Non TB dealer issues.

Powertechn2

Guys (and gals), I am sure we have all had an issue with a dealership service dept while doing warranty work.

I know there are many horror stories out there, everything from no oil put back in the engine, to vehicles dropped of lifts, smashed during test drives etc...

How do you handle them?

I am "that guy". Meaning that guy that if it can happen, it will. First trip to dealership with 6 month old truck for oil change (free), after saying to be careful and not use an impact, I got to watch a tech through the glass windows go ape with an impact scratching all 4 of my wheels, which I had warned about. Each wheel was $369 dealer cost. After 6 months, a shitty re-finish job that washed off with my car wash and mit, finally that dealer gave me $800 towards new wheels, and that was the last time I went there.

2 years ago, different dealer, same truck, almost 3 years old. Oversize tires along with rack issues from the actual manufacturer of the rack, figured it was still under original warranty. Took it in for rack noises, they replaced the rack. Took 3 weeks. First they ordered a rack for wrong truck configuration. I understood. I am a service tech, and my parts guy gets things wrong. The service manager is actually a pretty nice guy, doesn't ever argue about stuff under warranty with me. He called me saying they had to remove the engine to replace the rack, I called and explained that it is quicker and easier to pull the front diff, and sent links to online instructions/diy rack replacement without pulling the engine. I don't mind helping, and they still get to claim book time to pull the engine as that is what shop manual lists.

Picked the truck up, went to swap wheels to summer set-up, found a front wheel totally wobbly, hub/bearing nut not torqued correctly. Back to the dealer. They took care of it, but was a hassle. Another week without my truck. Service manager came clean and said Sr tech did all the work, except re-assembling the hubs. Said it will never happen again on any of my vehicles.

Last year, rear axle bearing replacement went great.

Two weeks ago I took it in for the timing cover seeping slightly. If I was on the highway for a while at night, then got off I could see faint smoke coming off the headers. Also had a few other things, and a recall.

They re-sealed the timing cover, replaced the water pump as I figured if they were there, they might as well do it while it is warrantable rather than have to take it in next year for water pump seep. Did a few other things that were all minor.

Get home, found a scuff on the bumper, white paint is noticeable on a blacked out truck. I figure it is 6 years old, stuff happens, wasn't mad. While buffing the paint smear off, looked inside the wheel well and found that the tech didn't align all the pins in the valve covers and one of the locator pin bosses in both heads is cracked off. The outside portion is just missing now.

I know it shouldn't cause any issues as everything is tight, all the other bosses are in-tact as much as I can see without tearing anything apart, and by only putting my fingers on them.

Just wtf.

What would you do about this? I don't want the heads or cam towers pulled and replaced for something that isn't causing an issue, but at the same time am definitely not very happy at the moment.

And I don't want to get into a "You should have bought this brand or that brand" discussion, as it is irrelevant.

I take care of anything not warranty myself, so there was no out of pocket for the repair, and I still have 2 years of warranty left that will cover any issues down the road.

Sorry for the TLDR post, but figured I would put some history out there to explain how I am "That guy".

Hell, I needed new tires last fall, took just the wheels/tires in to a tire shop, they managed to fubar my center-caps and lose the retaining rings even after I asked if they wanted me to remove them so they don't lose the retaining rings. They made it right and bought new center-caps, and gave me money back for my issues.

Just my luck never seems to falter, and I am not sure what to do about this issue.

Totally understand. Been there an now nobody touches any vehicle of mine. If I screw it up my bad. Doing your own work you can take time be careful and do it Right. The cost savings is also a major plus over the stealership and careless technicians that don't give a crap about your ride. There are a few I do trust though but 90 percent of the shops are hack artists and thieves.

If it weren't under warranty I would have done it myself. Now I wish I would have just left the slight seep at the timing cover alone. I only took it in as I didn't like knowing my truck with less than 50k miles was having burn off on the headers.

Initial drive I realized it didn't have the power it had before. I figured, and it still may be, that the ecm has to re-learn. Just before it had a noticeable hit. It was like a V8 hitting V-tec. Today it was just no hit. Now I am wondering if they fubar'd my vvt solenoids or timing. Before at a specific rpm it came alive. Have only driven 14 miles, then noticed all this mess. Just thought it needed to re-learn as any time I disco the batt it needs about 200 to 300 miles to re-learn and drive/shift right. Still will roast the tires, still kicks down like normal, just doesn't seem to have that hit. Yes, I know it's a truck, but it was quick, and had a noticeable hit before.

Gdamnit I hate dealerships.

I really do anything that isn't covered myself. If it wasn't for the 28/gallon amsoil burning off I would have left it alone.

I thought everything would be good after I saw the tech didn't throw away my carrier bearing drop shims. Guess not.

Attachments

• IMAG1889.jpg
    IMAG1889.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG1885.jpg
    IMAG1885.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
You sound like my wife's cousin. It took him two years to find a new car to buy - he is a VW/Audi fanatic. He would complain that the white color he wanted wasn't white enough even though that is the only white they offer. He wouldn't buy a demo with 250 miles on it because he had no idea how someone had treated the car during those miles even though it was being sold as new with full warranty and it looked perfectly new also. Some people are very meticulous but it is reasonable to expect to get competent service when you are paying for competent service.

Unfortunely this is an ongoing trend in most trades today. I see things on a daily basis in the hvac/ refrigeration trade that makes you shake your head in disbelief . You have to be vigilant on going over others work and never assume they have the same integrity in their work as you do. If that was my truck they gave back with broken parts from someone's negligence . I would want some restitution for their incompetence.

It really does suck knowing that most dealerships have techs that only care about billed hours, and not the quality of their work. As I have been able to think about my current dilemma for 24 hours, it really has me wondering what else may not have been done right.

I am a tech, so I understand billed hours/pay. However, I treat customers the way I want to be treated, and the equipment the same as I would my own. There are many customers who I am the only tech allowed to touch anything of theirs.

Still haven't heard back from the service manager. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and just assuming he had today off.

Not really sure what to say or ask for in this case. Don't really want them removing 4 cams, chain, etc... Knowing that a bad situation can be made worse due to incompetent wrench turning. On the other hand, not sure what this could affect in the long term. Only having 48k on the truck, it should have had plenty of life left without issues.

You will eventually learn, no one will do the job like you would. No one cares about your vehicle, other than getting it back together asap, and out the door and on to the next one.
Take it in at your own risk.

I have already learned many times, just when it is warranty, they should be able to fix it right, and I shouldn't have to spend my own time fixing warranty issues. I mean, isn't that the only reason to buy a new $42k+ vehicle, the warranty?

I feel your pain!
Many yrs ago, I was a zone service rep for Chevrolet...Saw the same nonsense, when I mediated disputes.
I was also a dlr serv mgr.....Same stuff.
As a customer, w/ my '14 Silverado, same crap!:mad:
So far: 2 differential rebuilds. Same crap. Still noisy.
1 recall for something as simple as changing the hitch out..The moron managed to crush the trlr/winch power cable.:rolleyes:

Not much has changed...............:sour:

Dealerships are joke these days but I will put a plug in for VW. I recently had a pleasant experience with VW service and when I left I was a happy camper.

I cannot say the same for my experience with Phillips and Advantage Chevy. These places and the people who work there are only worried about 1 thing and its not the customer... I will never buy another new GM. Nothing but recycled junk. Its a real shame.. They are real good at making a turd look like a diamond.

Last edited:
I had to stop buying GM a while ago. After the same issue being fixed 3 times, then the T-case deciding it was going to randomly put itself in neutral while driving down the highway with the cruise on... Multiple times... I just couldn't take it anymore. Trying to get over during holiday highway traffic with no forward propulsion wasn't fun. Happened more than a handful of times, a few times while towing. Had to stop, shut the truck off, re-start and go into 4 low, then 4hi, then 2wd and start driving again.
The T-case had a ton of metallic debris in it, but they wouldn't repair it as "It hasn't completely failed yet." per the service manager at the dealership... After learning that it was acceptable to put my safety at risk instead of repairing the issue I was just done with buying new gm products.

The service manager at the dealership I just had my current truck in understands my concerns, I am sure he threw things when he saw the pics in my email. Explained that him and I both know that the likelihood of it being re-repaired correctly is low. Told him to work with the g.m. or sales manager and see what non-profit deal they can work to get me into a new truck.

Really sucks as my truck is paid off, and I have modded it to my liking. All the hours and money spent will be a loss.

They have it down. They make them last just long enough to get them paid off. Then look out. They literally start falling apart and rotting away to nothing. All car makers are guilty of this but GM takes the cake followed close by the other 2 American auto makers.

