Remote control Grand National

To all who are interested in possibly getting one of these bodies when they're done,

I've been getting quite a few PMs about this and people posting to this thread wanting me to let them know what's going on with this. Your best bet is just to check back here often, as I'm not going to be able to get back to everybody individually. Whenever there's a new development I'm going to post it here ASAP, which generally means immediately.

I also had someone ask me how I did the GN emblems/license plates on my car and if I'd do it for them. I recently had something happen to my computer that caused my photo editing software, among other things, to not work and I can't find the disks I need to reload these programs. The only way I can do that sort of thing now is to take a picture that's saved on my desktop PC, put it on a USB flash drive, edit it on my laptop, put it back on the flash drive, and back to the desktop PC so I can print it. Not only that, but to put it a little bluntly it's too much of a pain in the azz to have to do it over and over for different people's cars. All I did was take pictures of those items on my real GN, scale them down in Photoshop (this had to be done a few times to get the size right), print them out, cut them out, and glue them to the car body with one of those glue sticks you can find in the school supply/office supply section of any dept. store. I then sprayed clearcoat on the body to protect everything.

I'm trying as much as possible to help everybody out but unfortunately I can't do everything on an individual basis. If anybody has any questions that haven't been covered yet, post them in this thread and I'll try to answer them. That way at least I only need to answer each question once. I've been checking back for new posts to this thread periodically so if there's any questions it won't be long before I see them.

Thanks

Well I am getting aggravated over this whole deal! I shipped out MY car at MY expense to try and do a Favor and now almost two months later he hasn't even acknowledge receiving it or any type of progress report.

He acknowledged receiving it to me via PM on April 21st, then when I inquired about it again I got the following message back from him on May 6th and haven't heard from him since:

SGRIM said:
JST A 6 said:
Hi Shane--

Just wondering how your friend's coming along with that R/C Buick body? I'm going to a cookout at Randy Greenoe's house this Saturday and I'm sure he'll be asking for news about his body that he sent to you to use. Thanks...

We are trying to get it 3-D scanned so we can make an injection mold as opposed to a vaccum mold. He is meeting with a friend he knows in VA to help him this week. If that doesn't work we are going to do a vaccum mold. Will not look as in detail but will get the job done!!!

I should be able to let you know something by Tuesday:)

Thanks,
Shane

I PMed him again a little while ago about it too; still waiting to hear back. Sorry about the aggravation Randy...

Mike don't sweat it! iI know that you got caught up in this just as I did.
I really don't care that much about the car it is just principles.

Mike don't sweat it! iI know that you got caught up in this just as I did.
I really don't care that much about the car it is just principles.

I do care about it, because I have a conscience. It's one thing to get myself involved in something but I also got you involved so it would upset me if that thing came back damaged or not at all. I really don't think there's anything to worry about with Shane but when I borrow something I like to get it back to the rightful owner exactly as I received it, and in a timely manner. I'm actually sort of irritated that I've had Chuck's air grinder for about a year now and every time I try to call to get it back to him he just tells me not to worry about it. I only borrowed it to enlarge the wastegate hole in my turbine housing and downpipe last August. I'll probably have to go through the same thing with his intercooler now that I bought my own too. BTW, I haven't gotten around to cleaning up my GTA wheels at all yet but will try to do something with that this weekend so I can get your tools back to you soon. I appreciate you letting me use them so if I can ever help you with something let me know.

After paint
DSCF1055.jpg

what kit did you use for the body and for the frame? i like your wheels may think about getting that kit and tring this.

thanks

This isn't for sale or anything, just thought I'd post some pics of one of my projects from this past winter. The first one is the car I got the body from. Man, I hate to see cars done up like this, with huge "Dubs" and all. Especially when it's a Buick Regal with a bulge in the hood and a spoiler on the back. This is the toy that turbo6mike had posted in the for sale section like forever:rolleyes:, so I bought it so people on this board wouldn't have to look at it anymore. Well, here's a pic of it anyway in case somebody didn't see:

1.jpg

As you can sort of see in the pics it had a hood ornament, chrome grille/headlight bezels/etc. and clear lenses all around but I filled in the hood ornament hole, painted all the trim satin black, and painted the back side of all the lenses on the lights. For the license plates and emblems, I took pictures of these parts on my actual car and resized them in MS Paint, printed them out and cut them out and glued them to the car body. I applied the clearcoat to the body over the emblems. Pics of the finished body:

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

NICE!!!!:cool:

What is the status on this project? Is he making the bodies? Lots of people interested including myself. If not, where do I get one of these bodies to paint into a GN? Anyone?

There are some on ebay every now and then.I found one for $25 bucks with all working parts.

What is the status on this project? Is he making the bodies? Lots of people interested including myself. If not, where do I get one of these bodies to paint into a GN? Anyone?

Last PM I got from Shane said the guy is working on it, albeit at a very slow pace. I'm hoping soon I'll get Randy's car body back from Shane so he can have it back. Shane also said the guy was making them slightly larger than the body Randy sent them as a template, which is both good and bad as far as I'm concerned. Good because the track width on my chassis is just a bit wide for the body, bad because I already had to lengthen my chassis slightly to get the wheelbase just right. It might work better with a different chassis though. I may have to go to a different chassis eventually anyway--this one is nowhere near as fast as I'd hoped, and to me that's a very important thing for an R/C GN.

Thanks for the update. What chassis did you use and what one are you thinking about using? I'm looking for a fast car also but want it to fit right with the body. I dont want a nitro car. I would also like it to have nice rims. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the update. What chassis did you use and what one are you thinking about using? I'm looking for a fast car also but want it to fit right with the body. I dont want a nitro car. I would also like it to have nice rims. Any suggestions?

If I can find it on the net again I'll post a link. As far as which one to go with, I'm really not quite sure yet since I'm fairly new to the R/C car game.

If I can find it on the net again I'll post a link. As far as which one to go with, I'm really not quite sure yet since I'm fairly new to the R/C car game.

Would you say its a standard 1/10th car r/c car.Is your car a nitro powered one?

Would you say its a standard 1/10th car r/c car.Is your car a nitro powered one?

I don't know what you mean by "standard" but it is 1/10 scale. It is electric. This is the one I used:

BananaHobby - 1:10 Black Ferrari Enzo High Speed Electric Powered Radio Remote Control On Road Sport Car

And I'm thinking I might go with something like this. I'll have to be sure first about the dimensions and that it's actually faster than the one I got. Looks like a higher quality piece though:

Upgraded!! EXCEED RC 1/10th Champion PRO Electric Brushless Version RTR Car w/ 3300KV Motor & HSP ESC 70A. Faster than Nitro RC Cars!