Removing water marks\scratches in paint?

CHARGED

Have a Low Mi GN with original paint that I'm not sure how to get the light scratches and water marks out of the paint.

I have a PorterCable DA buffer and using Menzerna Final Polish ll which is used to remove surface grime and swirls(may not be tough enough for scratches\water marks) . It brightens up the dull paint but can still see the scratches\water marks.

I've heard about clay bar and wet sanding before but have never attempted it. I have my black 98 GS to experiment on if I need to try these steps.

Another product I should try with my buffer before resorting to wetsanding?

Any help is appreciated.:smile:

Maybe try the buffer with some jaxwax swirl mark remover first, then try the detailing clay if that doesn't work. With 20 year old paint I would try sanding only as a last resort with no coarser than 1000 grit.

I would NEVER wetsand factory paint.....1000 grit?? Are you crazy? I guess you want the guy to ruin the paint on his low mile car? Please don't offer information unless you know what your talking about. There are plenty of products out there specifically for water spots. I've always used vinegar for windows, which works great and may or may not work on the paint. Try a google search for some detailing forums and you may get some ideas. Also a clay bar is going to do NOTHING for scratches, it's primarily for fallout, overspray and other organic trash on the surface of the paint. Its great for prepping before doing any type of polishing/waxing. Unfortunately I can't see how deep the scratches are so I really can't recommend a product. You might want to take it to a detail shop and have them quote you a price, or possibly if they can recommend something based on the appearance of the paint.

On a sidenote, a cool trick I learned was putting your hand in a ziploc type bag and running your fingers over the paint, you can really feel the highs and lows and all imperfections your bare hand can't. Then clay bar a small spot and feel the difference, its crazy!!

Go to meguiarsonline.com and read. Particularly the thread on the 5 step paint care process and Identifying and removing surface defects.

You can do a lot with an orbital buffer and the right product but you can only do so much.

Zaino

I used the clay to smooth the finish, then their non-clear coat products. I recommend you check it out for yourself.