cooling issues- please help

USMC_Turbo6

I am having cooling issues with my car. It tends to run a temp of 205-215 in stop and go traffic. When I am driving on the interstate or long distances the temperature is about 175-183. The car has a 3 row aluminum radiator in it with a shroud that has 2 fans with a casper hotwire kit on them that makes 2800 cfm between the 2 of them. This has been happening randomly for some time now.

1. Have I checked the car to see if there are any water and oil mixing? Yes on numerous occasions and even changed the oil. Everything is clean and fine, no mixing at all.

2. Have I checked to see if oil is in the antifreeze? Yes on numerous occasions and there is no oil in the radiotor at all.

3. Is there any steam coming out of the exhaust? None what so ever.

4. What type of thermostat am I running in my car? 160 degree

5. What type of water combo am I running in the car? Distilled water with 2 bottlles of purple ice and about a quart of radiator fluid for color.

The only thing I can think of next is to put on a new water pump. The current water pump is not that old (maybe 2 yrs old)

Do you guys have any other suggestions to help me figure this out? Thanks

is the radiator sealed to the header panel?

have you verified the gauge is accurate with an external measuring source like an IR laser thermometer?

have you ran it with no thermostat to see what the minimum temp would be on the interstate?

When was the last time you flushed the system? There may be some crap build up in the block which is interfering with flow or not allowing the coolant to stay on the metal. I'd replace the thermostat and flush the block and see what happens. If that doesn't help then replace the water pump.

One other possible issue is lack of air flow. I had a problem with one of my cars years ago and at low speeds it would get hot but at highway speeds it would stay cool.;)

Did you check the thermostat...it simply may be old and out of shape....not me the thermostat.

The thermostat is about 3 months old.

is the radiator sealed to the header panel? Yes

have you verified the gauge is accurate with an external measuring source like an IR laser thermometer? No I have not, but the scanmaster and the gauge is a 2 to 3 degree off from each other.

have you ran it with no thermostat to see what the minimum temp would be on the interstate?
No, I have not I will try that.

When was the last time you flushed the system? There may be some crap build up in the block which is interfering with flow or not allowing the coolant to stay on the metal. I'd replace the thermostat and flush the block and see what happens. If that doesn't help then replace the water pump. 2 days before the Turbo Buick Nationals

One other possible issue is lack of air flow. I had a problem with one of my cars years ago and at low speeds it would get hot but at highway speeds it would stay cool.;)
I do have a very large FMIC

Have you verified that BOTH fans are coming on and not just one?

Might be a possibility

Aaron

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Re pin it so both fans come on all the time... See the thread where I post pics or when I get stationary I can repost to this thread. One fan will not flow enough with your front mount. Been there done that.

Re pin it so both fans come on all the time... See the thread where I post pics or when I get stationary I can repost to this thread. One fan will not flow enough with your front mount. Been there done that.

Ok Can you post the link here? Thanks for the help

here you go... this took me all of 5-10 minutes [and i soldered it too ;)]
didnt have any issues in the high heat and stop and go traffic on the PowerTour... before the tour i was doing testing in the heat and had similar issues... while i was troubleshooting i noticed only one of my new fans was coming on... prior, both of my ramschargers fans were coming on. Found out these new fans had a staged harness - where the first one comes on and after the car reaches 190ish the second one comes on....well i dont want my car getting that hot so i repinned it so that both fans come on..... here's the pics.

IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

here you go... this took me all of 5-10 minutes [and i soldered it too ;)]
didnt have any issues in the high heat and stop and go traffic on the PowerTour... before the tour i was doing testing in the heat and had similar issues... while i was troubleshooting i noticed only one of my new fans was coming on... prior, both of my ramschargers fans were coming on. Found out these new fans had a staged harness - where the first one comes on and after the car reaches 190ish the second one comes on....well i dont want my car getting that hot so i repinned it so that both fans come on..... here's the pics.

View attachment 192182View attachment 192183

Cool I will try that too, but how dose it work with the A/C on

Should work the same., both fans will come on. (But I have no clue what A/C is) ;-)

Make sure you seal up the shroud to the radiator. I used foam for water pipe insulation on mine, makes a big difference with a front mount. All I have for a radiator is an F body.

Bryan

Phoneguy said:
Make sure you seal up the shroud to the radiator. I used foam for water pipe insulation on mine, makes a big difference with a front mount. All I have for a radiator is an F body.

Bryan

Bryan,

Can u send me some pictures of what u did

Royal-T-Ltd said:

X2. I'm pretty sure this will solve the issue. One fan running in stop and go traffic will not flow enough to keep temps cool enough with a huge front mount in the way. Just re-pin it as mentioned above and test it out.

Important that you have everything sealed off best as possible so all air flows thru the intercooler/condenser/ radiator. Both fans should run full speed as already mentioned. Might also want to put a manual switch in for the fans, that way you can start running the fans BEFORE things heat up. When you come into bumper to bumper traffic just hit the switch to run the fans to maintain temp. Easier to keep it cool before it gets too hot and try to bring the temp down.

Yes ck the t stat. To see if it is opening all the way. ( boiling water trick ) also did the car run coolant at all ? I've seen the impellers on the pump collect sludge and not push the coolant enough through the system witch will make it run hot !!!!