relocating stock intercooler

charlloots

SMO-CUM
has anybody ever try to relocate the stock intercooler in a frontmount location or seen this done . i pulled the intercooler today and wanted to do more then just a early spring cleaning.
well anybody ever here of this.

I've thought about it for years but haven't tried it. Everyone I've asked tells me it doesn't sound like a good idea.

About a year ago, their was a guy here selling the pipe "kit" he made to relocate the IC upfront. He told me he gained .1 and 2 mph in the 1/4 mile by doing this.

I might try it some day. Who knows, it might work. Let me know if you come up with something.
:cool:

I relocated the stock intercooler - to my basement...

:D

What makes you think a stock I/C would be a good choice for a FM? Does it pass enough air to lower the charge air temperature relative to the stock location? Probably...

Does it compromise radiator performance, resulting in higher coolant temperatures, loss of HP and possible knock? Probably...

Will it require new tubes, brackets, and hardware, and maybe hoses? Most assuredly...

:(

Re: Here it is.

Originally posted by Turbojorge
My Bad, it was .2 tenths. (Hey It was more than a year ago)

I am not an "intercooler" expert, but have messed with LOTs of different ones on many cars, and a .2 increase for a stock I/C relocated with more bends and turns [restriction?] is not credible to me. This "test" would have be be more controlled and documented to have any real value.

Sorry, like lots of "info" thrown around the internet, needs more verification. There are many better things to do that relocate a stock I/C which has questionable value and may even hurt performance.

Jorge, I know you only posted the reference, and this is only my opinion.:D

Nick, the facts given by you and strikeeagle is why I never tried it.

I guess when you're broke (like me), you just come up with crappy ideas. :eek:

It would be good if someone did a "controled and documented test" just for kicks though. Hell, their doing test WITHOUT an IC at all on 87's (Bruce).
:)

I was wondering if anyone remembered ole Vernon

He used to do most of the work on my car. After several problems with the car, I learned how to do alot myself now.:rolleyes: He has alot of homemade stuff done to his car and the results speak for themselves. Why pay high dollar when you can go fast for cheap. Only bad thing about ole Vern.... hasn't seen him with a scan tool much during his runs. I think if he got this thing tuned he could tease the 9s.

still undisided but just might try it i just finishsed stripping all the paint off the stock intercooler dam it looks good i also bored out the necks man it looks faster just sitting there in my shop. :D

Bored out necks

How much gain would you get from something like that? Would it almost equal a larger neck assuming you did both? How much material can be taken away without compromising the strength of the necks? It stands to reason a little better flow would help performance and the cost of opening up the necks is very cheap.

Originally posted by charlloots
still undisided but just might try it i just finishsed stripping all the paint off the stock intercooler dam it looks good i also bored out the necks man it looks faster just sitting there in my shop. :D

Do you mean putting the bigger 2 1/2 neck and relocating it? I think that would force you to mount it low in front of radiator. I guess you would just cut that neck off completely (the 90* one) and just run the pipes up the same way on both sides.

What did you use to strip the paint?

a stock intercooler with a ported big-neck (ala Mease), will provide enough air-charge temperature drop to make most combinations tunable and efficient into the 11s.

There are several Turbo Buick owners with the stretch IC's who have dipped well into the 10s.

Mease also offers a big-neck inlet and 3" outlet stretch IC from anywhere from 13-rows to 21-rows.

For the budget minded, the stock intercooler is a excellent design. If you want to increase its "performance" at home, you can port the hell out of the inlet/outlet, strip off the old paint check for any pin-holes, if you have any fill with epoxy, straighten any bent or damaged fins with some needle nose pliers, flush it out thoroughly with brake cleaner and then water and just put a few light coats of trim paint or radiator specific paint on (available from Eastwood)...

..or... have a big-neck installed and all the above work will be taken care of as part of the price (at Mease)

The FMIC's are really only worthwhile if your car is stricly for race or if you're street/strip combo is into the 9s or faster.. other than that, a well-done stretch IC can perform exceptionally well and allow proper, unrestricted (aside from the AC condensor) air-flow to your radiator.

Originally posted by darkfa8

For the budget minded, the stock intercooler is a excellent design.
..or... have a big-neck installed and all the above work will be taken care of as part of the price (at Mease)

The FMIC's are really only worthwhile if your car is stricly for race or if you're street/strip combo is into the 9s or faster.. other than that, a well-done stretch IC can perform exceptionally well and allow proper, unrestricted (aside from the AC condensor) air-flow to your radiator.

After reading Corky's Book, I decided to do some experimenting.
With just a min amount of work, I've been able to match the charge cooling of the stock Intercooler with just adding a 7th injector, and removing the stock I/C. Granted it's a bit of work, but with some refining I'm looking to do even better.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/nointercooler.html

For life a 1/4 mile at a time, a large FMIC is hard to beat, welllll, at lwast so far..

Re: I was wondering if anyone remembered ole Vernon

Ha! Caught you guys talking about me! I almost forgot about this place. I'm out-of-touch with the Turbo Buick scene now days. I haven't got a clue about what's "HOT" or what's "NOT" anymore. Is a 70 series turbo too small for a 12 second car now? Do I need dual 4" exhaust these days.... hehehe

Just thought I'd drop a note to say HI to all my friends!:cool:

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
Only bad thing about ole Vern.... hasn't seen him with a scan tool much during his runs. I think if he got this thing tuned he could tease the 9s.

In 6.5 seconds there's NO time to take a peek at the scan tool!:D

bruce,

your ic'less project looks very intersting...hope you take this as a compliment, but everytime i see pics of your engine bay it looks like something out of Buick's R&D department.. like a test mule lol

i remember asking you about where to mount that MAT sensor.. now i see it :)

your alternator relocation bracketry looks pretty interesting too...

As for the 7th injector.. might you also try alcohol or propane injection to further cool the air-charge temps or are you going to try and do this all on full-time provided fuel without another added fuel/cooling method?

Also, with your air-filter plumbing tract being as short as it is, and the filter being right behind the radiator.. how does that perform with it being subjected to the engine bay heat and the preheated air coming in from the radiator.. as opposed to a low-pressure, low heat zone?

also wondered what that device is on your passenger side front valve cover? is that a boost controller stepper motor?

looks like the "device on the valve cover" on his motor is a single ignition coil for that cylinder maybe? cool, coil per plug ignition like a SR20DET nissan.