replacement headliner

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
Are there any vendors who sell complete headliners? My maroon fabric is separating and starting to sag in places. I don't feel comfortable using spray adhesive to fix it and have it look right. I'd rather just buy a complete new one if any vendors make them.

Are you wanting to buy a new headboard?

Headliner material is sold on rolls just like other fabric. An upholstery shop will take the headboard out, pull off the headliner and use a brush of some sort to remove all of the foam that is still sticking to the headboard.

Once the headboard is clean, they will cut a rough piece(a dimension you can work with) of material to lay over the headboard. They then fold half the material back to expose the back side, spray the headboard and the back side of the material, let sit 3-4 mins to get tacky and then apply the material to the headboard. Then x2 for the other half. All of the holes get trimmed and the headboard goes back in.

If you are wanting a new headboard (I would not suggest replacing unless you know yours is going to crumble to pieces while trying to remove it), the process is still the same.

I am not aware of a company that ships headboards with the material already applied. Not saying there are not any, just not aware.

BTW, once a headliner starts to sag, there is not a proper way to "patch" it, It must be taken out and a new piece of material put on the headboard.

I just did mine, the spray adhesive works, you have to use alot of it, did mine with a 1.5 cans, I used the other half to hand targets at pistol range:cool:. Clean backing good with wire brush, lay it flat don't try to strech material.

If you would like to do your own headliner, its simple. If you have the ability to remove the right trim pieces, then you can do your own headliner.

PM me and I can give you some simple instructions as I have done over 500. That is how I made my side money in HS through my friends dads upholstery shop, and now, 10 years later, I do my own when I buy an older car that needs a headliner or as a side job for someone I know.

The key to this job is patience as the interiors trim pieces on our cars are now old and very brittle!

wanna come to calif and do 3-4 headliners?

most of my TR have bad headliners, I'm leary of letting anyone touch them.

thanks

Anybody here tackled a headliner with a dealer added moonroof?

Bryan

I just did mine, the spray adhesive works, you have to use alot of it, did mine with a 1.5 cans, I used the other half to hand targets at pistol range:cool:. Clean backing good with wire brush, lay it flat don't try to strech material.

Wear a mask... that stuff stinks sOooo bad (smells like cold rotton beans mixed with skunk spray! :tongue::eek::p)

mikes montes is good

Very satisfied with my precovered headliner from mike's. Fit & color (gray) are good. He sells clips also. :smile:

most shops have many shades of fabric that can match up to any factory color. To save $$, take out the board, scrape it and take it to a shop. Way cheaper.
what they charge comes mostly from time to take the board out, cleaning and prep. The glueing is the easy part for them.

I got mine from Oldbuickparts.com (Cars, Inc). It came complete and was a perfect match.

Steve

I got this. Its already applied to a new ABS plastic mold. It's awesome. No more worries about cardboard breaking/warping.

You get it in a huge box, open it, pull out and it pops to shape, then install it.

I got mine from Nos4gn....

Just got mine yesterday from Mikes Montes along w/ the matching visors was cheaper than anywhere else and the fabric looks like a good match. I will take some pics and post them when I install it this weekend. May be a dumb question but its been so long since my headliner wasn't sagging, which way does the indent go front or back?

how do you do it?

Ok 1st time for me w/ the headliner install. How do I get the metal trim off the front and sides w/o bending them? I started w/ the drivers side and bent the sh%t out of it getting it off.

Ok 1st time for me w/ the headliner install. How do I get the metal trim off the front and sides w/o bending them? I started w/ the drivers side and bent the sh%t out of it getting it off.

They are very tricky to get off and you will break some. I bought a couple of the plastic clips for the sides and front/ back, I got them from Cars, Inc. It is better to break them instead of bending the metal trim.

I was told by JAX to use a high temp adhesive. I guess the roof heats up and the adhesive deteriorates and loses its grip on the fabric.
Jeff