Rear Axle Fill Plug - Stuck!

mgmshar

:mad: Why is it that the simple jobs always turn-out to cause the most trouble???:mad:

While trying to remove the little fill plug from my rear axle, I managed to round-out the square hole that you put your 3/8" ratchet extension into. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this plug out, without using a hand grenade or nuclear weapon???

TIA,

An appropriate sized "screw extractor", to fit inside the damaged, rounded off internal square drive. Should be able to find one at a NAPA store, Sears, or a good hardware store. The sharp, left-hand threads will dig into the plug's damaged socket when turned counter-clockwise.

Might also be helpful to let "liquid wrench" soak into the plug's threads first.

I've also found something that can be handy when trying to size something you can't take to the hardware store and thats aluminum foil. Just gently roll some up into a loose rod then jam it into the rounded hole as best you can using a small screwdriver or something to get it in there good so it conforms to the hole shape and size then pull it out and take it with you to find the single extractor bit size you need.

HTH

I had to pull my plug out recently to squirt some posi addative in there. One look at it and I knew it wasnt going to be easy. So I took some "PB Blaster" and sprayed it around the plug, let it soak for about 5 minutes. With just a little muscle, the plug came right out. I cleaned up the threads before I put it back in. :cool: Next time, put a little bit of Anti-Seize on the threads maybe.

I don't know if this happened to anyone, or just me :eek: , but on the plug sometimes it helps to make sure ALL the gunk is scooped out of the square hole for the 3/8" .

I just drained and refilled the gear oil in my car a couple of weeks ago, when I started to crank on the plug it started to round out. I got a small screwdriver and scraped out the gunk in square hole. I was able to get my 3/8" extension in a little further and got better leverage on the plug and it came right out.

Just a little tidbit, if it helps anyone :D

CJ

Maybe I'm all alone here but I just had mine out today and mine isn't a square hole. Mine takes a 3/8 inch allen wrench. I was trying to use an extension til I took a closer look at it. Just a possibility. Penetrating oil might help also. Good luck!!

save yourself the trouble and do as the ford 9" guys do, on the rear cover install a bung and a screw in hand tightned plug, oof course at or above the level of the existing stock plug, while it won't fix your current problem, but you will never have this problem again, enjoy :)
Grant

stuck plug

On another GM car I had one that was rounded out when I bought it.I welded a bolt into the plug.This also gave me a place to get a socket on it. I sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight.I then used an impact wrench set on low and it came right out.Bruce

If you have access to an acetyle torch, the easiest way is to heat the very center of the plug untill it turns red, then let it cool. It will the come out almost with your fingers. The theory is that when you heat the plug, it expands. when it turns red from heat, the molecules in the plug relax, and the plug will no longer be wedged in the hole. (remember that these are pipe threads, and they taper as the go into the housing). When the plug cools, it will contract, getting even smaller. you should then be able to remove it with very little effort. If you can't get a access to touches, then take a 3/8 punch and set it in the plug and give it a good whack with a heavy hammer. This will also loosen the threads, but not nearly as effective as heat. Either way will work. Good luck, Jeff

Another suggestion would be to use a hammer and drift punch or something comparable on the surface of the pipe plug, it should shrink the size of the hole back to where your 3/8" tool will be tight again.:)

Does anyone know for sure what type of threads are used for the rear axle fill plug??? I am assuming that they are pipe threads. Does anyone know the exact size?

Thanks,

PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT TO GET THE PLUG OUT IF THE REAR WAS ON A BENCH. BECAUSE THE 3/8" HOLE IS ROUNDED OUT, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GO FOR N20JUNKIE BUNG IDEA OR PURCHASE ONE OF THOSE ALUMINUM GIRDLE REAREND COVERS THAT HAVE A FILL HOLE ON THE UPPER HALF. GOOD PIECE TO HAVE ANYWAY. AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, IF YOU HAVE THE OCCASION TO PULL OUT YOUR REAR, YOU CAN FIX THE HOLE THEN. ;)

Just be sure that you notice the fill hole on the good aftermarket covers is above the fill level. When you fill it, put the right amount in the diff rather than waiting for it to run out the fill hole.

Well, I don't have an acetylene torch, so I tried to heat-up the plug with my little MAAP gas torch. Didn't work. So, I strategically placed an old, thick sock inside the housing behind the oil plug hole. Then, I used a 1/2" Drill to drill a 1/2" hole all the way through the plug. The sock prevented the drill from hitting the pinion gear and kept the shavings out - who would have thought that an old sock would be so valuable? Then, I pounded a brand-new No. 7 Extractor (Sears Hardware) into the hole as far as my hammer and arm could make it go. With a huge twist from my 12" adjustable wrench, the plug came free. :D The shavings were cleaned-up with a nice, strong magnet.

The funny part was that there was no rust on the threads at all. Apparently, whoever installed the plug before I bought the car was quite the gorilla.

Anyway, hope this little "procedure" helps somebody some day. I'm going to keep the plug on the extractor for a while, as sort of a little trophy to celebrate the time and energy I wasted on this.

Once you get it out, go buy a plug that has a square head on it rather than the 3/8" drive socket hole. Mine is easily removed with a 5/8" wrench..

Goodluck..!!
:)

warm it up with a torch and hold a candle up against the threaded area let the wax melt into the threads then rewarm the plug with the torch... the wax will free it up... it worked on mine!!!