I still be able to drill and tap into that pipe with no problems as opposed to the stock steel up pipe? I'm just worried about leaks and other problems but maybe I worry too much. Also I tried putting the CD that came with the translator in my laptop today and the disc is blank. I can still program the translator with out the laptop right or do I need to call Full Throttle and have them send me a different disc A.S.A.P.? Thanks again for all the good input.

hello; I know nothing about the MAFT pro or whatever it's called but I'd get a AC sencor. But I came on to say that I was told that inlet temp. sensor does not do a whole hell of a lot and to just to put it somewhere close to the intake tube or air filter. I just put in a CAI and I zip tied it to a hose that was close and not the inlet tube. I just fired it up but no real world testing yet.
IBBY

hello; I know nothing about the MAFT pro or whatever it's called but I'd get a AC sencor. But I came on to say that I was told that inlet temp. sensor does not do a whole hell of a lot and to just to put it somewhere close to the intake tube or air filter. I just put in a CAI and I zip tied it to a hose that was close and not the inlet tube. I just fired it up but no real world testing yet.
IBBY

He's going speed density with the translator pro. The temp sensor needs to be after the intercooler.

I have a couple more small concerns as the date to put this MAFT pro in approaches. I have a precision front mount intercooler which I believe has a aluminum up pipe. Will I still be able to drill and tap into that pipe with no problems as opposed to the stock steel up pipe? I'm just worried about leaks and other problems but maybe I worry too much. Also I tried putting the CD that came with the translator in my laptop today and the disc is blank. I can still program the translator with out the laptop right or do I need to call Full Throttle and have them send me a different disc A.S.A.P.? Thanks again for all the good input.

You'll need the stuff that's on that disc. Better get a new one.

hello; I'll have to educate my self with the speed density and the trans. pro. but I don't think I'll ever go there.
IBBY

Well just got off the phone with Full Throttle and I guess I can download all the files I need from their tech support forum. Whew that is a relief cause I am hoping to get this project started tomorrow night and was hoping I didn't have to wait for a new disc. Now back to the pipe question. I should be ok tapping into the non stock aluminum up pipe w/o worrying about leaks or anything like that down the line right? Sorry if I worry too much.

Can't help you much with the aluminum pipe question. I kinda wish I had one, since drilling and tapping my steel pipe. That was a pain.
Common sense tells me that if the pipe has a decent wall thickness, and you don't overtorque the sensor it should work OK. Use thread tape also.

One more thing Dave I just want to make sure I have everything I need to run in speed density mode. I got the MAFT pro unit itself, the MAFT pro buick chip, the Casper's plug and play harness, and the 3 bar map sensor. I do not need to order the speed density harness right? Full Throttle told me I didn't need it but I wasn't speaking to the tech person so figured I'd ask you too in case she misinformed me. I plan on having the MAFT PRO unit display next to my scanmaster right above the heating/ac control panel. I'm just freaking out cause the guy that will be doing the work doesn't live that close to me so I'd hate for him to come out here then find out I don't have everything I need. Thanks again for all the help.

One more thing Dave I just want to make sure I have everything I need to run in speed density mode. I got the MAFT pro unit itself, the MAFT pro buick chip, the Casper's plug and play harness, and the 3 bar map sensor. I do not need to order the speed density harness right? Full Throttle told me I didn't need it but I wasn't speaking to the tech person so figured I'd ask you too in case she misinformed me. I plan on having the MAFT PRO unit display next to my scanmaster right above the heating/ac control panel. I'm just freaking out cause the guy that will be doing the work doesn't live that close to me so I'd hate for him to come out here then find out I don't have everything I need. Thanks again for all the help.

No, you do not need the speed density harness. That's for other cars.

A wideband O2 would be a huge advantage. You can run with the stock O2 in closed loop mode, I did for several months. But added a WBO2 finally, and use it to control WOT fuel, and have the stock O2 for controlling idle and cruise fuel.

Ok update on what's goin on. Last week the Extender pro chip, Pnp harness and MAFT pro were hooked up. My buddy tapped the IAT sensor in my up pipe at his place the other night. Tonight he will be coming by and putting the up pipe back in so all that should be left is programing the MAFT Pro. It will be pretty late at night when I am doing this so if someone wouldn't mind guiding me thought this it would be great. I'll put down what I think I'm supposed to do and feel free to add input.

First off my laptop does not have a serial port that is compatible with the wire that came with the MAFT pro. :mad: Hopefully there is an adapter out there somewhere I can buy. The monitor output looks like the plug on the wire except there are 15 holes in the laptop plug and only 9 in the MAFT pro wire and both connections are female. So I am going to need to use the MAFT Pro keypad to config the MAFT Pro. I understand I'll need the laptop for the fine tuning but sadly the GN is my only transportation so I need to get the base config done so the car is drivable so I can get around. I'll put what I think is the step by step process in another post right now.

Vehicle select: 0 or whatever is the correct setting for GN.

#of Cyl: 6

Displ: 3.8

Airfl Srce Speed Density

Map Source: 0 (GM 3 Bar Map)

Load Source: This I'm not sure about but if I were to guess. the Use MAP setting

Baro Mode: Also not sure. (No BARO mode) maybe.

F-out mode: 8 (for GN with extender pro chip)

V-out 1 and V-Out 2: Not sure 2 for Map 3 bar maybe?

AFR source: Don't touch since I don't have Wideband?

F-in, Aux1, and F- out don't touch?

Also the Extender Pro will have the base settings preconfig right so I won't have to mess with that until I'm ready for the fine tuning?