remanufactured engine question

skostur79

if i was to use a vin A engine
new rebuilt one

would it work or selfdesruct in no time because of the turbo usage?

The "nonturbo" engine did not have pistons that would stand the turbo power. Not sure what the compression ratio was, it may be wrong, too. The crank was not as good as the turbo crank, but that would work Ok, just wouldn't last for years and years like the turbo crank. And the block would not have the drainback hole for the turbo oil line. Other than that....

from my service manual there same 8 to1 compression

hot air uses the intake for oil drain back so im ok there

im looking 1500 easy to rebuild my old one

i can get a reman with out my core for 1300 plus a warrenty

skostur79 said:
from my service manual there same 8 to1 compression

hot air uses the intake for oil drain back so im ok there

im looking 1500 easy to rebuild my old one

i can get a reman with out my core for 1300 plus a warrenty
who's reman are you talking about. if its a jasper motor , they take a beating. as far as the right pistons and crank? its hit os miss. i bought a short block from them and got lucky i guess. ive heard of people going 10s with that block consistantly with regular pistons and crank.:eek: :D

not a jasper there 2200-2400 for a long block

there was a couple i was comparing atk,recon, some others
they say new pistons ,ring ,bearings, lifters, cam etcsss

this engine i dont see major abuse/overboost , racing etc

but one or two passed down the 1/4 ya

still dont know what im doing yet with this rebuild or replace

Put an ATK in mine. I specified a vin7 turbo. I got a 109 block, correct connecting rods, 8445 turbo heads, drainback in front of block. I could not determine if the crank was a turbo crank or how much the mains and rods may have been turned without taking a main and/or a rod cap off. I did not want to mess with it. A general examination seemed to show that it was assembled cleanly and bolts were torqued correctly. I only have about 1000 miles at most on it but I am running 23-25 lbs boost with a DIY alky injection and it runs fine. Oil pressure is 26psi minimum at max oil temps at idle. I have no issues at all so far and I'm beginning to feel more confident that it is built pretty well.The pistons are .040 over. I think they tend to bore .040 on alot of their rebuilds. No overheating problems at all. The pistons are dished like stock ones but I have no idea who made them or of what quality they are. They do appear pretty beefy near the piston pins and at least look as rugged as stock ones. I don't know the metallurgy however-just going by visual appearance. So far I am pleased. Seems to feel like the old motor did HP wise. The extra overbore might add just a bit of low end torque. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me. :) I think I paid about 1300 bucks w/o a core.