Redline question

buickbuggy

I'm wondering if there is a way to figure out what redline would be for my motor? I was told it has a different cam in it, but don't know anything about it, it has a Weiand Smokey Yumick intake on it and pulls strong to 4500 and seems like it has a bit left but I haven't dared push much above that. I did go to 5000 once and it seemed to be ok but I didn't want to push my luck.

That's usually about the limit of the engine. I hate to say it but without tearing into the engine or at least a list of parts used you really won't know what the limit may be. If you can, get a vacuum reading at idle and see how much it's pulling.That will give some sort of idea on the cam. Low vacuum would be a higer performance cam than a stock one.

Measure the valve spring pressure and lobe lift.

I have been thinking about taking it to a dyno and seeing where I'm at. Would that tell me around where redline is, or is it just so I know where the power is, and of course I'd want to stay in the powerband so that would tell me where the engine is "happy". I'll have to look around and see if I can find a reputable dyno in the area. I found one that seems made for sand rails, it's a hub dyno or something like that where it seems to bolt directly to the hubs I think but I didn't know if those are any good or not.

I found a local dyno shop that charges $100 an hour for as many runs as I want and that doesn't sound to bad so I'm going to try to take it over there sometime in the next few weeks and see what I can find out. I'll have to see if it's possible to run my paddle tires or what, since that's what I have for now.