Removing the stock AC/Heat box and installing a vintage air under dash unit, has it been done?

In Florida the humidity kills and any relief is welcome!! Biggest point here is when you're under the hood and can actually see the rt. rear of the engine and work on it!!!!!
Imagine being able to pull a valve cover or even when nec. the pass. head w/out mass headache!!!!

Installed a Chevelle kit in my '70 Olds 2 yrs ago. Much more compact, lighter, & works much better than stock, & to a motorhead is attractive. 'Cuz no kits for Olds (but very similiar) had do some cussing & accomodations, but isn't that what customization about? They are excellent quality parts, easier install than many "it'll fit right in" products, works well & no problems now 2 yrs. I'd buy if they had a specific kit for whatever car I needed it for (but aside that, the original GN unit works great, so why change?). & if Nick involved, it's reputable.

Here's the one Nick is assembling for me...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nick is working on this for us! I'm chomping at the bit to get-er done!! Cannot wait to get that monstrocity out of the engine bay.
Conrad

I have a couple questions now that this unit is complete. #1 is how much does this system weigh? #2 It's hard to tell from the pic posted a couple pages back, but does this unit still retain the factory compressor? And lastly, is a heater an option with this system (sorry if that question was already asked, didn't want to sift through pages to find the answer)?

From what I have been told:
#1...I don't know but would guess same or less.
#2. Yes, it will work with OEM compressor.
#3. I would expect a heater...haven't asked.
Conrad

...........but does this unit still retain the factory compressor? And lastly, is a heater an option with this system (sorry if that question was already asked, didn't want to sift through pages to find the answer)?

The "basic" under-dash unit I furnish will include the Vintage Air Gen IV unit which contains the AC evaporator, expansion valve, heater core, fan, and duct work. As you can see from Mike's pic, the unit is mounted to the custom firewall plate, and the AC/heater hoses are plumbed to a bulkhead fitting on the plate.

This unit also requires adapters to mate with the factory dash outlets. An electric control panel and adapter mounting plate which replaces the factory controls are also included.

The price on the under-dash Gen IV complete as described is $2200.00.

For a GN as well as other G-Body vehicles, the stock compressor can be used as in Mike's case. We will furnish him with a modified compressor manifold which will have AN fitting welded on the short alum lines so he will connect his new hoses there. We also weld on the high and low pressure charging ports to this manifold. [See pic below.]

An electric heater control valve is also provided with this kit.

The kit in my Regal shown in earlier posts is very comfortable on a 100+ temp day, and it does have a front mount IC. :)

I would also recommend using the VA condenser as it is more efficient that the 25+ year old stock one and has better air flow through it.

The Malibu/Monte Carlo unit is almost done as the dash outlets a very different than a Regal, and we are working on those.

The Cutlass dash is much different from other G Body vehicles, so that will be a big challenge for those dash adapters. :eek:

AC10.JPG

Nick,
I'm still interested in a kit for my 1979 Monte. Let us know when you get closer to production for those and I'll call you again. If nothing else, I'll have it for 2014!

Thanks,
Russ

Nick,
When do you anticipate shipping my unit to me?
Conrad

Conrad, I just received some parts from that were powder coated, and the other custom made parts are scheduled to be here next week.

Since I will be at the SEMA show in Las Vegas next week, your unit will ship when I return. :)

Russ, we shipped the first Monte production unit a few weeks ago, and the Monte pro-type was installed by G-Body Parts, and it will be at the SEMA show.

We are now in production of the custom parts, so we are able to take orders for Regals and Monte's at his point. :)

The Cutlass dash is much different from other G Body vehicles, so that will be a big challenge for those dash adapters.
I will be at the SEMA show in Las Vegas next week... :)

Nick, but the Olds has more maneuvering room & old-school/simplier, after doing a GBody you may feel the ABody easier (if I can do it, your's will be a masterpiece). Oh, and take me to SEMA with you.
....Ray

Conrad, I just received some parts from that were powder coated, and the other custom made parts are scheduled to be here next week.

Since I will be at the SEMA show in Las Vegas next week, your unit will ship when I return. :)

Russ, we shipped the first Monte production unit a few weeks ago, and the Monte pro-type was installed by G-Body Parts, and it will be at the SEMA show.

We are now in production of the custom parts, so we are able to take orders for Regals and Monte's at his point. :)

Nick,
I just visited your web site and saw the "Other G body Applications: Call for a quote." I assume that means to call you (Nick). I'll be in touch for info on my 1979 Monte Carlo Kit.

Thanks,
Russ

I need some instructions Nick when you can. I'm about 2 weeks away from mounting main unit to firewall.

My Vintage Air kit arrived today from Nick! Cannot wait to cleanup the firewall!! I have photos nad will send in the morning.
Conrad

Will be glad to...when I do it. what with work and Christmas, it will be a while.
Conrad

i know this is an old thread, but i have a question. my biggest problem with the a/c on these cars, even when it was "working" as designed, was always the poor air distribution and/or volume from the vents. does this kit do a better job?
We are working with Vintage Air to develop a kit for 1978-1988 G-Body vehicles, and are in the final phase of finishing it. :)

Our first Vintage Air installation was in a 1981 Turbo Trans Am that we converted to a GN drivetrain was a relatively easy job, and the AC/Heater performance turned out to be as good or better than stock performance.

However, the Gen IV Magnum Evac unit will not fit under the G-Body dash with a regular AC block-off plate. There are also custom adapters needed if the stock vent outlets in the dash are to be retained. It will have both AC and heat, and NO vacuum controls.

We have completed that difficult phase, and are now working on the under hood items like routing the lines and placement of items like the dryer and condensor.

The current schedule is to have the pro-type unit operational by April 1, and then have the first complete kit by May 1 to display at the G-Body/TB.Com event in North Carolina. :cool:

This will be exclusive, custom fit Vintage Air kit only available through ArizonaGN and G-Body Parts.

View attachment 183682

i know this is an old thread, but i have a question. my biggest problem with the a/c on these cars, even when it was "working" as designed, was always the poor air distribution and/or volume from the vents. does this kit do a better job?