rear disc conversion

SO to use an LS1 rear brake setup you have to cut one of the ears off and get the scarebird bracket?

Im confused because there are so many options in here we are cross contaminating my thought process.

Let me try to un**** my brain here.

One bracket bolts on and lets you use LT1 brakes.

Summit sells a nice conv kit for 469 that looks nice. Anyone using it?

SO to use an LS1 rear brake setup you have to cut one of the ears off and get the scarebird bracket?

Im confused because there are so many options in here we are cross contaminating my thought process.

scarebird is for lt1 no cutting. the ls1 u cut flange and use the emergency brake drum with the 4 bolt backing plate that comes with the brakes. cut flange install plate mark top holes and drill and install top 2 bolts

You're making it way harder than it is Irv. The scarebird brackets use the earlier caliper with the parking brake as part of the caliper. Very simple in the end but the caliper/parking brake design has some issues. Special tool are required to push the piston back in the caliper if you do a brake job.

The 4th gen camaro brakes require you to cut the flange down and drill 4 holes. The parking brake is a drum style that contacts the inside of the rotor. You will need to adapt the parking brake calbe to the parking brake lever to make it work.

Does that help any Irv or should I just PM you my number?

I am not making it hard. Just some clarification on what each option entails since there a few options being tossed around.

Scarebird uses the old Caddy calipers right? Not interested.

The bracket for the LT1 setup is a possibility.

Im not sure im going to use the ebrake at all anyways.

But im really interested in the kit from Summit, but i'd like some real world info from someone familiar with, or better yet, someone who is using it.

LS1 kit would be great but thats the one i feel i have the least info on.

I am not making it hard. Just some clarification on what each option entails since there a few options being tossed around.

Scarebird uses the old Caddy calipers right? Not interested.

The bracket for the LT1 setup is a possibility. Im not sure im going to use the ebrake at all anyways.

The original LT1 and the Caddy used the same rear calipers Irv. You can also substitute the front calipers off a B body GM chasis but you won't have a parking brake.

But im really interested in the kit from Summit, but i'd like some real world info from someone familiar with, or better yet, someone who is using it.

LS1 kit would be great but thats the one i feel i have the least info on.

As far as the LS1 parts, I went with them because I had the parts. If you can do a little welding then you can get weld on brackets for the tubes and then use B body calipers for the front. The brackets are about $10 each.:)

Weld on brackets sound good. Where do i get those and that should mean not having to remove the axles? But when you say B body calipers for the front, do you mean FROM the front. Like to use for the rear?

This picture is the LS1 style brake set up. The caliper bolts onto the ears on the left of the picture. The axles do have to come out in order to get the caliper bracket onto the mounting flange. Note that this is listed as the right-rear, which will be placed on the left-rear of a our cars. IOW, the assemblies get swapped side to side.

Will also need to fabricate a bracket to attach the parking brake cable housing to.

This link covers the entire swap process:

www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/206369-ls1-f-body-rear-brake-swap.html

RemoveBeforeFlight

Attachments

• ParkingBrake-2002.jpg
    ParkingBrake-2002.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 160
Weld on brackets sound good. Where do i get those and that should mean not having to remove the axles? But when you say B body calipers for the front, do you mean FROM the front. Like to use for the rear?

Yep, front calipers off a early to mid 70's Monte ect Irv. They're the same as the rear caddy calipers minus the parking brake lever. Pretty cheap too.

Speedway motors has the weld on brackets. Part numbers are 916-4109 or 916-41010. You can even get a clamp on bracket if you want to go that way. There's a trick to putting them on though. Put the rotor on the axle that you intend to use first. Assemble the caliper and bracket with the pads on the rotor and pressureize the caliper with either compressed air or hook a brake line to it and have someone step on the brake. This will clamp the caliper down and keep the bracket square with the rotor. Tack the bracket in several places to make sure it's in the right location. Dissassimble everything and weld the bracket solid. We do this all the time on dirt track cars and it's works very well.:)

Charlie you are a big help. Ive narrowed it down to the LS1 swap or the Summit kit that is $469. Now i know you get all the parts from summit. But i like the fact that i can get the parts for the LS1 fairly cheap and put my own setup together. Which company sells that mounting bracket?

Which company sells that mounting bracket?

Speedway motors has the weld on brackets. Part numbers are 916-4109 or 916-41010.

Are you talking about the one I highlighted Irv? This is the one that takes the B or A body calipers if that's the one you're asking about.:)

Forgot a link.:biggrin: Type the part numbers in and you can see them online.:)

Speedway Motors - Street Rod Parts, Race Parts, Ford Flathead Parts, Sprint and Midget Racing Parts, Pedal Car Parts

Thanks. I guess you missed my later post. Its either going to be the LS1 brake swap or the summit complete kit. I am leaning towards the LS1 swap, just need to know what bracket to get and then pick up the parts. I bet a phone call would have taken care of all this info in about 10 minutes. =)

So i found a local source that parts out F Body's and he has a few sets of the rear LS1 brakes. He is the same place i got my efans for my TBSS. So i guess thats the setup im going with. The few threads i have seen on the install is pretty straightforward.

Make sure to get all the hardware including the brake lines Irv. The hoses are ISO instead of ASE so the ends are different. If you can, cut the brackets off the axle which hold the lines on the axle. The other thing you'll need is the brake cable mounts that are bolted on the LCA mounts on the axle. Trans damm brought my build up in the B4black section and the axle mods start on page 7 or 8. Post 227 shows what I did and after that you can see the rest of the mods like the shock off set and my goof of mounting the calipers upside down the first time.:redface: