Repaint: Factory Black or Black w/Blue Pearl or Satin Black

Tfreestyle

The past year or so I have been restoring my 1986 and its not a stock vehicle. I just started to wet sand so I will be laying down the paint soon. The car will be sold in the near future since I need the money for a business venture and I want to get a white T and build from scratch again ;). For resale I am thinking Stock black repaint would probably be best but what do you guys think of a stock black but adding a bit of blue or red pearl? Since I am repainting the sills I could do a color change to a true matte/satin black(just did my mustang this color, so beautiful). Any tips and opinions are more then welcome and will not be flamed in any sort of way. Thanks.

P.S. Im about to search but I want to repaint all the moldings, paint code to order the paint to match stock for those? dont want spray can crap.

I entertained both possibilities when painting mine also. I even considered a 2-tone using 2000 model Viper Gray & Black. Of course, I went back with pure black. But I still think one of the pearl ideas you are considering would look sharp.

The satin would look killer, too. I have never seen that scheme on a TB. But I imagine it would look great.

All of that said, from a resale standpoint, you can't go wrong with basic black. Sure, the other ideas are really cool. I like them. But you decrease your buying audience when going with a custom color, especially on these cars. Now of course, this is strictly my opinion. But if I knew I were going to be selling the car, I would go with a factlry look on the paint.

As far as molding paint, I used what's called Hot Rod Black. It turned out really nice IMO.

Good luck and post up pics! :cool:

I would go to your local automotive paint store and ask to look in some domestic chip books. Look in the section that list underhood and cladding colors. you should be able to find a semi to satin black that would duplicate the original finish. i would then ask for it in single stage. ie PPG's dcc concept. If you don't want to spend that much money, ask for a quart of trim black from SEM part# 39144. It reduces with a good quality lacquer thinner. The trim black will not be as durable and will not last as long as the dcc will. jmo. Hope this helps. As far as the color on the car, i would go factory black if you are going to sell it.

My bros 86 T was a black car we went with the late model honda black which has a blue tint to it we also added some peral to it so when the sun hits it its blue, no sun black. wish i had pics but its in winter storage.

ive been talking to a few people locally that have used the SEM and they liked it alot. They said it lays down nice and even, end result always matching the rest. Im probably going to try it out, can always redo later.

My bros 86 T was a black car we went with the late model honda black which has a blue tint to it we also added some peral to it so when the sun hits it its blue, no sun black. wish i had pics but its in winter storage.

That is a cool color. If it is the same paint I'm thinking of it has blue metallic in it. Looks black until the sun hits it, and then you see some dark blue.

I was thinking of doing that color if I repaint my car. I would like to see some pics once you get it out of storage.

Hey guys been gone for a while I sold off all my GNs to Brian Weaver and got out of it for a while to concetrate on rebuilding the business. I recently painted a T with 2006 Toyota Solara black metallic, it has blue,gold,red,silver flecks in it and looked awsome in the sun. We just repainted an 87 GN yesterday factory deep black and it looks great, I guess Im a purist I like the factory black better. If I can remember how to post pictures Ill show you what it looks like.

I still want to see a Satin black GN have never seen one , I think it would look sweet plus no wax ever again :biggrin: