Red Top Optima Battery-Charging

URSPANKED

Wanted to give a tip on charging the Optima batteries. Maybe everyone already knows this, but I wasn't told when I bought mine. I have an Optima Red Top. I found out the hard way that you cannot perform a "quick charge" on these batteries. They require a "deep cycle charge", which I guess is typically 2 amps/hr. or so, over a 24 hour period. I performed the "quick charge" on mine (the 40amps./hr), and it started smoking and smelling like sulfur.
I took it back to where I purchased it and the guy said that is what happened. One of the gel cells ruptured due to excess heat. The battery was still in warranty (full replacement). The guy told me that his manager probably wouldn't make it good, because of it being quick-charged, but since he wasn't there, he would go ahead and do it. I thought it was very nice of him, since I hadn't been told this when I purchased it.
So, remember, only a trickle charge for these batteries.

That's good info to know so thanks for posting that. I have these in both of my Buicks and they have been great batts not needing any maintenance or charge.

My wife told me this just yesterday (she has one in her CRD Liberty).

Of course I already knew, having almost burned down the garage last year trying to charge the one in my TTA at 8 amps.

I just didn't tell her.

So jumping them cant be good either huh?

Been through 2 redtops.... I was starting to think they were just garbage.

I found that I can't just trickle (2A) charge Red Tops with my battery charger if they are dead. Maybe its just my battery charger, but if I start with a dead one, my battery charger will charge it upto 8 Volt then flash bad battery after an hour or so. I start with high current charge for a few minutes until they hold a some voltage (ie 12Volts) then I trickle charge them from that point on.

My sears charger would not charge them. So I'd take them back to Advance Auto, they gave me at least two new ones. I finally realized that you had to slow or trickle charge them.

Interesting thread. Some guys at our monthly car club cruise have talked
about the Optimas and said the only problem is trying to charge them...now
I know why they said that.

Looks like a slow, 2A charge is the best. I have a standard battery and
will keep a float charger on it (at 1A or 2A) if I do not use the car for longer
than 3 weeks. I keep the car garaged, alarm off, and ECM unplugged.

I am curious to know from you guys who have the Optimas...why do you
think they are worth the extra money over a standard battery?

Steve

I charge mine on "medium" for 15-20 minutes. Then I let it cool down for 15-20 minutes. I normally repeat at least 4 times or until it passes the load test. I haven't had any problems charging it this way.

My yellow top is going on 10 years now that's why I use one.

Most I ever got out of a regular battery was 3.5.

I charge mine with a 2/10 Sears charger on the 10A switch setting.

But since I drive mine usually to charge them I only have to do that when I go racing or uncover the GN in the spring which also has a newer yellow top. :)

I have been contemplating Optima because 3 of my vehicles batteries are nearing their 3 year birthday and that is when I usually replace them. I hear good and bad reviews but the charging factor comes up a lot, so if they are charged correctly do they out perform wet cell batteries?

Interesting thread. Some guys at our monthly car club cruise have talked
about the Optimas and said the only problem is trying to charge them...now
I know why they said that.

Looks like a slow, 2A charge is the best. I have a standard battery and
will keep a float charger on it (at 1A or 2A) if I do not use the car for longer
than 3 weeks. I keep the car garaged, alarm off, and ECM unplugged.

I am curious to know from you guys who have the Optimas...why do you
think they are worth the extra money over a standard battery?

Steve

I have a $189 battery I use to start my lawn mower:mad: I've been stranded too many times with the red top optima battery! I bought a green top Interstate battery and have not been stranded yet! Nuf said.....

I sold a ton of Interstate batteries during my almost 20 year auto repair career with mostly good results. They had a 1 to 2 year free replacement policy so I would always "warranty replace" my battery before that time.:D They had a period where they were junk for about a year or 2 but other than that, I was happy with them. So..are Optima batteries worth the $?