Re-stalling a non Loc up converter

oldtimer

Is it possible to loosen the bottom end stall speed of a non loc-up converter and tighten up the top end ?? ( on the same converter )

George

George,

I'll give you what limited info I have from many discussions this year with some converter guys.

I am sure some experts can shed more light, but this is my understanding.....

Pump vane angle has a larger effect on the top end. You may be able to tighten up the top end, usually to a max vane angle of 40* - 45*.

The stator design generally has more effect on the bottom end. If you were to cut the stator you may get better spoolup, and may only affect the topend slightly.

So I guess it is possible to do both at once depending on how your converter is currently setup.

I know there are more things that affect stall speed than just these two things, but I believe these are the two that have the most effect.

If I'm off track, I'd like to hear more about it from one of the tranny guru's on the board.

Thanks Clayton, appreciate your imput !

Anybody else out there with experience on this topic ? Tranny Gurus ?

Seems to me that the biggest mod with the most impact on a combination is choosing the right converter. If the car won't spool properly, and/or slips too much on top end, a lot of your money spent on big power, will appear to have been wasted. IMHO

George

Are there any Tranny Gurus that will comment

oldtimer said:
Is it possible to loosen the bottom end stall speed of a non loc-up converter and tighten up the top end ?? ( on the same converter )

George

Any Guru care to answer this question ?? :confused:

oldtimer said:
Any Guru care to answer this question ?? :confused:

What, my reply wasn't good enough ???? ;)

I talked to several converter guys over the summer trying to learn as much as I could, but I would still like to see some guru's reply to this as well.

There's alot more to converters than what I briefly mentioned above.