rear disc conversion

I had to do a little research and found that the stock axle for both the 8.5" and the 7.5" use the same bearing and have the same overall legnth (28 & 7/16"). I also did the LS1 rear disc upgrade on the axle. Everything I read so far ahas indicated that the actual flange you're talking about is the same diameter. I'll try and measure the axle flange on my car and see how big it is so there's actual proof.
Thanks a lot Charlie. I just don't understand why everyone shows only a kit for 7.5 g body with 3 bolt flange when are rear is the same as the flange housing is. When I put in 8.5. Rear end they all show early year 4 bolt flange housings. I wonder if anybody understands That Gn is a 8.5 3 bolt housing

Thanks a lot Charlie. I just don't understand why everyone shows only a kit for 7.5 g body with 3 bolt flange when are rear is the same as the flange housing is. When I put in 8.5. Rear end they all show early year 4 bolt flange housings. I wonder if anybody understands That Gn is a 8.5 3 bolt housing

Well the 7.5" is the most common so I can understand why this happens. On a side note here's a link to the rear brackets you can get and they work fairly easily. On the bottom of the page you can see the brackets and they're only $105 plus shipping and he has the instructions on his site if you want to look at them. :)

Scarebird Classic Brakes LLC

well called ssbc today and they have confirmed that there kit will fit a grandnational without turning down the od of the axle flange so that the rotor will fit over the rotor. they are going to call summit to have them change there application chart. so then i called summit and they told me that there summit brand is the ssbc kit as well as there 2 piston front calipers. it has summit on the front and the ssbc name on the back. so i looked at the picture of the summit front calipers and when you do a 360 degree rotation is says ssbc on the back. going to get the suumit brand REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KIT SUM-BK1333. since it is ssbc. thats like my company hussey copper sells there head gaskets from there website and also summit sells them under there part number. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-BK181R/?rtype=7

went to summit on the way up to pick tranny from janis and had them bring out the bk1333 rear brake kit and it is the g body kit. it has ssbc calipers and the rotor hat is 6.25 so it will fit on the axle. the brackets are thick 1/2 inch plates with a nice support that goes in the hole where the wheel cylinder fit. it is a nice quality piece. i had to argue with them that it is the same bracket as the 79 to 81 and they told me no that it doesnt fit 82 to 88 gbody and that the brackets were for a four bolt i described what the bracket should look like a 3 bolt and there it was. it is just like the directions.

So those brackets and an LS1 rear brake rotor and caliper set. Anything else?

no this is a total kit for a gbody rear conversion. what you are looking for is a kit from scarebird

That kit uses the old caddy calipers, I already have the ls1. And I really don't want to cut the rear end. I'm starting to think a bolt on option doesn't exist. I thought flynbye had a kit but he doesn't return phone calls and has no email address.this is starting to stress me out because I'm having my rear built next week and still dont know what I'm going to use for brakes.
summit one does

Buick Grand National GNX Turbo 1978-87 Regal rear disc brake | eBay thye are for elderado caddy calipers only. they maybe able to make you one

Spoke to the owner of flynbye tonight. Real nice guy but he reassured me I could NOT use the ls1 backing plate/calipers without cutting the ears off the rear end. Now I don't know what to do, I'm not to excited about cutting the rear. I will eventually go to a bear big break kit in the future and don't want to limit my options by cutting the rear.

If you go ahead with the LS1 rear discs then all you'll need to do is get the brakes for a 4th gen camaro. Problem solved.:biggrin:

Cutting up the bracket isn't that bad and it's much easier than you think. I was nevous when I did mine but it really is simple to do.:)

I already have the ls1 backing plates,calipers and new nice rotors and ceramic pads. That's what makes me want to go with that setup.

I already have the ls1 backing plates,calipers and new nice rotors and ceramic pads. That's what makes me want to go with that setup.

My point wasn't clear. What I ment is do the LS1 set up first then if you want to go with bigger brakes you can just get upgraded ones for a camaro. Sorry about the confusion.:)

so are the lt1 calipers similar to the ls1 calipers?

Somewhat the same. Both are single piston aluminum made by PBR.

The difference is in how the packing brake is set up. The LT1 has it built into the caliper, it squeezes the pads to the rotor.

The LS1 brakes ('98 - '02 f-body), the parking brake is a shoe in a drum design. Much better holding power.

RemoveBeforeFlight