Rear main seal replacement

Pwt

Does anyone have any pics they can post with notes about replacing the rear main seal. Im going to try and replace mine but Im worried about screwing up my crank and bearings.

I think he meant to say "the right stuff". You can walk into Napa and buy it off of the shelf. Pressurized can with black label.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do you have a pert number for this sealant? I can't find it online.

Permatex Right Stuff is readily available at the parts stores. I have done a few rear main seals and only used Permatex clear RTV and never had a leak on any of them. If you ever have to remove the rear main bearing cap after putting the Right Stuff on it all i can say is good luck getting it off. I used Permatex Ultra Black RTV on my valve cover on my runabout and could not take the cover back off when i wanted to, and still to this day i can't. And the Right Stuff is stronger than the Ultra Black.

Here is a link for you on how to replace the rear main seal. All i can add is make sure everything is as clean and oil free as you can get it. And fill the side cavities with RTV until you see it squeeze out from the parting lines between the main cap and the block. And give it as much time as you can for the RTV to cure.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/rearmain.html

Yes, I mean right stuff! (sorry)
Looks like this:
rightstuff2.jpg

When you shoot it in the side holes and you see it ooze out the sides of the cap then you know your done. I usually slide a thin pick in there to make sure there is no air pockets. Make sure the mating surface is really clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk