Removing the stock AC/Heat box and installing a vintage air under dash unit, has it been done?

[quote="WFO_SS, post: 3364485, member: 9259"
................ my biggest problem with the a/c on these cars, even when it was "working" as designed, was always the poor air distribution and/or volume from the vents. does this kit do a better job?

Having driven and worked on Regals and other G-Body cars since the late 1970's here in the desert, the factory AC has always been more than adequate and comfortable even at 100+ degree summer days, some were marginal at 110+ deg, but still tolerable?

In the later years blower motors got lazy, plastic vent and lines caused issues, and still do, and vacuum controls did not function well for the blend doors and the heat/cooling internal passages.

Many times with full AC, there was also full heat mixed in the output. Often we had to disable the hot water supply going into the dash unit for ample cooling. :)

The VA unit has ALL electric controls and stepping motors, no vacuum actuators and crappy vacuum lines to break or stick.

The AC evaporator is also in the passenger compartment, NOT in the engine bay subjected to all the under hood heat, especially in the summer when max cooling is really needed.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that driving in 105 deg. summer day, the Vintage Air in my Regal, with a front mount intercooler, it was very comfortable and the blower setting was on Medium.

To further qualify this combination, the very efficient VA condenser is being used, the radiator is new and dual fans are installed, but only one fan is normally on, and certainly no antifreeze is used as we have never seen freezing temps in our summer months! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote="WFO_SS, post: 3364485, member: 9259"[................ my biggest problem with the a/c on these cars, even when it was "working" as designed, was always the poor air distribution and/or volume from the vents. does this kit do a better job?

Having driven and worked on Regals and other G-Body cars since the late 1970's here in the desert, the factory AC has always been more than adequate and comfortable even at 100+ degree summer days, some were marginal at 110+ deg, but still tolerable?

In the later years blower motors got lazy, plastic vent and lines caused issues, and still do, and vacuum controls did not function well for the blend doors and the heat/cooling internal passages.

Many times with full AC, there was also full heat mixed in the output. Often we had to disable the hot water supply going into the dash unit for ample cooling. :)

The VA unit has ALL electric controls and stepping motors, no vacuum actuators and crappy vacuum lines to break or stick.

The AC evaporator is also in the passenger compartment, NOT in the engine bay subjected to all the under hood heat, especially in the summer when max cooling is really needed.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that driving in 105 deg. summer day, the Vintage Air in my Regal, with a front mount intercooler, it was very comfortable and the blower setting was on Medium.

To further qualify this combination, the very efficient VA condenser is being used, the radiator is new and dual fans are installed, but only one fan is normally on, and certainly no antifreeze is used as we have never seen freezing temps in our summer months! ;)[/quote]

i guess i'm just used to working on all the newer stuff where the a/c will blow you out of the seats. the factory g-body system in my monte always cooled fine (normally) here in texas, but i think the biggest problem was the low air volume from the vents, which could be attributed to the blower motor & evaporator being mounted outside. this one definitely sounds like an upgrade. it damn sure couldn't be any worse.

Has there been any installs of these? I have been looking into adapting a universal, and forgot about this. I have a Buick/Olds wagon, 87 GN engine, and Grand Prix Dash.

I would install mine but I don't have any instructions.

It costs roughly $2500 w/o compressor or lines.

I would install mine but I don't have any instructions.

It costs roughly $2500 w/o compressor or lines.
I am sure you can get instructions? I started to price the universal kit from summit. Since you have to use your own compressor anyway ya know. I still haven't email arizonaGN though. I can fabricate any needed brackets and duct adapters, since I have a GP dash.

Thread bump. Any updates on the system? Any plans to create a pseudo-original appearing set of switches or is that asking for too much? :D I would love to also know if you have plans for a heater-only model!

Thread bump. Any updates on the system? Any plans to create a pseudo-original appearing set of switches or is that asking for too much? :D I would love to also know if you have plans for a heater-only model!

The controls for the VA unit are electric and no vacuum is used. There are other switch panels available from VA and Dakota Digital if you prefer a different type, and we have no plans to make a switch.

If you want a heater only, then go to G-Body Parts and purchase their heater panel and you can do this yourself.

Conrad said:
Curious...why no directions?

I just received my system from Arizona GN and its pretty complete. I got a bunch of pictures of an install e-mailed to me and there is nothing really complex. I honestly don't think directions are needed once you get into it and look at it.

Ill be installing mine in a couple of months, probably in the fall after I paint my fire wall. If no one has posted anything Ill do an install thread.

One more thing to add, Nick was really easy to deal with and answered all of my questions over the phone... I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

I'm going heat only but my firewall is smoothed so no plan on mounting anything outside any other options?

Clean firewall always looks good. No need mount anything on firewall, all fits under dash. I believe only connection between engine bay & system would be heater hose; your kit may have through-firewall connectors (they look clean/nice, lots of older hotrods have them) or like myself for a cleaner look you can instead run the hose between the passenger wheel well & cowling. You'll have to cut an access hole in the pass. foot side panel. Installed mine in an A-body, but believe will be same with G-body. Not the hardest but not an easy job, but all fits & works very well, clean. VA's control panel is of course different from stock, but looks oem or period correct. I actually wanted a more modern or touch pad panel but didn't know of one so used the VA panel (hay thanks Micale, I'll check out Dakota Digital)...which is easier to install than stock 'cuz all electronic - no cables & fits well. Your's being heater-only should be doable by a DIY'er. Out west here we can't survive without AC. Good luck buddy, enjoy your ride.

The "basic" under-dash unit I furnish will include the Vintage Air Gen IV unit which contains the AC evaporator, expansion valve, heater core, fan, and duct work. As you can see from Mike's pic, the unit is mounted to the custom firewall plate, and the AC/heater hoses are plumbed to a bulkhead fitting on the plate.

This unit also requires adapters to mate with the factory dash outlets. An electric control panel and adapter mounting plate which replaces the factory controls are also included.

The price on the under-dash Gen IV complete as described is $2200.00.

For a GN as well as other G-Body vehicles, the stock compressor can be used as in Mike's case. We will furnish him with a modified compressor manifold which will have AN fitting welded on the short alum lines so he will connect his new hoses there. We also weld on the high and low pressure charging ports to this manifold. [See pic below.]

An electric heater control valve is also provided with this kit.

The kit in my Regal shown in earlier posts is very comfortable on a 100+ temp day, and it does have a front mount IC. :)

I would also recommend using the VA condenser as it is more efficient that the 25+ year old stock one and has better air flow through it.

The Malibu/Monte Carlo unit is almost done as the dash outlets a very different than a Regal, and we are working on those.

The Cutlass dash is much different from other G Body vehicles, so that will be a big challenge for those dash adapters. :eek:

View attachment 199265
Nick, I had a Vintage Air universal kit installed in my car, but I need your modified compressor manifold. Is this something I can buy from you?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, I have a modified compressor manifold with both 134a charging ports and AN male fittings welded onto the pipes.

Call or e-mail me direct for more details - 602-866-9908.

Topic of condensers had come up this thread, & coincidentally my AC guy advises me get a new condenser. Car already converted to 134. Is there a difference between original style/replacement condensers and ones manufactured and more efficient for 134? If so, when purchasing a new one, how can one be assured that it is correct for 134? Should the evaporator also be replaced (& does it also have to be 134 correct) ?
Not as hot as Az, but summers are darn hot up here in the Ca. Valley.
Thankzzz

Any 30 year old condenser should be replaced! :)

All the new ones are more efficient and 134a compatible.

Not sure what evaporator you have, but a new one for a 1986-7 GN is not available, at least i cannot find one?

Nick, do you sell new condensers? I know I said that I thought I had a new one, but after looking at it closer, it is the original yet.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

All the new ones are more efficient and 134a compatible.
Not sure what evaporator you have, but a new one for a 1986-7 GN is not available, at least i cannot find one?

All cooling is original except for radiator replaced 'bout 6 yrs ago. Do you have a recommend for a very good condenser that looks & fits/installs very well? So, is it ok to connect the old evap with new condenser?
To repeat Craigalan, you sell condensers (I'm sure it would be the best available) ?
Thanks Nick.....Ray