Reman maf has goo inside???

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i just recieved a reman'd maf from a vendor and when i looked inside there is some kind of jelly like goo inside that is falling apart and is very sticky. Is this normal??? I know i cannot hook it to the car this way because the goo would be sucked right out of the maf. I have a pic below to show what im talking about.

406c6523.jpg

First off that isn't even the correct maf for our cars, might and might not work OK. As far as the goo goes yes that does seem to be quite abit but I have seen it in original mafs also.

First off that isn't even the correct maf for our cars, might and might not work OK. As far as the goo goes yes that does seem to be quite abit but I have seen it in original mafs also.

You sure this isnt the right one? I got it from gbody parts so i would think they would have the right one.

Probably calibrated ok to work ok but a NOS maf has the plug pointing down. I think those came off a Camaro or something? They do work as I used one.

You sure this isnt the right one? I got it from gbody parts so i would think they would have the right one.

it is definetly not original or an original replacement-------original calibration code was BW and was signified by a sticker on the bottom of the plug shelf-------it could work ok if it is calibrated correctly but i have serious doubts since most of the ones i see with the straight connector do not work correctly on our cars-------based on lots of measuring i give you a one out of ten chance--------least of your worries is the goop--------its common on some GM units and i have seen it still in place after many many miles-------it hangs in there really good

Well i was told when i ordered it that it was redone by acdelco

might have been redone but for what car??? send it to me and i will flowbench test it for you no charge-------i'll send it back with a calibration chart

Well i am driving up to gbody tommorow to let them do some work on my car and im going to let them look it over first. But thank you for the offer, might take you up on it soon.

Goo

I blew mine right in half,the goo was covering the circuit board.
I removed all the very soft stuff,recovered the board with silicone and used a thick crazy glue & JB weld to rejoin the 2 halves. Seems to work OK have yet to push it hard yet though.
I think the goo just protects the board.
Mart

Attachments

• 100_1124.jpg
    100_1124.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 202
don't worry about the goo, its on all the one's i've seen pull off any excess.
however those remans are finicky....first one would only give me 110 voltage max, returned it and got another one. lucky for me i only had to try 2 of them.

The "goo" is for weather proofing. All stock mafs have it. :)

its intended purpose was to keep water out of the circuit board-------but if you look at a original MAF it was a lot neater inside and not all globbed up----------believe it or not when its messy it actually shows up on a flow bench as a slight reduction in flow

I have read somewhere all manufacturer GM MAF connection will be straight instead of 90*, but the operation or function works the same.

Sorry but you read wrong. The original mafs for the turbo Buick and the correct one plugs in from the bottom or is a 90. The ones Iv'e run into with LOTS of that goo in them I just take a tooth brush and clean it out,(carefully) and then spray it out good with electrical cleaner. As Richard and I have said your chances of those other ones working correctly are shakey.

After reading what I wrote I realized spell check removed some of the sentencing. What I meant to say is the manufacturer of GM MAF connection will no longer be made with the 90* but will be straight.

After reading what I wrote I realized spell check removed some of the sentencing. What I meant to say is the manufacturer of GM MAF connection will no longer be made with the 90* but will be straight.

i will believe it when i actually measure ONE that is made by GM that reads correctly------so far they are batting 0 and i have tested quite a few for folks-------i HAVE seen a very FEW aftermarket remanufactured units with the straight plug that are calibrated correctly for the GN and have read correctly but it is rare---------personally i doubt this since GM discontinued the BW calibrated Maf in the mid 90's with no regard for a replacement------its hard to believe that 10 or so years later they suddenly decided to make an oblolete part for a car they already gave up on---------but with the leadership at GM these days i guess anything is possible--------perhaps the big O is partial to black cars and wrote another silly exectutive order............RC