Repaint GNX 348

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GNregistry

I purchased GNX #348 in January of 2007 and wanted an opinion regarding the paint. The car is all original with all factory stock parts. The car is in excellent condition with 1,700 miles on it, however, the paint is in very poor condition. In some places the paint has been rubbed through and the primer is starting to show. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would estimate my car being a high 9, but my paint condition is a 6. Would you suggest me taking my car to a paint shop and have them repaint the car or should I just leave the original paint as is? If a repaint is recommended, do you know of any excellent paint shops in southern California, Las Vegas area?

Thanks for your help.

I purchased GNX #348 in January of 2007 and wanted an opinion regarding the paint. The car is all original with all factory stock parts. The car is in excellent condition with 1,700 miles on it, however, the paint is in very poor condition. In some places the paint has been rubbed through and the primer is starting to show. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would estimate my car being a high 9, but my paint condition is a 6. Would you suggest me taking my car to a paint shop and have them repaint the car or should I just leave the original paint as is? If a repaint is recommended, do you know of any excellent paint shops in southern California, Las Vegas area?

Thanks for your help.

"If" it were mine, I would make a documentary of the car the way it sets right now and then the complete dis-assemble of the car while it is being re-painted.

A step by step process if you will. The next buyer would certainly respect that if they could see the "process" you took to show why/who/where it had been painted.

If you just have it painted, with no record of the process that leaves a certain "doubt" in the next buyers mind as to "why" it was re-painted.

This removes all doubt.

This place is in Kansas, right by me. They do extrememly high $$$ restorations and paint jobs. Tim Allen's cars, Jay Leno etc. They even did a beutiful Elenore re-creation.

They will pick up and deliver your car in a self enclosed trailer and are top notch!

Ty
http://www.ronsrestoration.com/

I am sorry to hear about the condition of the paint. I would do a quality repaint. I saw pics on the internet of 348 with over 1800 miles on it.:confused: Is this the one from Utah?

Maybe you can take some pictures of the damage? You might be able to get a good quality detail establishment to do some airbrushing on it. I have seen a good shop produce amazing work.

to each their own.

but I say repaint, like Ty said, show why and document it,

I have 4 turbo cars, one GN all orig ( paint too!)
but my We4 is by far the best lookin one of the bunch ( repainted)
my GNX has had 2 spots repainted, but eventually will get total repaint,
like I said to each his own, but if you feel a repaint devalues the car, then live with crummy paint, no offence, but its your car, to heck with what the purists think
my 57 chevy had orig paint, looked like sh!t, so it got orig color, but in two stage and looks a million time better!

good luck!

blow in the bad spots and leave it alone. That way you can drive it and not be woried about chips and marks.

I agree with all stated above. It ultimately depends on what you intend to do with the car. Is it one that you would like to keep forever or for at least a good deal of time or is it one that you are interested in selling anytime soon? Seems like the current focus seems to be more on finding the most original untouched example possible vs overrestored/better than new/near perfect vehicles.

No doubt it would do wonders for the car if you repainted it with a high quality $10-15K+ paint job. Would have even if done when the car was new. I don't think it will devalue the car if it is done right but I also don't think it will really add any value to the car unless the paint is just atrocious and if that's the case it may just add a slight edge/premium. Not sure how long it would take for you to get that investment back in this market either.

If it's a keeper and the current paint job drives you nuts I say go for it for your own peace of mind, but make sure you get the right person or persons to do the job. If it's not a keeper and you are looking to sell soon I say at most have some touch-ups done but you'd probably be better off leaving it as original and untouched as possible.

Another option is just selling it to me and I'll make the decision :cool:

Leave original. For some reason, no matter how nice the new paint job may turn out, it probably won't add much to the actual value of your X with original paint. You may end up spending upwards of $10K for a good paint job and not see much if any return for that investment. Do what you can to the original paint to make it as nice as you can and then decide.

I would keep it original.

JMO If it was mine I would spot paint it. I would do the work myself. You can always restore it....... But you cant UN restore it. It only original once. Just my 3 cents.

Have it painted. If you sell it like it is your gonna get beat up about not being the original miles because how can the paint be so bad on such a low mile car, blah, blah, blah. A good paint job is not gonna take that much from the value. Restorations are bringing excellent money with other makes of cars. Sooner or later most all cars are gonna need restoring. Paint it now and enjoy it or paint it now and sell it. My opinion.

To get a classic/vintage/high value car back to original a paint job (when done right) will never detract from the value of a car if it's done in the original color, theme, etc.

I high value car that has crap for paint will get hurt bad value wise.

Depending on how bad and how many places the paint was burned through on your X I would recommend that you find a “REPUTABLE” Painter who has experience repairing Dispersion Lacquer. The right painter will be able to repair it and you will not be able to see the repairs. You are looking at 10K and up to have your car stripped and painted properly. Don’t let your GNX get caught in a Paint Jail... I could tell you some real horror stories….I have been doing Classic Car Restoration for over 30 years and I have seen a lot of shoddy work through the years..
Do your homework…Good Luck

Confessions of a body shop owner. - Team Camaro Tech

Just curious if you ended up painting the GNX, I see it's for sale in Saint George Utah I was thinking of looking at it this weekend. Anything else you can tell me about the car?
1698 miles is that correct?
Thanks