Rear Main Seal Question...

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
well my buddy has a turbo regal and the rear main is leaking like no other...

i was just curious the steps to take in order to do the seal..

drop the cross over,
drop the pan,

do you have to remove the trans or pull the engine?

every car guy i talk to says that those steps are a must but i just want to make sure before i dive into this project

thanks in advance

Do above, then pull rear main cap off. Pretty easy after that. Take the time to check c.r. bearings too and clean the pan really good.
Sorry, leave the tranny in :D

make sure when you put the new seal in dont make it even with the block and main cap leave it crooked so the ends are not with the main cap and block.

I use a small slide hammer to remove the rear cap. You want to take the oil pump pickup off and clean it good!

I use the FelPro rubber seal kit BS 40613 and pan gasket OS 30521 R. I've done at least a hundred and had very good luck with these parts.

I don't stagger the seal halves in the cap and block. I use the rubber side seals and nails supplied in the kit but I put some RTV in the grooves before I insert the side seal.

Read up on the job before you start.

turbodave231 said:
I use the FelPro rubber seal kit BS 40613 and pan gasket OS 30521 R. I've done at least a hundred and had very good luck with these parts.

I don't stagger the seal halves in the cap and block. I use the rubber side seals and nails supplied in the kit but I put some RTV in the grooves before I insert the side seal.

DITTO.