They sure aren't shy with the price tags though. I would love to know what it really cost to build a new truck. I bet it's 1/3 or less of the msrp. You pay for all the clowns in the dealership walking around with clipboards and safety glasses not even doing anything. And a stupid warranty you have to fight for anything to be done. I would love to launch my truck through the front window of the dealer. I really would. It's on my list of things to do! :wacky:

You almost can’t win in these situations and when you kinda win it’s taken forever.

This one time while having a NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY problem at Honda, I brought in a friend who has giant hands that crush like a vice.

Since I already had in my mind who were the good guys and who were the bad guys, I told my friend i wanted to hear bones cracking from everyone i introduced him to and leave the others be.

My friend is very polite so the look on these douchbags faces as he kindly greeted them with the squeeze of death made my day.

Needless to say, in 2 days time i got a call that my truck was all fixed and covered under warranty.

When I showed up to pick it up WITH MY FRIEND, you could see people scattering and tripping over each other as we were approaching the door.

Sometimes, pain equals good behavior.

Good Luck Sir

D

I've been shopping for almost a year for a new vehicle. My current ride, other than my 87T, is a 2006 Buick Lucerne CX with 37500 miles. Other than a 4" scratch on the front bumper, it's perfect. All the dealers say how great my car is and how nice I keep my ride. Then they insult me with a rock bottom trade in. I'm talking below average Blue Book! I think I'll drive the Lucerne into the ground. Also, if I were to buy a new car, it would be under warranty then I would have to deal with the same crap you are. I wonder if my family would have me committed if I moved to Montana and bought a horse?

I've been shopping for almost a year for a new vehicle. My current ride, other than my 87T, is a 2006 Buick Lucerne CX with 37500 miles. Other than a 4" scratch on the front bumper, it's perfect. All the dealers say how great my car is and how nice I keep my ride. Then they insult me with a rock bottom trade in. I'm talking below average Blue Book! I think I'll drive the Lucerne into the ground. Also, if I were to buy a new car, it would be under warranty then I would have to deal with the same crap you are. I wonder if my family would have me committed if I moved to Montana and bought a horse?

I have the same problem... Caring too much, and taking too great of care of my vehicles. My gn is a mess, but I bought it that way, have nothing but time and it's a hobby.
My truck on the other hand, it looks brand new inside, interior is a 10/10. Outside is a 9/10 when compared to a new truck, when compared to any other truck over 2 years old it's like a 10/10. No rust, not even underneath. Looks like it hasn't seen a winter. I see 1 year old trucks routinely that look horrible underneath. I fluid film it every fall, works great.
2010 w/48k miles, and you wouldn't even know it. Amsoil in diffs and t-case, always in the engine. No rust or oxidization in the engine bay either.
Over $3k in audio and dyna-mat. Custom exhaust, wheels, tires, etc. A few other mods.

Most people think my truck is a 2013, year before the body change. I am always getting compliments on how great it looks and told not to sell it, which is one of the reasons I have kept it for 6 years.

That is why it pisses me off so much when a dealership funks up something like cracking the gdamned cam towers.

Dealers use black book, so blue book is only good for when you want to private party sell. Basically black book lets them buy cheap then make money on the trade, and again on the new vehicle. My last trade in they were supposed to give me $19.5k, kbb was $24k. They swindled me out of about a grand which I didn't notice till the next day and deal was already signed, and I had already taken the vehicle. They sold that suv for $25.5k...

Sorry, I seem to be ranting. I am going to have a drink.

I have the same problem... Caring too much, and taking too great of care of my vehicles. My gn is a mess, but I bought it that way, have nothing but time and it's a hobby.
My truck on the other hand, it looks brand new inside, interior is a 10/10. Outside is a 9/10 when compared to a new truck, when compared to any other truck over 2 years old it's like a 10/10. No rust, not even underneath. Looks like it hasn't seen a winter. I see 1 year old trucks routinely that look horrible underneath. I fluid film it every fall, works great.
2010 w/48k miles, and you wouldn't even know it. Amsoil in diffs and t-case, always in the engine. No rust or oxidization in the engine bay either.
Over $3k in audio and dyna-mat. Custom exhaust, wheels, tires, etc. A few other mods.

Most people think my truck is a 2013, year before the body change. I am always getting compliments on how great it looks and told not to sell it, which is one of the reasons I have kept it for 6 years.

That is why it pisses me off so much when a dealership funks up something like cracking the gdamned cam towers.

