Recommendations for a crank-kit and flywheel?

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
Any recommendations for a crank-kit and flywheel? (May need a new crank). Definitely a new flywheel.

Any suggestions...:cool:

How bad did you trash it Freddie? Check the for sale section or post a "I need" add. I've got an NA crank if you're desperate for one. Just been installed in the block and is sitting under cover. I won't be using it so I'll let you have it for cheap.

How bad did you trash it Freddie? I've got an NA crank if you're desperate for one.....

Don't know yet. If it can still be cut I may salvage. It was already cut once down to 0.10, (it is an N/A crank). I don't subscribe to the 'must have' turbo crank. It was overkill anyway and they are impossible to find. (It's nice if one has it already in good condition).

I'm looking at the NAPA one cut .030. It's made by a reputable company, (Standard), and the kit comes with mains and rod bearings for a whopping $195.00.

If only I could trust the local machinists I'd have mine cut down to .030 if it's savagable. But since I don't and there's always that 'turn-around' time factor, I'm still undecided. :(

I'll see about checking the one I've got and you can have the bearings with it for $120 shipped Freddie. I think it's either a .010-.010 or maybe a .020-.020. I got lucky and have a turbo crank that I'll be using.

Is it a fresh machined cut or was it a good 'U-Pull'? If it's a fresh cut that's a very good deal. Must have the correct sizes though...:cool:

Fresh cut and in the block with bearings right now Freddie. It came with the 82 GN and I've got 2 turbo cranks for the other 2 engines I have so it can be sold without restriction. You want it? Send me an email, I'll answer later because I have to go to work until 9 tonight.

I have'nt pulled the engine out yet. I'll get with you once I see how bad the damage is. The offer is good. I may consider it if my damage is severe. What name brand bearings come with it?

I have no idea Freddie. All I've done with the block so far is put it on a stand and cover it up so it won't get anything into it. I'll see if I can get to it this weel and find out what it has for you.

Broken crank!!!

Freekin' amazing!!! :eek:

Attachments

• Engine Pulled.jpg
    Engine Pulled.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 223
  • Broken Crank.jpg
    Broken Crank.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 219
Ownich! Looks like it's time for a alignment check and a new crank. Hope it didn't hurt anything else Freddie.

I take PP and it's a 10-10. Checked the GN thread and I took pics if you want to look Freddie.

wow!thats a new one!

very cool man!

A.j.

Don't know what caused it. She was'nt pushed or slammed on. The rod bearing's surface are still smooth, no busted metal parts anywere. My theory is metal fatigue.:confused:

Or, overly tightened fan belts. I broke my first bracket, (on the N/A), the same way. It split into three pieces. The last time I worked on the heads I noticed that the newer bracket broke too. I rebuilt it by bolting and bending 1/8" stock. Double checked clearances and all and the belts went on well.

With these prior instances of broken brackets I think I really tighten the belts well and something had to give. This time around the crank could'nt handle the strain. It broke right were the front two rods bolt up. It is a perfect split. Well enough for me to drive it as it was and all and not damage any other internal componants.