reciever hitch rusted in

chevyII

Ok I just bought a new boat and need to take out the reciever to get a different hieght. Its frozen in there and cant sem to move it. Now I have worked at a shop for a few years. And I can tell you beating it with hammers and using complete cylinders of acetilene wouldnt get others out. Anybody have a proven method? I always wanted to try and put a chain around one and a concrete pole. Like the ones in a parking lot and give it alittle slack.
I would prolly be a on one of those home video shows ripping out the rear frame rails. Any ideas short of getting a new complete unit bolted on?

I chained mine to a tree, and roke the chain. I suggest replacing it. That is what I did. If it is rusty enough to have welded together, then it is rusty enough to break on you. Mine was all rotted on the backside, with big holes that you couldn't see without taking it off. Cheap insurance.

I hooked mine to a tree and pulled it out after I let it soak overnight with PB Blaster sprayed all over it.

What about backing into something (Tree, poll, concrete barrier, ricer?). Might break it loose.

Lots and Lots of penetrating oil and be paitent Good luck Jon Hanson PS I work in the overhead crane industry and we use aero-kroil best stuff I have EVER found!!:confused:

I had the same problem. Turns out not only was the reciever rusted but the tube was bent. I jacked up the car with the jack pushing on the tube right on its sweet spot. A couple of hits with the sledge and I was able to pull it out. Landed on my butt and bruised the tail bone.

I used PB blaster, oxy/acetylene and a BFH. It came out but took some time. Let it soak for a few days.

PB-Blaster.jpg

Get'er done!