Dealers use black book, so blue book is only good for when you want to private party sell. Basically black book lets them buy cheap then make money on the trade, and again on the new vehicle. My last trade in they were supposed to give me $19.5k, kbb was $24k. They swindled me out of about a grand which I didn't notice till the next day and deal was already signed, and I had already taken the vehicle. They sold that suv for $25.5k...

Sorry, I seem to be ranting. I am going to have a drink.
I have to ask. What is fluid film and where do I get it. I wanted to get something for the underside of my truck but not sure what to get.
Thanks, Troy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have to ask. What is fluid film and where do I get it. I wanted to get something for the underside of my truck but not sure what to get.
Thanks, Troy

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Its a liquid that you spray on anything you don't want to rust. It works great. More or less it goes on like a spray lube, but then dries sort of to a waxy coating. It is self healing so rocks, etc don't damage it. It drives away moisture, so unlike undercoating it doesn't just trap it and rust underneath causing the undercoating to eventually flake off.

Any John Deere dealer will have it, Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc... If you don't live in an agricultural area you might have to buy it online. It is used widely for AG equipment that is outside all the time. Shit works great. Smells bad. Also works to prevent ringworm on sheep I guess, so Tractor Supply also carries it.

I use the spray-cans, but there is also a gallon/5gallon size that you use with a cheap hvlp. People have tried a pesticide sprayer, but it is too thick. I just stick with the spray cans as I get them from work on discount.

First year I just sprayed the frame, then I realized it can go anywhere so I started spraying the bed sides, under side of bed, the cross braces, got all up in the corners of everything etc. It doesn't really wash off unless you use a hot water powerwasher or degreaser. It does make a mess, makes you smell like you had a fight with an old lady covered in ben-gay.

Zoro has the best price online for the spray cans.

I would buy 12 spray cans. Normally use 6-8, but if you have to order it online better to just order once.

I just get a few cases transferred in and then we have a film night in fall, put all our trucks up in the air and then only have to clean the floor once. Last fall I got 2 cases of 12, did 3 trucks.

Just had my truck for routine tire rotation and oil change. Picked up on Saturday morning and drove the regal all weekend. On Sunday night I noticed a tire lug missing. Monday after work I drove to the dealership. They asked if I had a appointment. I said no and explained what happened and when I found the lug missing. Management was acting like I took it off. I told him give me a lug and I will put it on.
Thanks chevrolet

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Its a liquid that you spray on anything you don't want to rust. It works great. More or less it goes on like a spray lube, but then dries sort of to a waxy coating. It is self healing so rocks, etc don't damage it. It drives away moisture, so unlike undercoating it doesn't just trap it and rust underneath causing the undercoating to eventually flake off.

Any John Deere dealer will have it, Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc... If you don't live in an agricultural area you might have to buy it online. It is used widely for AG equipment that is outside all the time. Shit works great. Smells bad. Also works to prevent ringworm on sheep I guess, so Tractor Supply also carries it.

I use the spray-cans, but there is also a gallon/5gallon size that you use with a cheap hvlp. People have tried a pesticide sprayer, but it is too thick. I just stick with the spray cans as I get them from work on discount.

First year I just sprayed the frame, then I realized it can go anywhere so I started spraying the bed sides, under side of bed, the cross braces, got all up in the corners of everything etc. It doesn't really wash off unless you use a hot water powerwasher or degreaser. It does make a mess, makes you smell like you had a fight with an old lady covered in ben-gay.

Zoro has the best price online for the spray cans.

I would buy 12 spray cans. Normally use 6-8, but if you have to order it online better to just order once.

I just get a few cases transferred in and then we have a film night in fall, put all our trucks up in the air and then only have to clean the floor once. Last fall I got 2 cases of 12, did 3 trucks.
Ok cool this sounds like a good product for me but I have 1 more question.
Will this still be ok if I have a little bit of rust on the frame and such. It's not bad , mostly just bolts. Thanks for explaining and taking the time.
Troy

Just had my truck for routine tire rotation and oil change. Picked up on Saturday morning and drove the regal all weekend. On Sunday night I noticed a tire lug missing. Monday after work I drove to the dealership. They asked if I had a appointment. I said no and explained what happened and when I found the lug missing. Management was acting like I took it off. I told him give me a lug and I will put it on.
Thanks chevrolet
Sounds about normal. I mean, why wouldn't you go home and take a lug nut off after they rotated? :rolleyes:

I will never understand dealerships.