cooling issues- please help

Ok, guy here is what I'm going to do over the weekend:
  1. Repin the fans and have them hard wired to a switch also
  2. Put in a new water pump
  3. Put in a new 160 thermostat
  4. Seal up the shroud to the radiator
  5. May order some better Fans that make more CFM found some that will due 1750 each.
  6. Pull one of the valve cover.

also did the car run coolant at all ?
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, it did had it on the dyno at the Nat's with the BIG AZZ fan blowing into it and the temp was at 174 at all time. when I drove the car back home from my Dad's after the Nat's the car temp was about 174-184 at times. and that back roads and interstate driving.

Ok, guy here is what I'm going to do over the weekend:
  1. Repin the fans and have them hard wired to a switch also
  2. Put in a new water pump
  3. Put in a new 160 thermostat
  4. Seal up the shroud to the radiator
  5. May order some better Fans that make more CFM found some that will due 1750 each.
  6. Pull one of the valve cover.

Do the easy stuff first... just re-pin it... takes 10 minutes max... and try before you throw unneeded money to it.
If you have extra money to give - i am currently taking donations for paint.

aaron

Don't have extra money. I will start with the easy stuff first and work my way down the list. So it will go 1,6,4,2,3 and 5.

Something that is helpful when running a FMIC is to add an air dam. Get one from a N/A car and fit it up to the underside of the radiator support. Will need to trim it to clear the charge pipes, but it makes a difference.

What it helps prevent, when sitting still is the recirculation of hot air from the radiator from going back forward under the car and back up through the radiator. Big plus there getting cooler air.

It also helps in slow speed operation to 'scope up' cool air and send it up through the radiator.

Inexpensive and nothing to lose.

RemoveBeforeFlight

UPDATE, Will I re pined the fan and plugged up All of the hole a rounded the Radiator. Let the car idol for about 15 min and the temp got up to 164 just sitting. After that I took it out for about a 30 min ride in town tonight. It ran great the temp on the Scanmaster got up to 185 a few time but stayed around 178:) , the temp gauge got to 185:D and stayed at that point. :D Thanks you guys for all of the help. That's why I love it here.

Round 2 of testing will go today. The temp is going to get up 90 today and I will see how she dose today in so stop and go driving in town. Wish me luck;)

The car did good, had a few high temp a few time in the 195 but dropped back down to the 178 on the scan master and 180 on the gauge. I think I need better fans on the car that pull more CFM. Then it will cool better I think, I also looked into a new shroud do to the fact that I made my own, on base at the hobby shop. I hope that it keeps up the good cooling when I put the new Stroker in the car. :rolleyes:

The car did good, had a few high temp a few time in the 195 but dropped back down to the 178 on the scan master and 180 on the gauge. I think I need better fans on the car that pull more CFM. Then it will cool better I think, I also looked into a new shroud do to the fact that I made my own, on base at the hobby shop. I hope that it keeps up the good cooling when I put the new Stroker in the car. :rolleyes:
Maybe I missed it but what fans are you running?

I'm running to 1200 CFM slim fit puller fans. I found 2 new ones that's 1730 CFM a piece

I don't really think the fans are your problem, you're pulling a good amount of air. Unless they're not really pulling what they're supposed to be. You mentioned the radiator is a 3 row, how old is it?
Also you made your own shroud, maybe it's a little restrictive and actually keeping air from flowing through your radiator at speed? Just some other things to possibly look into.

The radiator is about 2 years old 2 and half years old. I did make my own radiator shroud and I think that may also be part of the problem too. Also the fan do not seem to be moving a lot of air, I compared them to the fan blowing on my father's GN and they seems to be moving a lot more air. Then the ones I have. I have a new shroud on the way to fit the radiator that I have.

The radiator is about 2 years old 2 and half years old. I did make my own radiator shroud and I think that may also be part of the problem too. Also the fan do not seem to be moving a lot of air, I compared them to the fan blowing on my father's GN and they seems to be moving a lot more air. Then the ones I have. I have a new shroud on the way to fit the radiator that I have.

A new record!!! A quadruple post, that must be good for at least four trophy points!

keep up the good work. :D