Rear coil overs - On sale and pics of my installation of them!

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Having a sale on Spohn Suspension parts and couldn't resist temptation to get their new rear coil over kit for G-body cars. My set just arrived this morning and already put them on the car. My initial concern was that I would not be able to get the car as low as I had it with my Hotchkis f-body springs.

Installation took about two hours without a lift and a bad back. Have adjusted them right where the car was riding height-wise as before and still can lower it at least another 1 1/2" if I wanted to. I am measuring 26 1/2" from the ground to the center of the wheel opening molding. This is with 275/60 x15 BFG drag radials on a 15 x 8 rim.

Pretty easy to install, it is recommended that you break the assembly apart and install the t-bar assembly first. Think I could have done it with the shock/spring fully assembled as delivered but think they tell you to go that route so you don't have to struggle getting the t-bar bolts in while trying to hold the whole assembly too.

So here are some pics of them installed on my GN. Will take it for a test drive tomorrow and report back on how I like them (or not!). I ordered them with the 150 lb springs which they recommend for street / strip use.

qa1rears 007.jpg
qa1rears 001.jpg
qa1rears 002.jpg
qa1rears 003.jpg
qa1rears 004.jpg
qa1rears 005.jpg
qa1rears 006.jpg

Some more pics. The orange stuff on the threads is antiseize. Will wipe that off before I lower to the ground and sorry for the spots on my polished exhaust.;)

qa1rears 013.jpg
qa1rears 007.jpg
qa1rears 008.jpg
qa1rears 009.jpg
qa1rears 013.jpg
qa1rears 007.jpg
qa1rears 008.jpg
qa1rears 009.jpg
qa1rears 010.jpg
qa1rears 011.jpg
qa1rears 012.jpg

OK, took some pics today. Rear tires are 275/60's mounted on 15 x 8 Centerline Rev wheels with 4" backspacing. Had the shocks on softest setting, smooth Buick type ride, on the way home gave the shocks 3 clicks towards a harder setting and could really tell the difference. Like em!

112512pics 007.jpg
112512pics 001.jpg
112512pics 002.jpg
112512pics 003.jpg
112512pics 004.jpg
112512pics 005.jpg
112512pics 006.jpg

The car looks great. I'm thinking of doing the same set up. Did you have the QA1 up front or do you still have the F Body springs.

Stock springs with drop spindles in front, will be going with new control arms and coilovers in the front next winter.

Curious to know how the ride felt after going with the Coil overs from you had previously? Rougher ride? Were you able to adjust them in that they feel the same as your previous setup?

I can adjust the ride wherever I want with a click of the adjusters on the shocks. Softest setting feels like Grandpa's Buick, right now I have it 3 clicks from the softest setting. Feels just right there.

That is a sweet looking G/N.... I hope one day mine will grow up and look like that!!

Nice write up. After seeing pictures of your car, I bought same wheels. My car is stock height now. Looks like I'll be copying you some more after reading this....