Replace coil pack, now car doesn't start

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
I replaced my existing coil pack with a new GM. Now the car doesn't start. My old one worked fine. When I tried to hook the old one back up, the car still doesn't start. I'm thinking I may have got one of the wires mixed up.

Can somebody tell me what color goes to what number on the coil?

I once replaced my coil pack and a week later the car wouldn't start. A new ignition module fixed it.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to go through it tomorrow evening.

Where is the CCCI fuse located? I'll have to check that first.

Come on man.. Do what I did, and print out every damned page on that link.. hahahahaha.. Top left hand side of the block.Right above FP/INJ fuse..10amp..

Here's a link to the pic I have in my "Caspers File"

http://installationinstructions.com/fyi/fusepanels.pdf

Actually, I am going to print out all of these documents on photo paper for future reference. They are very helpful and easy to understand. :smile:

I checked my fuse box for the CCCI fuse but I must've overlooked it. I think I have to remove the entire black panel under the dash to get access to all of the fuses.

I will go through everything later this evening and verify everything matches up with these documents.

Thanks!!!

I verified the wiring was correct and checked the CCCI fuse. The CCCI fuse was blown. I replaced it and the car starts up fine with my old coil pack back on the car. I install the new one again and the car cranks for a long time then it finally kicks over, but it is idling very badly and sputtering and it sounds like it is running on a couple of cylinders. I put my old coil pack back in and it's doing the same thing as the new coil pack, but idling a little bit better, but sounds like it's running on a couple of cylinders. I rev up the car and it sounds horrible, so I turned it off. :mad:

The new coil pack would just crank and it blew the CCCI fuse. Now after trying to reinstall it, it made everything worse. Any suggestions? Bad coil pack? Maybe a bad ignition module now? :mad:

When my module went south, it was because I set the female end of the connectors wrong and it shorted out and smoked the module.. Check the "goo" in the module and see if it's burned through or you can see bare wire...That's a sure sign that it went bye bye....I didnt have the $$ for new module/coil so I went with Type II setup until recently...

ANYTHING related to 87 cars I have, John... Wasnt kidding about having a file in the garage labeled CASPERS :D

I think I've got the same problem. What on the crank sensor would I be looking for?

I think I've got the same problem. What on the crank sensor would I be looking for?

The obvious thing would be that its loose. The unobvious would be it's just old and worn out. If your having spark issues I would replace this first.