Removing Precision Lock-Up Assist tube

GN87Mike

I plan to replace my Precision lock-up converter with n/l converter. I was told to remove the lock-up assist tube and plug the holes in the pump. Mine is very securely in place with epoxy making sure it didn't leak. I'm looking for the best way to do this. Has anyone done this and how did you do it?

Mike

Replace the pump would be what I would do. When you sell the converter you can sell the modded pump with it.
Give one of our supporting venders a ring. I'm sure they can set you one up for the new n/l converter.

Alternately, you can split the pump and replace just the stator side of the pump and leave the pump assembly untouched. It's not real hard if you pay attention and I'm not sure you'd be able to clean that all up and plug it without splitting it apart anyway. The stator side is flat and can be swapped without altering the clearances of the pump. Need to swap the pr valve train if you do though, and fashion a pump alignment tool from hose clamps.

If you can handle pulling the pump and swapping I'm sure you can handle splitting it and getting it back together.

Use a torch to break the epoxy loose. Use 1/8npt tap and plug the holes. Make sure you clean it really well. You could weld up the holes but must go slow and not put a lot of heat into it or it will warp. I don't rec changing pumps if yours was working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will put some heat on the epoxy and put the plugs in. I want to keep my pump as I spent a lot of time lapping the pump halves on a surface plate. As Bison said I know this pump works well. I had called one vendor about a pump but they wanted a core. Thanks for the replies.

Mike

When I was changing from lock up to non lock up I just put the non lu valve in as it renders the tube useless. Now I went back lock up, and just put the lock up valve back in and all working fine. I see no need to go thru changing pumps just because of the added tube, not worth all the effort, if you already removed the tube then go ahead and plug both ends, if tube is still there just leave it in.

Good point Thumper. I ended up just plugging the hole in the suction and the non-lockup valve takes care of the other one. Thanks for the idea.

Mike