ShaunKris

#PROJECT84FORIA
Hopefully I can explain this..I am looking at an external mounted oil cooler setup from Improved Racing. They have a trick thermostatic oil filter mount that I’d like to try.
My question is about the oil temperature the thermostat switches on. They have different temperature thermostats to choose from.
What oil temp is ‘ideal’?

185°, 205°, or 215°?

I keep thinking water therm is 160°, should I choose a similar low temp for oil?

I have been running RoyalP 5/40
In an 84 3.8l HotAir.

Engine oil temperature should be above 212 degrees so any condensation that may collect is cooked off.

Automatic transmission fluid should be kept at 160 to maximize transmission life. I've not heard of condensation collecting in an automatic transmission, but I suppose it might.

Truthfully bud I took my oil cooler off along time ago and have had no issues whatsoever. I’m sure if you do a search you will find many others that have done the same with no bad side effects. I would spend the money somewhere else .

No cooler is needed even in Arizona heat. If autocrossing it sure but normal driving and track stuff I dont aee the need at this time. And yes I log oil temp

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

These engines see very little load, and load is what heats oil up, not idling, not highway driving or city driving.
If you were towing, hill climbing, or long distance racing (more than a 1/4 mile, lolol), then yes an oil cooler is nice to have.