Recommendations for a crank-kit and flywheel?

Don't know what caused it. She was'nt pushed or slammed on. The rod bearing's surface are still smooth, no busted metal parts anywere. My theory is metal fatigue.:confused:

Or, overly tightened fan belts. I broke my first bracket, (on the N/A), the same way. It split into three pieces. The last time I worked on the heads I noticed that the newer bracket broke too. I rebuilt it by bolting and bending 1/8" stock. Double checked clearances and all and the belts went on well.

With these prior instances of broken brackets I think I really tighten the belts well and something had to give. This time around the crank could'nt handle the strain. It broke right were the front two rods bolt up. It is a perfect split. Well enough for me to drive it as it was and all and not damage any other internal componants.

ya know this is something Ihad been dealing with in the past but have never addressed.

THROWN V BELTS! I bet your cranking your belts up to keep em from coming off.... I have to do the same... luckly I have never encountered a broken crank, but it makes me worry about it none the less........ I wonder if its time to look into some deep groove pullys?

A.j.

I think a serpentine pully system would be the ticket. But I don't know of anyone that makes 'em for our engines...:(

I personally would like to run a toothed drive belt of gilmer fashion.... if you look at most of the high end roundy round Stage 2s thats what they use... thus, i know the drives are out there... we just gotta find them

A.j.

I personally would like to run a toothed drive belt of gilmer fashion.... if you look at most of the high end roundy round Stage 2s thats what they use... thus, i know the drives are out there... we just gotta find them

A.j.

so the grooved belts are better than the standard belts, That i have? My balancer belt, serpentine, and other belts are non toothed.

so the grooved belts are better than the standard belts, That i have? My balancer belt, serpentine, and other belts are non toothed.

well that depends on application.... for what you have man, the stock v belts will be plenty...

for me, charlie, and freddie ... its a slightly different story.

I know the combo of 700R4 and 373s out back let my revs come up real fast... and I hit 6000 + rpm a little too quickly... which is why were having to crank the belt pressure up to retain them. the pressure however, could be a downside to the crank and cause it to prematurely fail.

I want the flat, toothed belts like a timing belt... because the pressure needed to run them is very low and its positive because of the locating teeth on the belts and pullys. but its not practical for everyone... certainly probably not anyone with a stock engine bay... as im a hybrid and whatever fits goes!

A.j.

Anybody have a spare flywheel, (in good condition), they don't need???

I don't wanna buy a knew one...:biggrin:

I'm a certified cheapskate....

Anybody have a spare flywheel, (in good condition), they don't need???

I don't wanna buy a knew one...:biggrin:

I'm a certified cheapskate....

were you running a turbo or no turbo one before?

I got quite a few... but I need charlie to throw up that difference guide again.

A.j.

Non-turbo. (25512346)...

Here are some vitals that I 've come up with: Teeth 160 / Pitch 12.14 / O.D. 13.42" Whatever that means...:rolleyes:

Best price I've come up with is $24.99 at Advance (Cheap Chinese junk), Auto new. It dont matter if it's used. I just want it real cheap. :biggrin:

well that depends on application.... for what you have man, the stock v belts will be plenty...

for me, charlie, and freddie ... its a slightly different story.

I know the combo of 700R4 and 373s out back let my revs come up real fast... and I hit 6000 + rpm a little too quickly... which is why were having to crank the belt pressure up to retain them. the pressure however, could be a downside to the crank and cause it to prematurely fail.

I want the flat, toothed belts like a timing belt... because the pressure needed to run them is very low and its positive because of the locating teeth on the belts and pullys. but its not practical for everyone... certainly probably not anyone with a stock engine bay... as im a hybrid and whatever fits goes!

A.j.

I'm probibly going to use re-enforced belts Aj, not even close to a stock design. I'd love to use a Gilmer belt but right now it's more than I can spend.:frown:

Non-turbo. (25512346)...

Here are some vitals that I 've come up with: Teeth 160 / Pitch 12.14 / O.D. 13.42" Whatever that means...:rolleyes:

Best price I've come up with is $24.99 at Advance (Cheap Chinese junk), Auto new. It dont matter if it's used. I just want it real cheap. :biggrin:

I'll see what I can come up with for you Freddie. Next weekend I get 30% off anything in the store and 10% off special order so I might be able to include it with the crank for you, if everything works out. I'll just have to see how it goes.:smile:

Will a grand national crank work in our cars?

Same crank Ramone. All the turbo cars use the same design so it shouldn't be an issue unless you get hold of an "on center" after market one.:biggrin:

.....Next weekend I get 30% off anything in the store and 10% off special order so I might be able to include it with the crank for you, if everything works out.....

I'd like that very much Charlie. I Guess I'll have to wait. No big hurry. This has to be done right. Thanks Charlie... :D

I'd like that very much Charlie. I Guess I'll have to wait. No big hurry. This has to be done right. Thanks Charlie... :D

No problem Freddie. I've got to buy one myself. All I've got is the 4.1 flexplate plus the one that's in the car right now. Since both have bad cranks I have a feeling the engines were slightly abused and I really don't want to use them.

well freddie, if your in no super rush, I got a couple of old NA ones you can have? A.j.

I'll pay the shipping as long as it's in good condition. Just let me know the shipping cost so I can get with you. :biggrin:

My flexplate went bad because I had installed a bad starter several years ago and it slowly chewed up one spot of the flexplate. Occasionally when I went to start her up and the bad spot was in line, it slipped and took a couple of ticks to get a good grip. Now that the engine is off, might as well deal with it. :cool:

I'll pay the shipping as long as it's in good condition. Just let me know the shipping cost so I can get with you. :biggrin:

My flexplate went bad because I had installed a bad starter several years ago and it slowly chewed up one spot of the flexplate. Occasionally when I went to start her up and the bad spot was in line, it slipped and took a couple of ticks to get a good grip. Now that the engine is off, might as well deal with it. :cool:

Shoot me an Addy in a PM... will have it out monday.

A.j.

Aj cheats on his shipping so I doubt you need to worry about it Freddie. Lucky bum.

I you want a mini starter I've seen the PMG style on evilbay for as little as $60 shipped and new so if you need a link I can post it for you.