Ran my 140k stock as delivered from GM short block hard tonight

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I think i have one of the fastest TR's of all time with a stock short block and iron heads.
Heres the numbers:

60' 1.597
330' 4.319
1/8 6.622
1/8 mph 106.98
1000' 8.609
1/4 10.293
1/4 mph 133.46

No wind at all
Barometric pressure 29.54
Temp 60.8F
Hum 97%
Calculated altitude 801ft

This was only my second pass on this combo. I made the comment a while ago to several people that the first pass over 130mph with this engine would be my last with it. Its like Russian roulette with this 140k mile shortblock. The only things i ever did to the short block was replace the front cam bearing and rear main seal. Nothing else at all. Everything is the way it came from GM long ago. The first pass i did resulted in me spinning really bad on the line with an 8 psi t-brake launch. I was only the 6th or 7th car to go in that lane that night. Maybe it was still a little too greasy from the prep? So i opted to foot brake it on the next one and left at 3-4psi. Notice lousy 60' of 1.597. Car started to push through the lights so i let it rip and left before the 3rd light. The car weighs 3550-3600 with me in it. Boost pressure was 28.5 psi. Timing was 21.5-22 degrees. A/f was 10.8:1 with almost zero correction all the way through 3rd gear. I ran VP Q16 fuel. I upped my v/e 9-10% right away with the Q16 and it was right on based on the correction or lack of. With another 1-1.5 degrees timing and a 1.47 60' i think i would have seen 9's but dont want to risk it any longer. I could have easily removed another 60-70 lbs with a fiberglass hood and manual seat track but didnt have time to do this.

70mm TB and plenum
RJC powerplate
plenum spacer
ported stock intake
83lb/hr injectors
FAST XFI
ported iron heads 1.77/1.50
T&D 1.65 rockers
RJC steel gaskets
212-212 Comp roller (total lift at valve is .496)
853 lifters
CPT 66GTQ BB
G-body FMIC
Razor Dual nozzle (2 M10's) turned up all the way on a 3.5 bar MAP
Welded and ported stock headers
3.5"dp with open dump
welded and ported stock manifolds
9.5" PTC converter
200-4R by me with billet internals and KC vb
3.42 rear with Moser axles, Auburn limited slip, and LPW cover
275/60-15 DR's
The PTC converter is really doing its job here. I gained 26.48mph from 1/8 to 1/4. The XFI makes tuning very easy. I wonder how it will run with the RPE 276ci stage 2:biggrin: .

Congrats on the stock block punishment!

What RPM did you cross at? Shift points?

Yeah you probably should retire that shortblock.

In a few weeks I'm gonna either shatter the Alky mph record or my block! 28psi and 24* of timing with no knock. Oh and 71gtq.

Excellent!!!

Big time congrats on your new time.
Excellent work for a high mileage bolt on stock bottom end combo. I know you've heard it many times before tho, that it's a grenade with the pin pulled. I agree with your thoughts, it should dip into the 9's with a better 60ft, some minor tweaks and taking some weight out. A 1.49 short should theoretically put you in the 10.oh range. I'd say, if you already have the Stage II in the works, save your next bonzai passes for a well prepped track with cooler temps, and I'd bump up the timing a little.

So I take it you really like the Q16? I've heard from others who are trying it, who've reported excellent results in other similar turbo applications.
Excellent time for a bolt on car.
Be safe, drive it like you stole it and keep us posted. :D

Patrick

Congrats on the stock block punishment!

What RPM did you cross at? Shift points?

Yeah you probably should retire that shortblock.

In a few weeks I'm gonna either shatter the Alky mph record or my block! 28psi and 24* of timing with no knock. Oh and 71gtq.
I would have loved to see what it would have put down at 24*. It shifted by itself at 5900-6000. Last frame of WOT the rpm was 5750 in 3rd. I just measured the tire height as the tires are on the car and it was 27". I figure they are growing about .5" since they are radials and have minimal growth. Slicks would have grown well over an inch at those speeds. If you plug in the numbers the converter slip based on my trap is 3.075%. If you were to take my actual mph at the end which is a little more than 133.46 and assume 134 the slip is 2.69%. If i were to keep this combo and continue to run on these tires i would drop the shift points to 5700-5800 and run 3.23 gears. The combo starts to give up a little over 5800 rpm. This mph would not be possible without a high quality converter like the PTC. The engine would run out of usable rpm way before i crossed the line.

Holy crap! We going to see the car this weekend at the BBQ at Kash's place???
More than likely ill bring it down. Hopefully ill have the doors replaced by then. Both are smashed and are a big eye sore. Others said it adds to the sleeper effect. I doubt it. Not when you see a cage and an XFI in the car. Now you know why i wanted to race that Z06 so bad. I woudl have whipped him really bad:biggrin: .

Big time congrats on your new time.
Excellent work for a high mileage bolt on stock bottom end combo. I know you've heard it many times before tho, that it's a grenade with the pin pulled. I agree with your thoughts, it should dip into the 9's with a better 60ft, some minor tweaks and taking some weight out. A 1.49 short should theoretically put you in the 10.oh range. I'd say, if you already have the Stage II in the works, save your next bonzai passes for a well prepped track with cooler temps, and I'd bump up the timing a little.

So I take it you really like the Q16? I've heard from others who are trying it, who've reported excellent results in other similar turbo applications.
Excellent time for a bolt on car.
Be safe, drive it like you stole it and keep us posted. :D

Patrick
Its officially retired now. Id be pressing my luck. A little more timing would have helped for sure but we will see who has bigger balls(or more stupidity) than me and wants to push a stock bottom end harder. Its not the fastest stock bottom ive heard of but it is with iron heads and 3600 lbs. The Q16 gets it done. Not exactly sure what i should be targeting but 10.8 seemed safe. maybe 11.0:1 would have been ok and made a few more hp? I wont ever know on this one though.

That's awesome! You should see how many passes it will actually take before something goes wrong. Or go for that 9 second pass;)

I forgot to mention this car has never been trailered anywhere. I drove it 110 miles there and drove it back. Actually drove it 300 miles yesterday:tongue: .

That's awesome! You should see how many passes it will actually take before something goes wrong. Or go for that 9 second pass;)

No thanks. Too dangerous. If it blows the bottom out it could throw oil everywhere. On the tires at 130mph maybe or on the crossover catching the car on fire:eek: . That wouldnt be too considerate to the other racers and could be deadly if on the tires.

No thanks. Too dangerous. If it blows the bottom out it could throw oil everywhere. On the tires at 130mph maybe or on the crossover catching the car on fire:eek: . That wouldnt be too considerate to the other racers and could be deadly if on the tires.

Get yourself an engine diaper then and go at it lol.

BTW, has there been a stock short block in the 9's before??

Gotta love that PTC. Less than 5% slip. Were you spraying alky on q16?

The alky was a turned all the way up but i have a 3.5 bar MAP sensor so it would be less flow than a 3 bar.

Get yourself an engine diaper then and go at it lol.

BTW, has there been a stock short block in the 9's before??

Not sure. Brian Cotton ran 10.03@134 (Not exactly sure on e.t. and mph but its right near there) with a customers car but he said it was a little lighter and GN1 headed.